Multi-Club Trail Clean-Up (GWNF, 6/3) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Off-Camber Crawlers is organizing a trail clean-up down in the George Washington National Forest on Saturday, June 3rd. CLCC, along with NOVA Jeepers and maybe a few other clubs, has again agreed to pitch in.

We're looking for anyone that might be interested in coming out to help pick-up some trash. We collected thousands of pounds of trash and hundreds of tires last time, and we'll likely do it, again.

If anyone is planning on coming and can bring a pick-up truck, please let me know. The more the merrier, but a pick-up is always helpful.

As we get closer to the date, we'll organize a meeting place and time. Also, if anyone happens to be doing some trails down there before then and you see any significant amounts of trash, please let me know. They're still doing some recon work at OCC in order to plan what trails we'll hit.

I hope to have my truck running ready for the 3rd (I've got a couple things going on). The trail clean up sounds like a good thing. I'll try to post with a firm commitment as soon as possible.

Tommy

I'm just gonna bump this up to get some interest. I just realized that the 3rd is before our next meeting, so I'll need to promote this a little more heavily.

Sounds good, Tommy. You and your Taco will be much appreciated.

Anyone else thinking about it?

Here's some more info that Wayne at OCC posted:

The following is a list of places I have planned to clean (depending on turnout). CB channel listed below
- FR 72 + ATV Parking Lot + Camp Site (channel 30)
- Pull-off areas along Rt. 33 (channel 32)
- Dry River (channel 34)
- Union Springs and Campsites on Dunkle Hollow (channel 36)

Our immediate needs from folks are:
- Pickup trucks or trailers (like M416)
- Guides to lead folks for the cleanup

Please let me know if you can help with the above two (2) items. You can hit me off list at wlau (at) collegeboard.com.

Things that folks should bring on the day of cleanup are:
- Heavy duty trash bags (I'll have some with me to pass out as well)
- Gloves
- Dust pan and small hand tools to scrap up glass
- Possibly straps to strap down trash for the pickups

We will be meeting at 9:15 am at Mountain View Elementary School (2800 Rawley Pike, Harrisonburg, Va. 22801). We'll have a quick driver's meeting and head out.

The school is located right off Rt.33. As you go west on Rt. 33 off I-81 from town, it goes from 4 lanes to 2 lanes (1 way each way). At the next traffic light make a right into the school. We'll be staging on the left side of the school where the buses are. Please drive slowly through the school parking lot as there are playgrounds there with kids running around and some kids are riding their bikes in the parking lot. The principal has been nice enough to let us use their parking lot again this year.

Couple of notes on the dumping the trash. We'll be dumping the trash at the Rockingham County Landfill. I need to accompany the pickup trucks to the landfill so that we can dump the trash free of charge as I need to sign paperwork. I'll try to make two (2) trips there depending on how much trash we collect. The last run to the county landfill will leave from the big pull-off area on Rt. 33 at 3:30 pm. It's the first pull-off area going west on Rt. 33 and is the biggest one with the "Do Not Litter Sign". Here are directions to county landfill if we get left behind or get behind going there:

http://deathspiralstuff.com/jeep/Trips/2006/2006_06_03_Multi_Club_Trail_Cleanup/Rockingham County Landfill.doc

I'll be hanging around Rt. 33 along the pull area after lunch or so and will be on channel 30 if you need to get ahold of me for a trash run or whatever.

Anybody else interested?

Im hoping to make it, the truck still needs front turn signals but I figure if i scrape off the old inspection the cops woulnt even notice. I also have access to a 6x12 trailer that we can load with all the heavy crap. The 40 isnt wired for the trailer at the moment but I think i can risk it, given the nature of the trip i dont forsee the cops being an ass over it.

I might make it but not sure yet. We'll see.

I'm out. I've used up a lot of leave for my new daughter this year and I was trying to get a "regular day off" for Saturday but it didn't happen. I was really wishin' to go and I know my truck was needed.

I really will make it to another.

Tommy:frown:

That's too bad, man. Will you be able to make it to next week's meeting?

RUfj40crazy, I tried to pm you but your box is full. Are you still thinking about coming down?

If so, pm me your email address. I'm trying to coordinate the drive down.

Anyone else interested?

I'd like to drive down with someone but I'm really sick today and had to say home from work. I'll probably stay home tomorrow.

MY bad...

I didnt know my box was full... interesting. Anyhow I am now in H-burg i rode the other toy (BMW R1150GS) here b/c at 50 mpg its great and besides the truck is still here in H-burg. Ill be at the school first thing tomorow and with the trailer and my bro with his (off)Rodeo, btw...if any one wants to help with the 3" lift he bought were taking names!

PEACE

Felix said:
RUfj40crazy, I tried to pm you but your box is full. Are you still thinking about coming down?

If so, pm me your email address. I'm trying to coordinate the drive down.

Anyone else interested?

RUfj40crazy said:
I didnt know my box was full... interesting. Anyhow I am now in H-burg i rode the other toy (BMW R1150GS) here b/c at 50 mpg its great and besides the truck is still here in H-burg. Ill be at the school first thing tomorow and with the trailer and my bro with his (off)Rodeo, btw...if any one wants to help with the 3" lift he bought were taking names!

PEACE

Bad news, Neil. Along with Ross, neither Sebastien and I are going to make it down to the clean-up tomorrow. I bailed and Sebastien's pretty busy and was depending on me for the ride.

You should definitely still go, though. I'm sure the Jeep guys will appreciate the help. I'm sorry we're all backing-out on you. :whoops:

Small but good turnout

Well guys I was a bit disapointed in the turnout, but we got it done. Just so you know I did my best to represent the Mud forum as well as the CLCC. I along with two members of the off-camber crawlers filled an 8x12 trailer towed by yours truely. Total turnout was one fj40 (me:D ), one ford excusion, and approximatly 10 wranglers.
Not sure what the total weight from collected trash was but Wayne L. from the off-camber crawlers has picks and the weigh in tickets from the land fill.

Felix, I believe you had spoken with Wayne before im sure he can e-mail you the numbers and at least a few pictures.

Hopefully we can put together a good showing for the fall cleanup.

Again, sorry that I missed it. According to Wayne, you all picked up a total of 2,000 pounds of trash!

I can't believe the turnout was so low. Last time I kinda felt insignificant because there were probably 40-50 trucks, including half a dozen pickups.

I'll see if Wayne has some pics he can send me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom