Muffler Debate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMT

Threads
I know I have seen this debate rage on in the past but it is now that my stock muffler is in bad shape. It appears that there are generally three ways to go. 1) stock 2) Borla or another type of cat back system or 3) Flowmaster. The Flowmaster is appealing because of its low cost vs. the Borla and factory replacement. Has anyone gone the Flowmaster way and if so what type is used? Inlet/outlet diameter and placement or just a part number. Of course if anyone has a really good reason to go another way, by all means please let me know.

My view depends on how long you plan to keep it.... If you will be reselling shortly, something less expensive will do nicely. If you plan to drive it for a long time, why bother with a piece of crap you'll need to replace again? You bought a Landcruiser for a reason. I doubt you'll see a flowmaster produce as much power as a Borla system.

There was a thread on the flowmaster on SOR just before it shut down. Someone had installed a 40 or 50 series and even had sound clips of it. It sounded good and was relatively cheap, hopefully they will chime in. I am pretty skeptical of any horsepower gain claims from simply changing a muffler and tailpipe, so wouldn't base my entire choice on that. I think fit, durability, and price would all factor in.

I installed the Flowmaster 50 on mine. The primary reason I went was the Flowmaster was because of the size... I dragged the stock muffler and tore it up pretty bad. The Flowmaster is smaller and sits well above my Slee transfer skidplate.  It has a nice sound, though a bit louder than I expected.  I kept 95% of the stock pipe and cut off the resonator.  Total cost, $165 installed.

Here's a couple of sound clips I recorded for the SOR thread:
http://banzai.tzo.com/storage/cruiser/start.wav
http://banzai.tzo.com/storage/cruiser/rev.wav

As Keep mentioned the 50 series was a little louder than he expected, but not bad.

Someone else recenty installed the 50 series Delta Flow, a little quiter on the outside and inside. This is what is on my list.

More specifically, I installed the "50 SERIES™SUV Performance".  Its slightly larger than the 50 Series Delta Flow, as DRTDUCK points out, making it a bit louder inside. Although, according to Flowmaster's noise charts, the Delta is a bit louder outside.

I appreciate the input. I am not really looking for power (but it is a nice benefit). I am looking for something that will last and be smaller than stock. It sounds like the flowmaster is the way to go. KEEP, what is the position of the inlet & outlet on the 50 series you used (i.e. center, left, right) and diameter of the tubing?

Ok, I'm the guy who installed the 50 series delta flow. I love it. Its a tiny bit louder then stock, but not annoying in any way and it made a definate performance diffrence (mpg) and it definatly doesnt hang as low as the stock muffler. I used a 2.5" inlet and 2.5" outlet. Midas welded it in for me, charged me $75 for labor and I got a deal on the muffler for $50 usually somewhere around $75-90 on who you buy it from. Dont have any sound clips but it doesnt sound like keep's, its much quieter and its alot smoother. it doesnt have the blub blub blub v8 kinda sound. It has a nice mild v6 sound. If your going for performance though, still stay with the flow master cause its cheap and flows lots of air, but what you need to do is trash the inside of the cats. They are so restrictive its stupid.

-Bryan

No.  Don't trash the cats.  Go to an exhaust shop and get a custom bolt-in test pipe made that will fit in place of the cats.  This way, if you fail emissions you can bolt your cats back in to pass.  The only problem with this option is that 95+ trucks have O2 sensors on both ends of the cats.

Edit: I am retarded sometimes. &nbsp:Don't mind it.

Rogue,
What in the name of all that is good and holy is bringing You to HAPPY VALLEY? sorry had to get a dig in on Utah County. Have fun finding beer, or cigarettes, or parts.......
Dave :beer:

Dave,
I believe several of his wifes took a vote and would prefer to live there. :D
Bill

4 O2 sensers?! Arrggg.

>> ...95+ trucks have 4 O2 sensors.

Ok. I'll take the bait. Pray tell, where are #3 and #4 located?

R -

I know there is one behind the cats, but where the heck is the second one behind the cats?

-Bryan

Rogue, don't know where or who you got your info from but there are only 2 O2 sensors. One upstream of the cats and one that is downstream... And I have a 95 by the way.

You are right. I totally spaced the fact that the 95+ trucks have inline cats unlike my 94. The difference is that on 91-94 trucks both O2 sensors are upstream I believe and on the later trucks they are on both ends. Thank you for the correction. It is appreciated.

Ok that makes sense. I thought I was going blind. I was almost going to go outside and look!

-Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom