My 100 is too tall (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

80and100cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I installed a roof rack on my 100 and now it is too tall. My parking garage has a clearance of 6'8" and I hit the damn pipe that hangs down to warn about clearance. Of course I keep going in and find that I hit some signs and one concrete thing :doh: Do any of you have this problem? I am going to try to find parking at my college outside the garages, so hopefully I won't have to remove my roofrack. Or maybe I will just keep hitting the garage. Any ideas on something to coat the top of the rack to help the signs slide over it easier? Hitting this damn garage screws over my future plans for lights up there.

-Matt

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
:slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

Uh, hello. Is anyone home? Of course most of us have similiar problems. When you increase the height of your truck it makes it difficult to get into parking decks at work, hospitals, elsewhere.

Congratulations. You have now proved that you need to take a course in logic. :flipoff2: :D :D

Should have seen that commming... but is there stuff to coat the top to reduce scratching? I am thinking epoxy or something?

-Matt

[quote author=80and100cruisers link=board=2;threadid=10077;start=msg89658#msg89658 date=1074008840]
My parking garage has a clearance of 6'8" and I hit the damn pipe that hangs down to warn about clearance. Of course I keep going in and find that I hit some signs and one concrete thing.....

.....Any ideas on something to coat the top of the rack to help the signs slide over it easier? [/quote]

Damn! You hit concrete??!!! Don't think that there is anything you can put on the top of your rack to help you there, short of water cooled diamond saws.

You do know, don't you, that they put those pipes outside parking garages for a reason? :flipoff2:

I think your best solution is to continue using the garages, only drive really fast so you're less likely to get stuck under anything. ;)

Even epoxy is going to help prevent dents and such.

Either park outside or take it off.

One thing that really sucks is when you are rushing to get to the hospital or some place important and you have to search for a place to park. That reall sucks.

With my rack off, my truck just fits in Port. Still doesn't fit most garages, but luckily their ceiling is a tad higher than stated. I do get close on the ramps, but clear ok.

Lose the rack or park outside :flipoff2:

Junk is right. Of course in his own way :D

My VX 80 Limited is now at 7' 1'' and after my next mods will stand at 7' 6''. No way to enter any garages but the rig looks good.

But you can always lower it :slap:

Mike

You can do two things:
1) get smaller tires
2) install the Hummer style "on the fly"inflator deflator on wheel so you can air down before you enter the garage. Beter yet, get a GPS and hook up the "on the fly" system. Program it so when you get near the garage it starts to air down and air up when you leave.

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=10077;start=msg89691#msg89691 date=1074011037]
You can do two things:
1) get smaller tires
2) install the Hummer style "on the fly"inflator deflator on wheel so you can air down before you enter the garage. Beter yet, get a GPS and hook up the "on the fly" system. Program it so when you get near the garage it starts to air down and air up when you leave.
[/quote]

Kurt,

good idea. I just wanted to buy a Hummer to dismantle it for some mods. :D

Mike

My Confession:

When I was in college, I was running late for class and not thinking, and barrelled into the garage pretty fast. Nothing unusual about this so far, except that I had left my mountain bike on the roof rack. :doh: :slap:

The witnesses weren't laughing at me too hard.

[quote author=wob link=board=2;threadid=10077;start=msg89724#msg89724 date=1074013615]
The witnesses weren't laughing at me too hard. [/quote]

I would have been. :flipoff2:

Shees, days are a changing I guess if there are now parking garages on campus.

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=10077;start=msg89771#msg89771 date=1074021453]
I would have been. :flipoff2:

Shees, days are a changing I guess if there are now parking garages on campus.
[/quote]

And you will find many Landcruisers too :eek:

Mike

You guys are obviously thinking small which, considering those that posted replies, is understandable.

While Kurt has brought up some good options, the obvious one that everyone missed and I expected Junk to offer up is to call up the president of the university and demand that they raise the garage.

:D

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=10077;start=msg89831#msg89831 date=1074027037]
You guys are obviously thinking small which, considering those that posted replies, is understandable.

While Kurt has brought up some good options, the obvious one that everyone missed and I expected Junk to offer up is to call up the president of the university and demand that they raise the garage.

:D

-B-
[/quote]

We didn't miss this option and Junk is already discussing the mods with the president. :flipoff2:

Mike

try vaseline, it will give u that shinny look and should allow it to slide. they do use it on the uprights at college football stadiums to prevent kids from climbing the posts. lol

How about strips of teflon. I dont really know if you can buy what i am thinking of but my dad used to bring big blocks of teflon home from his work(used to slide the pipe in to the presses) after they had used it.
I was thinking of a strip of teflon 1/8 inch thick all the way down the rails of your rack(i have no clue what you rack looks like just a guess). The signs would slide over them nicely and would last forever.
Jesse

Move to Knoxville. The garages I design have 9 foot clear on the bottom floor (for passenger vans) and 7'-6" on the rest. We can talk about it over a jar of pickled okra or moonshine cheers. Beware - subject may get switched to repacking birfs. Still looking for folks wanting get up a birf party in K-town :D.

R2

cut your roof off ;) :cheers:

[quote author=Rookie2 link=board=2;threadid=10077;start=msg89939#msg89939 date=1074039895]
Move to Knoxville. The garages I design have 9 foot clear on the bottom floor (for passenger vans) and 7'-6" on the rest. We can talk about it over a jar of pickled okra or moonshine cheers. Beware - subject may get switched to repacking birfs. Still looking for folks wanting get up a birf party in K-town :D.

R2
[/quote]

I wished I had garages like that here. I always have to park outside.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom