My 2nd 100, this one from Japan! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Tareq, thanks for answering some of my q's on insta last night. Would you mind posting hub-center to fender lip measurements when you get a chance? I really love the way this is sitting. Such a beautiful truck all around.

Fron passenger side just under 44cm, driver side, just over 44cm. RHD 100 ;)

Back is level at 58cm. Taller rear spring on driver side, opposite of gas tank.

I put 1 gallon water jug for reference :)

Thanks so much! Such a fine specimen... I hope it lasts you forever :)

Thank you for the compliment :)

i will definitely drive this platform until i can afford a 300 series, or maybe another jdm 200 series 2016+ body shape! ;) I will enjoy this for now :)

A lot of RHD cars from Japan are here brought in by dealers affiliated with this website ;
link : www.beforward.jp

I have nothing to do with that site, but one can also buy direct,

As the cars are mostly low mileage and well taken care of and as they have very cheap deals, it became a plague to bring them and now close half of the cars here are RHD.

:cheers:

Last edited:
A lot of RHD cars from Japan are here brought in by dealers affiliated with this website ;
link : www.beforward.jp

I have nothing to do with that site, but one can also buy direct,

As the cars are mostly low mileage and well taken care of and as they have very cheap deals, it became a plague to bring them and now close half of the cars here are RHD.

:cheers:

Good info.
The website you mentioned shows inventory from all over the world. I was looking exclusively at Japanese inventory, and this is one of the websites i used.

I thought I do this 35s driving impression for everyone's benefit.

33s vs 35s , 100 series, 4.7 v8 (non VVTI), both have A750 transmission.

Tires:
33s = 275/70/18 = Toyo AT2 E rated
35s = 285/75/18 = Toyo AT2 E rated

Acceleration:
No problem accelerating from 0 to 100km/hr (100 is approx 110). Shift points happen before 2000rpm.

Maintaining hwy speed requires rpm to be just under 2000rpm, vs 2200 on 33s.
Driving on the country roads at 70-80 km/hr rpm is at 1200rpm vs around 1700rpm on 33s.
Merging from ramp to highway from 50 to 100 is effortless, I dont touch 2500rpm, but if u floor it to 4500rpm it is doable in less than 5 sec.
On 35s, the vehicle will decelerate as soon as you take ur foot off the pedal. It feels like you are braking.
I can hear the slight humming of the 285s vs 275s, but maybe the LX had better insulation.

On a 45 degree incline on HWY, both maintain 120km, if u approach the hill below 100km/hr, both will downshift to 4th. Going down the same hill, downshifting to 3rd at the top, 33s will go above 120 and rpm above 3000, and you need to apply brakes. 35s will maintain 100, rpm slightly over 2500.

As long as you dont do towing, there is no need to regear.
Standard tires on the 100 should have been 33s not 31 in my opinion.

Offroad driveability
On 4H I feel the gears are tall sometimes, so I need to go down 1 gear, 2nd to 1st for example.
I definitely use the brakes more often on downhills, even of 1st.
On 4L there is no problem. The gears are very adequate. Never used 1st as 2nd is very short on 45 incline on loose surface.

Fuel economy:
On the highway, the difference is noticable, but very minimal. However, in city driving it is VERY bad. So think twice before going 35s if you do a lot of city driving and concerned about mpg.

Will I buy 35s again?
That depends on 2 factors.

1) I expect this set to last me at least 4 years. If find that 35s are killing front end components much earlier than their normal life expectancy, the answer is no. I am mostly concerned about the steering rack. Hopefully it last until 200,000km. If I replace it much sooner, I will go back to 33s. I am not considering 34s as they weigh as much as 35s so they have the same stress level I assume. Either 33s or 35s.

2) If I decide to buy 35s again, I will have to consider my willingness to pay for the JDM style body lift of 2 inches. I dont think the 100 is lifted enough now, thats why I was aiming at the solid front axle Patrol. I took it offroad this weeked, but no axle twisting action yet so I dont know how much rubbing to expect. If I am willing to pay for a body lift, then I will definitely get 35s again.

Them jeepers always make my 100 look small, haha! 3.5" and 37s :)

VS stock pathfinder on left, middle looks lifted.

Last edited:

At 1970m altitude this weekend

_ no rubbing so far with 35s
_ 4.7 does not like high altitude
- HWY MPG is 16.9, not flat either :)
- offroad MPG 12.5
- LSD works! :)
- 33s were good with 20psi, but 35s will try to go to 16 next time.

Spun Landy 2 times on the gravel road turns, the weight makes it impossible to drive as fast as the others, looking forward to next weekend ;)

I love the rear hatch and spare tire carrier! Fabulous rig you have there! :cool:

Thanks man! :)
That tire carrier was a must when i was searching for a 100, only 4 had them of 105 100s between 2002 to 2004 i was looking at :)

I just dropped the car at the mechanic for spark plugs change, NGK 4589, rated for 100k miles, and he was going to check the condition of the timing belt too, but i guess he wont have to :)

As soon as we took the engine cover off, we saw this @hoser @DirtDawg i guess now i am ready for another 150,000km ;)

I wish i had the full history record of this car, but looks good so far :)

Last edited:
2 Japanese friends told me the translation says "change" not "changed" at 100km. I am confused now :) This member had the same issue

If it was “Changed at...” the mileage would’ve been written in.

If it was “Changed at...” the mileage would’ve been written in.

Yea, if it was "changed" already, then there would be hand writing of km + date of service i assume.

I hate not having any records on this, only 5 oil change stickers by the door

Last edited:
Guys, my radio only scans from 75 to 90 on FM radio, how can i change that? I cant pick up any radio station in that range.
It seems like the whole head unit is useless
You got a Japan radio. Just like how DVDs didn't play on NA players, the radio won't scan the US fm freq here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom