My 2nd 100, this one from Japan! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

I am back!

After I sold Lexy last Christmas, I was looking forward to import a Nissan Patrol from
Japan, but for every Patrol I found there were over 20 Landcruisers. I failed to find a
Patrol for the right price, the scarcity of it makes it at least 40% more expensive than a
landcruiser of the same year and mileage. Solid drivetrain, but not sure it was 40% better!

Long story short, I found the landcruisers more appealing in terms of price and
availability of spare parts. After 4 months of searching, and failing to get one for the
prices I was fighting for, I finally found 1 in the local craigslist. Made an offer I was
surprised the owner accepted it immediately!!! I thought the ad was a scam!

5 minutes after I saw the Landcruiser, Landy, I told the owner take my money!
The auction sheets show it was grade 4 car (4 out of 6). Meanwhile, I was looking at
grade 3.5 or 3 from Japan for the money I wanted to spend. I almost paid for grade 4,
2003, with only 45,000km, but then the agent told me the undercarriage is painted, not
bare metal. Unfortunately many vehicles were painted, but the agents are honest about it.

Anyhow, I saved over $5,000 by not importing it myself and paying for a grade 4 vehicle
directly to an agent there. The owner is has a hobby of importing JDM vehicles and
selling them for a decent profit. He got it 3 weeks ago, and just put an ad last week.
According to the papers, he made decent money, and we are both happy, even though
my offer was 30% lower than asking price, haha! Savage!! :D

After I go the keys, I asked him why he accepted my offer, he said
his wife forced him to move some of his cars off the driveway or else! LOL

Landy

2002, 100,000km, A750 transmission (5 speed) apparently introduced in Japan in the
2nd half of 2002, so clean and almost 99% rust free it was unbelievable!
I am glad I got to inspect and drive the vehicle before I buy it.

It drives like I just bought it new! Even better than Lexy!
I appreciate how Japanese people take care of their vehicles.

Plan for Mods ;)

Lift Kit –
Most cruisers come with AHC in Japan, so I made sure I dont buy one with it!
I will put the same lift kit I had in Lexy, IronMan Cell Pro Foam. I liked them.
But I never tried the OMEs anyways.

Tires –
Landy, thankfully, came with 18s aftermarket wheels. I researched them, apparently only sold in
Japan. Wheels were categorized as SUV wheels, but not as 4x4 wheels, so not sure
they can take offroad punishment. However, I like the fact that they are 18 as I am
planning to buy 285/75/18, true 35s.

According to research in this forum, that is the best
size for 35s that with fit with no rubbing, even if I keep the stock UCA.

I might paint the wheels bronze or gun metal grey, not sure yet.
They look similar to those Rays wheels I think.

Spare tire in the back is original 17 so I am not sure if I shoud get 315/70/17 for it as a
spare, or just get an 18 steel wheel and buy a fifth 285/75/18.

Does the spare tire have to be rotated with the other 4, or just keep it as spare?
Stock tires now are winters, 285/60/18. Humming on the HWY.

I plan on getting the same tires I had in Lexy, TOYO AT2, but might consider the KO2 or maybe TOYO RT
I dont think the TOYO MT are necessary.

Timing Belt -
Most JDM 100s had stickers showing timing belt was changed between 95 to
99,000km, which is much earlier than about 150,000km interval, but Landy has no
stickers, however, the waterpump looks different than Lexy, it looks blue, so not it is the
original I assume. What do u guys recommend?

No plans to add a rear bumper as Landy comes with a tire carrier standard, haha, I
know many of you wish they had that! I might buy a Slee front bumper, but not sure I
want one as of now.

Only 2 cruisers of 105 between 2002 and 2004 came with a rear difflocker, very rare!
Oh, and only 4 maybe with a rear tire carrier like mine, love it!!
Might add ARB difflock in the future, will see!

For those who might ask “why didn’t you get the 4.2 diesel form Japan?” I honestly
considered it, but for the price premium, I will have to drive it for at least 8 or so years to
recoup the difference in price (gas prices, not including maintenance cost) then after 8
years I can start enjoying the MPG savings. I don’t think it was worth it to be honest, especially if you are not towing.
Most 4.2s cost double the 4.7s for the same year and mileage!!

I will update this thread as I make progress in building Landy, stay tuned.
Oh, I still have the drawers from Lexy, putting them in this weekend!

To any Canadian looking for a 100 from the USA, forget it!
Consider getting one from Japan! Mine has only 100,000km, and if u find that mileage in the USA (assuming u find
one + rust free) you will pay at least twice the price I paid for mine. The process is
frustrating and scary when you plan to drop big money on a car you never inspected,
but I think it is worth it!

Oh, and you will be driving on the RIGHT side! Haha!
Good Luck! :D

Last edited:
BTW let me know if you go on another adventure, i'm heading out to Moab June 13 now, i'll be out west for a month, might lose job when i come back but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

This is nice and all, but what are you going to do at McDonald's drive thrus?

Thank you, but whats "McDonalds"? and whats a "drive thru"? LOL

Maybe i will drive backwards :) or even better, drive in from the exit side hahaha!! :D

Last edited:
BTW let me know if you go on another adventure, i'm heading out to Moab June 13 now, i'll be out west for a month, might lose job when i come back but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Oh I wish man!
Unlike Lexy, Landy will be for daily driving and weekend adventures only.
Time to settle down and get on with my life, but planning to do Alaska sometime! :)

Can I ask how much you paid?

The plus side of Japanese vehicles is that they often have very low km's. The minus is that the steering wheel is on the incorrect side, and they have mirrors everywhere.

I see a lot of Japanese LC's for sale in Alberta, but they are usually asking way too much compared to a domestic.

Can I ask how much you paid?

The plus side of Japanese vehicles is that they often have very low km's. The minus is that the steering wheel is on the incorrect side, and they have mirrors everywhere.

I see a lot of Japanese LC's for sale in Alberta, but they are usually asking way too much compared to a domestic.

Only owners of 80 series diesels are asking ridiculous prices!
I cant declare how much I got it for but the equivalent price in the USA will get me a 2003 LC with 250k miles so over 400k km!!!

It took me 5 minutes to get used to the RHD, drove it home for 30km on the HWY, smooth!

Lucky for BC and Alberta people the insurance isn't a hassle. Rest of Canada, insurance premiums are 3x what they are for RHD, on top of already expensive insurance already.

How much is your yearly insurance bill from ICBC?

You're right about not getting a LC from USA though, its highly over inflated meanwhile nobody really wants these in Japan because of fuel costs and taxes and such. I've looked at the auction prices and low mileage ones straight out of Japan are dirt cheap compared to USA. 75k mile LXs are going for like $25-30k in the USA while 100 series Cygnus and LC100s can be had with under 100k kms for anywhere from $9-13k. Shipping is a pain though unless you live in the vicinity of a RORO route.

Good find! Congrats.

Last edited:
Why did you buy a gasser when you are able to buy an HDJ101?

You can buy 2 low mileage uzj100s for the price of a 200k mile HDJ101. Everyone wants the HDJs and they command a premium out of Japan.

Lucky for BC and Alberta people the insurance isn't a hassle. Rest of Canada, insurance premiums are 3x what they are for RHD, on top of already expensive insurance already.

How much is your yearly insurance bill from ICBC?

You're right about not getting a LC from USA though, its highly over inflated meanwhile nobody really wants these in Japan because of fuel costs and taxes and such. I've looked at the auction prices and low mileage ones straight out of Japan are dirt cheap compared to USA. 75k mile LXs are going for like $25-30k in the USA while 100 series Cygnus and LC100s can be had with under 100k kms for anywhere from $9-13k. Shipping is a pain though unless you live in the vicinity of a RORO route.

Good find! Congrats.

Thank you!! :)

You are right!
ICBC gave me a high rate, but I didnt get the insurance for now until I can get my driving history from Ontario to be able to get the discounted rate. Stupid since we live in 1 country!!

If your vehicle is close to Tokyo, shipping is no problem. If not, they will charge you inland transportation.

As I mentioned in the OP,
"For those who might ask “why didn’t you get the 4.2 diesel form Japan?” I honestly
considered it, but for the price premium, I will have to drive it for at least 8 or so years to
recoup the difference in price (gas prices, not including maintenance cost) then after 8
years I can start enjoying the MPG savings. I don’t think it was worth it to be honest, especially if you are not towing.
Most 4.2s cost double the 4.7s for the same year and mileage!! "

As I mentioned in the OP,
"For those who might ask “why didn’t you get the 4.2 diesel form Japan?” I honestly
Most 4.2s cost double the 4.7s for the same year and mileage!! "

Missed this, sorry. Nice truck you found.

Missed this, sorry. Nice truck you found.

Thank you!! :cool:
I love the 4.2s, but not at those prices!

Ordering the lift kit tomorrow, but not sure yet if I should get the TOYO AT2 or TOYO RT tires.
Also searching for the "50th anniversary" badges! :)

Only owners of 80 series diesels are asking ridiculous prices!
I cant declare how much I got it for but the equivalent price in the USA will get me a 2003 LC with 250k miles so over 400k km!!!

It took me 5 minutes to get used to the RHD, drove it home for 30km on the HWY, smooth!

"Anyhow, I saved over $5,000 by not importing it myself and paying for a grade 4 vehicle
directly to an agent there. "

"According to the papers, he made decent money, and we are both happy, even though
my offer was 30% lower than asking price, "

"I love the 4.2s, but not at those prices! "

How very cryptic:
Tareq:"I got a great deal on my Land Cruiser"
CanadianRockyCruiser: "How much?"
Tareq: "I can't tell you because it's top secret, but it was a great deal. Instead, I'll measure it in relative terms to give you a series of strange and vague hints."
CanadianRockyCruiser: "Wow that is a great deal...(maybe?)"

Glad you like your new-to-you Toyota. Looks nice, and having a low km vehicle is always nice for a used rig. Will you be applying very large decals to the side and rear windows of this one?

Only 2 cruisers of 105 between 2002 and 2004 came with a rear difflocker, very rare!
Are you saying yours came with a rear diff locker? I see LSD... and if LSD, then no ATRAC, right?

As for the 2002, 5 speed. Your 100 will have a build date of 8/2002 or later and would be considered a 2003 model year in the US.

Last edited:

I am back!

After I sold Lexy last Christmas, I was looking forward to import a Nissan Patrol from
Japan, but for every Patrol I found there were over 20 Landcruisers. I failed to find a
Patrol for the right price, the scarcity of it makes it at least 40% more expensive than a
landcruiser of the same year and mileage. Solid drivetrain, but not sure it was 40% better!

Long story short, I found the landcruisers more appealing in terms of price and
availability of spare parts. After 4 months of searching, and failing to get one for the
prices I was fighting for, I finally found 1 in the local craigslist. Made an offer I was
surprised the owner accepted it immediately!!! I thought the ad was a scam!

5 minutes after I saw the Landcruiser, Landy, I told the owner take my money!
The auction sheets show it was grade 4 car (4 out of 6). Meanwhile, I was looking at
grade 3.5 or 3 from Japan for the money I wanted to spend. I almost paid for grade 4,
2003, with only 45,000km, but then the agent told me the undercarriage is painted, not
bare metal. Unfortunately many vehicles were painted, but the agents are honest about it.

Anyhow, I saved over $5,000 by not importing it myself and paying for a grade 4 vehicle
directly to an agent there. The owner is has a hobby of importing JDM vehicles and
selling them for a decent profit. He got it 3 weeks ago, and just put an ad last week.
According to the papers, he made decent money, and we are both happy, even though
my offer was 30% lower than asking price, haha! Savage!! :D

After I go the keys, I asked him why he accepted my offer, he said
his wife forced him to move some of his cars off the driveway or else! LOL

View attachment 1978075

View attachment 1978076

View attachment 1978078

View attachment 1978079

View attachment 1978080

Landy

2002, 100,000km, A750 transmission (5 speed) apparently introduced in Japan in the
2nd half of 2002, so clean and almost 99% rust free it was unbelievable!
I am glad I got to inspect and drive the vehicle before I buy it.

It drives like I just bought it new! Even better than Lexy!
I appreciate how Japanese people take care of their vehicles.

Plan for Mods ;)

Lift Kit –
Most cruisers come with AHC in Japan, so I made sure I dont buy one with it!
I will put the same lift kit I had in Lexy, IronMan Cell Pro Foam. I liked them.
But I never tried the OMEs anyways.

Tires –
Landy, thankfully, came with 18s aftermarket wheels. I researched them, apparently only sold in
Japan. Wheels were categorized as SUV wheels, but not as 4x4 wheels, so not sure
they can take offroad punishment. However, I like the fact that they are 18 as I am
planning to buy 285/75/18, true 35s.

According to research in this forum, that is the best
size for 35s that with fit with no rubbing, even if I keep the stock UCA.

I might paint the wheels bronze or gun metal grey, not sure yet.
They look similar to those Rays wheels I think.

Spare tire in the back is original 17 so I am not sure if I shoud get 315/70/17 for it as a
spare, or just get an 18 steel wheel and buy a fifth 285/75/18.

Does the spare tire have to be rotated with the other 4, or just keep it as spare?
Stock tires now are winters, 285/60/18. Humming on the HWY.

I plan on getting the same tires I had in Lexy, TOYO AT2, but might consider the KO2 or maybe TOYO RT
I dont think the TOYO MT are necessary.

Timing Belt -
Most JDM 100s had stickers showing timing belt was changed between 95 to
99,000km, which is much earlier than about 150,000km interval, but Landy has no
stickers, however, the waterpump looks different than Lexy, it looks blue, so not it is the
original I assume. What do u guys recommend?

No plans to add a rear bumper as Landy comes with a tire carrier standard, haha, I
know many of you wish they had that! I might buy a Slee front bumper, but not sure I
want one as of now.

Oh, and only 4 maybe with a rear tire carrier like mine, love it!!
Might add ARB difflock in the future, will see!

For those who might ask “why didn’t you get the 4.2 diesel form Japan?” I honestly
Most 4.2s cost double the 4.7s for the same year and mileage!!

I will update this thread as I make progress in building Landy, stay tuned.
Oh, I still have the drawers from Lexy, putting them in this weekend!

To any Canadian looking for a 100 from the USA, forget it!
Consider getting one from Japan! Mine has only 100,000km, and if u find that mileage in the USA (assuming u find
one + rust free) you will pay at least twice the price I paid for mine. The process is
frustrating and scary when you plan to drop big money on a car you never inspected,
but I think it is worth it!

Oh, and you will be driving on the RIGHT side! Haha!
Good Luck! :D

Yea, you got a good deal because of the RHD. Most 100 shoppers are wanting LHD.

Supply and demand and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom