My doors won't close! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a '73 fj40 with the old style doors. My question to everyone is do your doors close when you swing them shut? Mine won't and I have to open the latch and push them, then let off. Its not that big a deal, I'm used to it, but I'm tired of my passengers slamming the door, only to have it bounce back open. I have taken the latches apart, cleaned and lubed everything in them, and nothing is binding or rubbing but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Would new latches solve this or is this just the way it is?

How is your hard top sitting?

I am asking because mine wouldnt shut because the body mounts were shot and the tub had slanted downward up front. Couldnt figure out why the door had to be held shut with a bungee cord.

If this isnt the case, since you have taken it all apart and cleaned up the moving parts, I would say adjust the striker and the part on the tub that the door latches against. Everything should be pretty easy to line up. Also check out your hinges as well to be sure there isnt any slop there, and be sure that they arent bent for some reason.

[quote author=fj40mayo link=board=1;threadid=4787;start=msg36315#msg36315 date=1062168694]
p.s.--- My strikers are adjusted.
[/quote]

Ahhh. Well, is there any paint rubbed off anywhere where the door meets the tub?>

My hardtop sits fine.... its in the floor in my garage. Couldn't resist. The hinge pins are new and have new bushings. There are no places where it rubs on the tub or windshield frame.

what if you hold the door up -- i mean hold the door handel, pick it straight up -- do you have any play up and down?? try and close while holding door up -- my DS door is like yours but when i pick it up it fits good and latches like the PS.

Grease the latch. Helps a lot!

I mean, right on the latch.

I put new weatherstripping on not too long ago and thought that may have been it, but it wasn't. I've disassembled the latches and regreased and lubed them. I've adjusted the strikers and made sure my hinges are adjusted properly and swing free. The only thing I can figure is the latches are old and dont work like they should anymore. Since I've had the cruiser (about 5 years) the doors have worked this way. I just dont want to buy new latches only to find out this is how all these doors close.

I had the same problem with my 79 recently when I put my top back on. I also just installed new weather strip. I just had to loosen the bolts on the door and lift the door itself up higher- then tighten the bolts. they both shut great now. They just weren't lining up right, so they would hit the strike and bounce back.

My 74 does the same exact thing every few months. The slide portion of the latch is expected to slide back at a 90 degree angle to the direction of impact. To make this possible they put a Ramp or bevel on the latch bar and slope the striker. Mucho mucho friction. The cure is lubrication. The best lube I have found was some chain oil that wasn't good enough for my race bike but had good enough adherance to stay in the slide bar of the latch. Light oils like WD-40 dry out to fast. Get the lube worked into the latch by pushing the bar in repeatedly by hand while lubing. I know it sounds way too simple but it works.

I totally agree with Hammerhead. I just used MP lithium grease. Like a miracle. Not only that, but eliminated a REALLY disturbing door clunk I had when driving down rough roads. Couldn't believe it!

you should try this, use a high lift on one front corner and jack up the cruser just about 4 cranks before getting your wheels off the ground try the dr if this makes it work your body mounts are too tight and your body has stayed in a possition when your drs got out of whack. is your hood alignment good if not this will tell you that your body is out, so you migth have to make a ajustment on your mounts

I replaced the spring inside the latches and added some grease (alot), and they work great. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom