My 2nd 100, this one from Japan! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 2249239

As i hit this milestone today, i would love to get ur opinion on running 35s, without regearing, on my transmission. Sometimes when i am coasting, take my foot off the gas then press again, i feel that "transmission thump".
I think that is just the gap in the driveline made by the bigger tires, nothing major to worry about, correct?

I dont tow at all, and my 100 came without transmission cooling like my old LX.

Thank you!
Thump imo could be from worn drive flanges or in a worn ujoint. Could also be from bad trans mount.

Would not be from larger tires

Thump imo could be from worn drive flanges or in a worn ujoint. Could also be from bad trans mount.

Would not be from larger tires

Thank you!
Recently when i come to a stop at a traffic light, sometimes there is slight rupture in the cabin, it goes away when i shift to N. Does this situation help u narrow down the causes of the earlier problem or is it irrelevant?

Ya that sounds like a mount.

Ya that sounds like a mount.

Thank you!
You seem very sure about it after mentioning the second issue. As i mentioned, both issues happen sometimes, when do u think it is necessary to go ahead and replace the transmission mount? When subtle cabin rupture become more noisy?

At first i thought it is too soon for the low mileage but it is an 18yr old vehicle!

Hi guys,
Today I started my 100 and it sounded like it is straight pipe. So I went underneath and took this picture.. doesn't look broken, I think someone cut my exhaust do u agree??

20210221_202239.jpg

I agree. Looks like they tried to steal the cats and gave up?

The officer had the same conclusion as yours.
I didn't know people steal exhausts, and I am not sure if they gave up or will come back to finish the job

Any harm in driving it like this until I fix it? Should be just a welding job to close the gap correct?

Last edited:
The officer had the same conclusion as yours.
I didn't know people steal exhausts, and I am not sure if they gave up or will come back to finish the job

Any harm in driving it like this until I fix it? Should be just a welding job to close the gap correct?
I'd be very worried that the they would comeback to finish the job, take every precaution you can!

Yes, it should be ok to drive for a short while, but I wouldn't put a lot of miles on it as the motor might run rich due to the O2 sensors reading being impacted.

And yes, it can be welded or you can probably even use some exhaust repair tape on it to seal it up

I'd be very worried that the they would comeback to finish the job, take every precaution you can!

Yes, it should be ok to drive for a short while, but I wouldn't put a lot of miles on it as the motor might run rich due to the O2 sensors reading being impacted.

And yes, it can be welded or you can probably even use some exhaust repair tape on it to seal it up

Very helpful, thank you very much!
I will consider both options.

The officer thought they didn't bother going beyond making the first cut for some reason. Everything else seems to be intact, nothing is shaking or rattling.

Reactions: GTV

I fixed it with the exhaust tape, worked well, but the theives came last night and stole both. Even if I replace them now they can steal them again because of my parking situation :(

What's the best place to order online?

Thank you!

I'd look into after market options. It is just disgusting how helpless the law is in preventing thefts like these!
Perhaps some kind of aftermarket underbody armor might help deter the thieves?

I'd look into after market options. It is just disgusting how helpless the law is in preventing thefts like these!

They'll steal your skid plates too, costing you more money lol.

When things like this happen to me, it's a cue to gtfo out the neighborhood.

You are right, the police didn't bother coming for the 2nd report.

They'll steal your skid plates too, costing you more money lol.

When things like this happen to me, it's a cue to gtfo out the neighborhood.

These thugs are from other areas. On the rise everywhere. I have seen on YouTube it takes them 60 seconds to complete the job

Might be worth it to lower your comprehensive deductible accordingly.

Yes, but if it keeps occurring, it will continue to be a problem and will raise my premium.

I will use public transportation for now until I figure a safe option and fix it.

These thugs are from other areas. On the rise everywhere. I have seen on YouTube it takes them 60 seconds to complete the job

Skid plates. Could they remove them? Possibly, but anything that takes more time is going to be a theft deterrent.

Skid plates. Could they remove them? Possibly, but anything that takes more time is going to be a theft deterrent.

Some buy cats lock or wel it to the frame.
These guys have all the tools to make it fast, that's why they came again prepared! They removed my mid plates with 6 screws to get the other side cat out, and left the skid on the street.

Friends suggested a sensitive & loud car alarm.

I started the car today for 15 sec to get a sense for my commute tomorrow to a shop, sounded like an F15 jet!!! Terrible for such a prestine & smooth running car!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom