Multimeter Recomendation (limited 80s content) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now if this was a Rover list, this would be serious content given their electrical systems :D

As part of my recent work (testing fuses, etc), I realized that I need a better multimeter (I currently have a really cheap, but small, analog meter that has served me relatively well)

Anyone have any recomendations on what to look for in a new meter (features, size, etc)? Why is it that some are $35 and other seem to be $135?

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh -

Not really certain you need anything more elaborate. I have for years done quite well, as you, with the $15 analog type for general automotive tasks. When it heads south, get another.

On the other hand, if you are going to be dissecting all of those new radios and electronic gizmos, you will need a good DVM, such as a Fluke (various models). The sensitivity, and accuracy required for precise troubleshooting of PCBs and the like is what makes some of those digital meters so pricey.

Cheers -

Unlike my Rookie status here on the LandCruiser forum this is in my field of expertise. The one single feature you will probably use the most is checking contenuity. Make sure the one you buy has a tone for this. Basically contenuity checks for shorts or opens such as when a fuse blows repeatedly this is a short to ground or an open is no 12vdc. The tone gives you an alert to that condition in that when there is a short it beeps. This is extremely handy as you can then concentrate on where the probes are and just listen for the sound. Just buy the cheapest one with that option. Rat Shack has them very cheap.

Rick

Rick,

A few Wrench posts and you're home free.... :eek:

(like this one) .......... got another 8)

Hugh,
I wish Rick had posted that tip before I decided to put the ancient Simpson analog meter in mothballs. I didn't know one multimeter from the other but had some exposure to the Fluke name. I went to the local pawn shops (no, I don't buy *everything* from pawn shops...) and they had a Fluke 73. IIRC it was about $25. It has a continuity tone setting.

Let us know what you pick and the price.
-B-

Thanks for the suggestions - I like the idea of a tone. I don't think I have ever shopped in a pawn shop - maybe I should try?!

Cheers, Hugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom