My DIY Front Mount Intercooler -KZJ78 - Work In Progress (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More pictures of the install:

20231111_142955.jpg

20231111_143005.jpg

20231111_143009.jpg

20231111_143023.jpg

20231111_143028.jpg

Thank you. I'm just getting into printing so I'm still shopping around for equipment...but this is the exact reason that I want to play with it: too many good opportunities to create parts that we can't otherwise fabricate with ease.

Again, that's nice work that you're doing; very inspiring. 👍

Very nice! Are you using PLA or ABS?
PETG, pla is absolutely too low of a temp for the engine bay... The PETG material is better but not a permanent solution either. Once I'm done with this prototype I plan to reprint in carbon fiber nylon for a lighter stronger solution

PETG, pla is absolutely too low of a temp for the engine bay... The PETG material is better but not a permanent solution either. Once I'm done with this prototype I plan to reprint in carbon fiber nylon for a lighter stronger solution

So that would be preferable to ABS in this usage?

So that would be preferable to ABS in this usage?
ABS will be sufficient for an intake but keep it away from hot objects in the engine bay. The cf nylon is better for high temps but it's more difficult to work with and pricier too

I really like your approach to this. The 1KZ is a brilliant engine once intercooled.
I have worked on quite a few.
My last setup (in a KZN130 Surf/4runner) I deleted the throttle body, and converted the pedal to actuate the auto trans cable and the throttle position sensor.
Shutdown was harsh, but survivable.
I later on cut the flanges of an intake manifold from the older Toyota 3L series engine (Mech pump, 2.8 litre, basic as heck). RE-welded it to the 1kz flanges (the intake ports lined up nicely)
I really noticed the increase in speed it took to reach full boost. 2.25" piping was the best size as it could keep the gas velocity high enough.
The 150HP and 300nm at the wheels was likely a bit too much 'race boy' and loud!

I really like your approach to this. The 1KZ is a brilliant engine once intercooled.
I have worked on quite a few.
My last setup (in a KZN130 Surf/4runner) I deleted the throttle body, and converted the pedal to actuate the auto trans cable and the throttle position sensor.
Shutdown was harsh, but survivable.
I later on cut the flanges of an intake manifold from the older Toyota 3L series engine (Mech pump, 2.8 litre, basic as heck). RE-welded it to the 1kz flanges (the intake ports lined up nicely)
I really noticed the increase in speed it took to reach full boost. 2.25" piping was the best size as it could keep the gas velocity high enough.
The 150HP and 300nm at the wheels was likely a bit too much 'race boy' and loud!

This is a very helpful thread and your 3D scanning, design and end result for the sealed airbox is outstanding! Well done and subscribed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom