Moving to Savannah (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I might be moving to Savannah. I got a job offer there. Is there many trails nearby? How is the crime in Savannah? Can I park my top less 40 at the grocery store and come back out to it being in one piece? Hope it's ok I ask this here.
The answers to all your questions are probably the opposite of what you want to hear.

So your moving to Savannah for the low crime rate? Pardon me for a minute.....:rofl:

So your moving to Savannah for the low crime rate? Pardon me for a minute.....:rofl:
I was asking how the crime is. I don't know much about it. Not moving their yet but wanted to see if it's really bad their or not. I've only driven through their. I remember it being a nice area and the few people I met were nice.

Last edited:
So it's a dump?
No, Savannah is a cool town. Lots of good food and activities, beaches are close, fishing is good, lots of history, etc. I'm not intimately familiar with the crime dynamics, but my understanding is that it is hit or miss depending on where you are. Probably like most places, it depends on what part of town you're in.

In regards to "trails", you're pretty much SOL. There's plenty of dirt roads and muddy spots amid the pine trees, but nothing that I would call a good "trail" for a 40.

You looking to move into the city or one of the surrounding suburbs? I think crime is going to be the worst the nearer you are to Savannah proper, although there are some really nice spots in the city too.

Savannah’s just like anytown USA……. depends on the general area you live and frequent as to it’s degree of ‘safeness’ if there is such a thing nowadays!
If you get serious, post some possible areas around there you’re looking at and you’ll likely get plenty of opinions…
I don’t live in Savannah but my wife and I go often (she owned a condo on Tybee island once upon a time) We both like Savannah and haven’t felt unsafe walking in town at night but we’ve only been in the ‘touristy’ type areas near the river…. Some of the islands between Savannah and the ocean have some nice neighborhoods.
Good luck!

No, Savannah is a cool town. Lots of good food and activities, beaches are close, fishing is good, lots of history, etc. I'm not intimately familiar with the crime dynamics, but my understanding is that it is hit or miss depending on where you are. Probably like most places, it depends on what part of town you're in.

In regards to "trails", you're pretty much SOL. There's plenty of dirt roads and muddy spots amid the pine trees, but nothing that I would call a good "trail" for a 40.

You looking to move into the city or one of the surrounding suburbs? I think crime is going to be the worst the nearer you are to Savannah proper, although there are some really nice spots in the city too.
Savannah’s just like anytown USA……. depends on the general area you live and frequent as to it’s degree of ‘safeness’ if there is such a thing nowadays!
If you get serious, post some possible areas around there you’re looking at and you’ll likely get plenty of opinions…
I don’t live in Savannah but my wife and I go often (she owned a condo on Tybee island once upon a time) We both like Savannah and haven’t felt unsafe walking in town at night but we’ve only been in the ‘touristy’ type areas near the river…. Some of the islands between Savannah and the ocean have some nice neighborhoods.
Good luck!
Thanks for the replys. The job is in central savannah, maybe a tad south of Central actually. I would like to live just west of Savannah just enough so it'd considered country living. I really want to go somewhere where it doesn't snow 7 months. How far is it to good wheeling? I have good friends about an hour south of Chattanooga. I used to live in Memphis. It had some fairly rough spots.

Thanks for the replys. The job is in central savannah, maybe a tad south of Central actually. I would like to live just west of Savannah just enough so it'd considered country living. I really want to go somewhere where it doesn't snow 7 months. How far is it to good wheeling? I have good friends about an hour south of Chattanooga. I used to live in Memphis. It had some fairly rough spots.
North GA and TN are still probably the closest place to find decent trails.

You definitely won’t have to worry about snow, but it’ll even out with the 7 months of humidity you’re going to encounter.

So you’ll become a beach cruiser - not so bad! Hope you like southern seafood :cheers:

Nearest “trails” Uwharrie NC unless 2 track flat pine barrens is your thing.

I’d move to Savannah for access to the beach, ocean & saltwater fishing- not much else there to do 4wd wise.

Crime? Crime is everywhere- most larger cities are run by liberals, as such petty crime even felony crime is not a priority these days, as the police have been disempowered to enforce and no cash bail allows criminals back on the street to offend again same day. Don’t leave anything out in the open as an attractive nuisance and you’ll be fine.

I was asking how the crime is. I don't know much about it. Not moving their yet but wanted to see if it's really bad their or not. I've only driven through their. I remember it being a nice area and the few people I met were nice.
Same as others have said, there are nice places and definitely crime ridden areas. Most any major city in GA has a crime problem, but it's not too bad the further you are away from the central cities. The closest wheeling will be in the northern part of Georgia. Good luck and welcome to Georgia!

I really very much appreciate the responses. I read some reviews about savannah crime that made it sound like Portland. Other reviews said its totally fine. In Denver I have to keep a very close eye on my cruisers. Car theft especially is terrible. In the summer it's been bad in Denver too because all the California wildfires smoke settles here all summer. So while we don't have the humidity, it's still 95 degrees of dry heat with smoke. As far as wheeling I have a car dolly that is very heavy duty and has trailer brakes. So I use that right now if I need to tow my 40 a ways. Bummer there isn't closer wheeling. I do like southern food. I looked into Atlanta but it's more expensive and I got the idea Atlanta isn't really a southern type city anymore. Maybe I'm wrong. That's the idea I got though in my research. I like to read and like the idea of being able to drive to the beach and read a book and relax on the sand. Maybe I can learn to cook catfish.

Last edited:
4hrs from Savannah to NC wheeling Uwharrie NF, which has "some" challenging stuff but smallish area over all. More like 6hrs up to No.GA . Ito be fair I don’t think No.GA has much to offer 4WD beyond some rutted forrest roads unless you go to a “ride park”. Depends on what you're into.

You'r coming from where? Colorado?

Only pic I got bro
2E14FA7C-93C3-445F-8593-5C5AF4EA8122.jpeg

Should go down nice with them fish net links your massaging into place @tgreco.

I really very much appreciate the responses. I read some reviews about savannah crime that made it sound like Portland. Other reviews said its totally fine. In Denver I have to keep a very close eye on my cruisers. Car theft especially is terrible. In the summer it's been bad in Denver too because all the California wildfires smoke settles here all summer. So while we don't have the humidity, it's still 95 degrees of dry heat with smoke. As far as wheeling I have a car dolly that is very heavy duty and has trailer brakes. So I use that right now if I need to tow my 40 a ways. Bummer there isn't closer wheeling. I do like southern food. I looked into Atlanta but it's more expensive and I got the idea Atlanta isn't really a southern type city anymore. Maybe I'm wrong. That's the idea I got though in my research. I like to read and like the idea of being able to drive to the beach and read a book and relax on the sand. Maybe I can learn to cook catfish.
I would disagree about it being anything like PDX. One does not see the amount of in your face drug use everywhere like in Portland.
I have spent a lot of time in Savannah. Some years ago we put on a major event in the city and surrounding counties. The surrounding counties (especially Chatham) have a pretty decent Sheriff's Office. Savannah cops are decent. I have always found them professional during my interactions.
My brother lived in Hinesville as he was stationed at Ft. Stewart. He did have his Saab stolen and it was recovered in a swamp.
Like others have said, crime is everywhere and has been worse this year pretty much everywhere. If you tempt someone they will take advantage of you. Savannah, being a larger city, does have some pretty shady areas, just don't hang out in them in condition white.
I enjoy Savannah and the surrounding area and considered moving there several times for work but other things happened and I am living in a less populated part of N GA (about an hour south of Chattanooga - do I know your friends?)
Being closer to the beach is appealing, it is hot in the summer (like really hot), and the downtown is pretty nice. Lots to do there. As others have said, nothing really as far as wheeling goes. But check out the boys over at Red Hills. I am not sure if the Savannah Cruisers are active at all anymore.
Welcome to Georgia!

I would disagree about it being anything like PDX. One does not see the amount of in your face drug use everywhere like in Portland.
I have spent a lot of time in Savannah. Some years ago we put on a major event in the city and surrounding counties. The surrounding counties (especially Chatham) have a pretty decent Sheriff's Office. Savannah cops are decent. I have always found them professional during my interactions.
My brother lived in Hinesville as he was stationed at Ft. Stewart. He did have his Saab stolen and it was recovered in a swamp.
Like others have said, crime is everywhere and has been worse this year pretty much everywhere. If you tempt someone they will take advantage of you. Savannah, being a larger city, does have some pretty shady areas, just don't hang out in them in condition white.
I enjoy Savannah and the surrounding area and considered moving there several times for work but other things happened and I am living in a less populated part of N GA (about an hour south of Chattanooga - do I know your friends?)
Being closer to the beach is appealing, it is hot in the summer (like really hot), and the downtown is pretty nice. Lots to do there. As others have said, nothing really as far as wheeling goes. But check out the boys over at Red Hills. I am not sure if the Savannah Cruisers are active at all anymore.
Welcome to Georgia!
Thanks for the input. Nice having first person experience. Sounds like I will really have to watch where I go and where I live.. Perhaps I'll buy a beater old truck that I can drive anywhere and not worry about as much. The shop I'm going to be working in does not have air conditioning, so I hope they aren't expecting as much production when it gets really hot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom