My 77 FJ40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome truck. We should have mounted the front bumper while we were at it.
Great work Dave. :beer:

You're right. Do that Saturday.

Last edited:
Started bleeding the brake master this evening. Will do the brakes tomorrow.

For this, I bought a short piece of brake line with fittings and cut it in half. I then bent each piece and attached a short piece of hose to each one.

20170310_175424.jpg
20170310_174258.jpg

There is no way a SN Celebration would make it till March in my fridge. One of my favorites.

Good eye. You'd fit right in with the rest of my buddies.

Thanks. Going to bleed the brakes since more this morning. The lift springs I was going to swap in aren't in Austin and I don't think I have enough clearance between the rear quarters and tire to be able to take it to Katemcy on the stock springs. Lee suggested putting some longer shackles in the rear, but I don't think it will buy me much.

Here's how much clearance I have with the stock springs.

20170308_173707.jpg

Another option is to swap the rims and use the stock steel rims. That might suck the tire in behind the quarter panel.

Thanks. Going to bleed the brakes since more this morning. The lift springs I was going to swap in aren't in Austin and I don't think I have enough clearance between the rear quarters and tire to be able to take it to Katemcy on the stock springs. Lee suggested putting some longer shackles in the rear, but I don't think it will buy me much.

Here's how much clearance I have with the stock springs.

View attachment 1418292

Another option is to swap the rims and use the stock steel rims. That might suck the tire in behind the quarter panel.

@Dave, what size tires (sorry too lazy to re-read the thread)? I'm 10.5 X 15s on steelies and mine done touch. The other option is to bring her just to run her and shake her out but not wheel her

33x10.50 on 15x8's

33x10.50 on 15x8's

Those are 2.5" wider than the steelies, so your tires will stand taller and narrower than they do on those rims. I think they'd tuck under and ride fine. I dig em but you know me.

Get that thing going to roundup. I was planning on doing more testing than wheeling as well.

The other issue is that the shocks are sized for the lift and don't have much room to compress.

Got tired of bleeding brakes and added some straps to the STC top that then attach to the tail gate footman loops. Still need to cut the straps down some.
20170311_160616.jpg

Dave, The Old Rustbucket has 33x1050's on stock 62 wheels, stock height springs and shackles. No rubbing.

Lee's FJ40 33x1050x15 Rear Tires.jpg

Thanks. I just need to find a cheap mom and pop place to swap the tires.

Well, I went ahead and ordered a new brake booster from Roger @Racer65 . Should be here mid week.

Thanks. I just need to find a cheap mom and pop place to swap the tires.

Well, I went ahead and ordered a new brake booster from Roger @Racer65 . Should be here mid week.

Dave, give Tony a shout at the Auto Stoppe on Burnet one block north of the clubhouse. He mounted my steelies for me and I'm gonna take him my spare on Wednesday (I have a new wheel coming from TEQ since one of my rescues isn't round). I'd give him a shot at purging the air from your brake lines while he's at it. You can walk down to Billy's for a beverage to celebrate the approaching finish line while he does the work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom