My 1992 HZJ77 built, Turbo intercooler,vegieoil. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my HZJ77 in april 2008,l got my guy in japan to buy the Zeal 3" liftsprings and ship it with the truck,l install the lift in Winnipeg and drove the truck in the summer of '08.l installed the plantdrive vegie kit in the summer of 2009,drive it around all summer,camping and towing a M101 trailer,not enough power in the hills of western Ontario.
In june of 2009,l decided to drive to Alaska and Yukon with my family and another friend with a HDJ81.
I like to take the HZJ77 but thereis just not enough power towing the M101 with 5 people in the truck,my HDJ81 would be a nicer,more comfortable vehicle foe a long trip,but the 77 is a cooler vehicle,plus it is a 5 speed .
So l decided to turbocharge and intercool the 77 two weeks before my trip,l know it is not a good idea to make a big modification and go for a 11,000km trip right away,but l managed to finish the mods,plug installing two bucketseats inplace of the second row bench seat and a 3rd row bucket seat on the right rear for my 10 year old boy.
lDidn't take a lot of pictures during the built.
Here are some pics.
Simon

front driveshaft xmember clearance.
DSC_0721.jpg
DSC_0724.jpg

Plantdrive vegieoil system.
DSC_0726.jpg
DSC_0727.jpg
DSC_0728.jpg

more vegie oil system
DSC_0711.jpg
DSC_0712.jpg
DSC_0714.jpg

3" exhaust exit on the right side to make room for the 135 liter stainless Vegieoil tank.
DSC_0716.jpg
DSC_0717.jpg

homebrew intercooler and subaru impreza sti hoodscope
DSC_0729.jpg
DSC_0731.jpg

l installed 3 bucket seats from an Acura integra so my 3 kids can recline their own seat and sleep or read as they like for the Alaska/Yukon trip.
Also home built rear bumper and tire carrier.
IMG_2062.jpg
IMG_2067.jpg
IMG_2071.jpg

Manual locking hub adaptor plate
DSC_0710.jpg

looking good simon.

What did you use to heat your vwo system. Coolant I am assuming. Just a heated filter? What kind?
I spotted your hydraforce valves.

I think the wvo thing will happen for me.
I have a bumper to build. That is the first project.
God I love being in the 77 club:)

Fliping the driveshaft ene to end is a good idea Hulsty.
Forealboreal,the vegoil is heated by a hotfox coolant heater in the tank,vegmax coolant heater/filter mount and vegtherm 12 volt electric heater under the hood.
The vegtherm only comr=e in 12v,but l have run them in 24VoltLandcruisers with no problem.

actually Hulsty,flipping the front driveshaft may not work,The high pinion 8" front diff on the 77 may have different bolt pattern compare to the transfercase side,l'll have to doublecheck.
Simon

Hi Louis,
yes,it is still running on vegie,actually l sold my 77 to Prairiecruiser1 around june 2010,he lives about 30 minutes out of town and he has put over 50,000km driving mostly on vegie,and if you run vegie,systhetic engine oil is recommended.
My hdJ81 runs on vegie too,because it is direct injection,l change the engine at 2/3 oil change ivterval,around 5k km.

actually Hulsty,flipping the front driveshaft may not work,The high pinion 8" front diff on the 77 may have different bolt pattern compare to the transfercase side,l'll have to doublecheck.
Simon

That could be an issue I dont know, on mine with the low pinon its possible.

Why are you using spacers on the front wheel hubs to bolt on the free wheeling hubs?

That is the plan. I haven't seen the truck in person yet but from the pictures it looks perfect

That is the plan. I haven't seen the truck in person yet but from the pictures it looks perfect

From the detailed emails I've received about her over the past year and a half I'd say she's been well cared for.

Hi Hulsty,
the Aisin freewheeling hubs will not bolt on to the HZJ77 wheelhub,The spacer changes the bolt pattern to fit the freewheeling hub.
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom