Moving to Savannah (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If your looking for a true Southern experience kind of town, you should check out Thomasville, GA. There is a large Landcruiser presence there and the Thomasville Toyota owner has an awesome Landcruiser collection at the dealer showroom. Plenty of old hunting plantations to explore as well. Everyone is super friendly for the most part compared to the larger Georgia cities. The best white sand Florida beaches are only a couple of hours away in the panhandle.

Thanks for the replys. The job is in central savannah, maybe a tad south of Central actually. I would like to live just west of Savannah just enough so it'd considered country living. I really want to go somewhere where it doesn't snow 7 months. How far is it to good wheeling? I have good friends about an hour south of Chattanooga. I used to live in Memphis. It had some fairly rough spots.
If & when you get to Georgia, and venture up to the Northern Parts, let me know. I'm only about an hour & 1/2, south of Chattanooga.

Savannah is a cool place. My daughter is named after the town. My parents lived there (really Wilmington Island) many-many moons ago, but it's a much different place now. Not all bad though....Like others have said, it hit or miss as to the area you selectively go.

If your looking for a true Southern experience kind of town, you should check out Thomasville, GA. There is a large Landcruiser presence there and the Thomasville Toyota owner has an awesome Landcruiser collection at the dealer showroom. Plenty of old hunting plantations to explore as well. Everyone is super friendly for the most part compared to the larger Georgia cities. The best white sand Florida beaches are only a couple of hours away in the panhandle.
Don’t come here …. Humidity, bugs and rednecks. 😁

If & when you get to Georgia, and venture up to the Northern Parts, let me know. I'm only about an hour & 1/2, south of Chattanooga.

Savannah is a cool place. My daughter is named after the town. My parents lived there (really Wilmington Island) many-many moons ago, but it's a much different place now. Not all bad though....Like others have said, it hit or miss as to the area you selectively go.
Thanks for your input. Sounds like I'll have to figure out where the high crime is and just avoid those areas. I'll let you know if I go north some time. Would be nice to see your cruiser.
Ok. Good to know. So is Savannah not really giving the southern experience as much? I had a job opportunity in Tampa as well, but I think the additional heat would be too much. I also heard it's not really the south in Tampa. I was told the south is only in Parts of Florida but not all of it.

Well @White Stripe I’m really not sure what you are meaning about the term “southern experience“. So if I’m understanding you correctly, you are looking for that southern charm or maybe Margaret Mitchell‘s famous book turned movie “Gone With the Wind” effect. Which by the way is my whatever # great aunt. Well not to be a party pooper or rain on your parade kind of guy this morning before your second cup of Star Bucks. The southern experience is just like Margaret Mitchell said “Gone With the Wind”!!!

Good Luck with the move my brother.

Let’s Go Brandon…Let’s Go Brandon!

Well @White Stripe I’m really not sure what you are meaning about the term “southern experience“. So if I’m understanding you correctly, you are looking for that southern charm or maybe Margaret Mitchell‘s famous book turned movie “Gone With the Wind” effect. Which by the way is my whatever # great aunt. Well not to be a party pooper or rain on your parade kind of guy this morning before your second cup of Star Bucks. The southern experience is just like Margaret Mitchell said “Gone With the Wind”!!!

Good Luck with the move my brother.

Let’s Go Brandon…Let’s Go Brandon!
@FJCRAWLER I thought it was a sin to curse before 9am in the south :flipoff2:?

@White Stripe FL is a different world, especially South FL, and isn’t the “south”. There is a southern experience to be had in Savannah. Good food and red fish fishing should be high on you to do list.

Just a update and observations. I made it to Savannah. I towed a 5 or 6k pound trailer behind my 80 series. The trailer is completely the opposite of aerodynamic and is a 10 foot tall brick. I got between 8 to 10mpg. Best I get unloaded is 14mpg. So I stopped every 130 miles or so with this trailer. Basically I didn't want the tank below 1/3 of a tank in case I got to a stretch that was devoid of gas stations. I went about 60 to 65mph the whole way because any faster I started to get bad sway. I probably had a total range of about 180 miles on the stock tank. A long range tank would have been awesome as well as some heavier rear coils rather than my stockers. I have a set of rear ome springs but I just didn't have time to install them.

Outside of Birmingham I had an exhaust gasket start to leak. So now my cruiser sounds like a 1985 Chevy pickup with a cracked exhaust manifold. Also my hydroboost is starting to leak atf a tad. The new shop I'm at won't allow working on personal vehicles so repairs will be on hold for a few months which kind of sucks. It's nothing that should disable the truck at least.

I see lots of police on the road looking for speeders so I drive everywhere very conservative. So far the people are all very nice-I would say generally nicer than Colorado. I've been to a few areas that are run down and remind me of memphis. But I've not felt unsafe yet. I've not really looked around a lot but I do enjoy the beauty of the area and the weather is great for December from what I'm used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom