mpg with turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those of you with a turbo setup on your 2f, what kind of milage are you getting?
Thanks

I bet that the mileage increases with the turbo due to the increased power. Mace will post up soon. He's got a couple of setups on a few different rigs.

:beer:

I actually on ly have one setup on one rig :)
I will soon have multiple rigs with turbos.
And mileage is not it's forte (40's on 1 ton axles running propane)

Mileage will depend on how you drive it. The turbo will give you more efficient power so the potential for mileage gains is there. However, they are addictive.. And that will probably give you poorer mileage ;)

I have driven turboed cars (mustang SVO) an yes they are VERY adictive. That said I was wandering if anyone knows if milage stays the same or gets worse or better. For what its worth the SVO had a 2.3 with 170k and a VERY cracked head and it got 28 mpg at 75 on the freeway. Not bad for V8 power.

There aren't many turboed 2Fs out there from my experiance. I do like the concept though, especially at high altitude. My wifes SAAB has amazing power and fuel economy. It weighs something like 3700 lbs and can do 30 mpg on the highway. Aerodynamics are obviously a big factor but the turbo keeps it punchy even going over 9000 ft passes.

svo_jon said:
I have driven turboed cars (mustang SVO) an yes they are VERY adictive. That said I was wandering if anyone knows if milage stays the same or gets worse or better. For what its worth the SVO had a 2.3 with 170k and a VERY cracked head and it got 28 mpg at 75 on the freeway. Not bad for V8 power.

Considering the SVO Turbo 2.3 is a 4 cylinder? ;p

Sometimes 4 cylinders are like V8's! :doh:

Or not!

Anyway, the power must be amazing. It's like a 50% increase in power if I can recall, depending on your configuration. I would love to have that much power. It would make a big difference in my driving style.

My wife has a little wrx we drove on a 3000 + miles trip this summer to yellowstone, RNP, and other points in the rockies, and got right at 28mpg average for the trip. I did not hammer it a ton but I hit the skinny pedal when I could, we drove 80+ many different times, Oh if only my cruiser could. But the mileage seems very reasonable for a 2.0l 4-banger. with only bolt on mods. app 240-250hp, Its still not a cruiser though.

A lot of the efficiency of the newer turbo motors comes from computer controlled FI acting with the turbo boost and ignition to constantly adjust to load.

Now imagine a straight six tractor engine with a carb and no electronic controls. That is an FJ60.

I think a turbo on a 2F...

Would make more horses with moderate boost

Decrease engine life (think heat)

Have little or no positive impact on fuel mileage

M

Still, turbos are pretty much the best way to get more power, in terms of more air that is.

Turbo's are great at altitude. We have a Subaru Outback w/turbo. Hauls ass. We live at 9000+ feet. But the same engine without turbo does 5 MPG better.

Agreed, turbo is probably the only way to get big power increase from a 2F. If I still had a 2F in mine I would look that direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom