Moving to 100 series from Cherokee (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking at Land Cruisers for years and never could quite make it happen. I think it might be about time now.

My last vehicle (stolen sadly) was a 91 Jeep Cherokee that was moderately built. 31s, 3 inch lift, decent shocks/control arms, sway bar disconnects, bumpers/winch etc. I never got into rock crawling but like playing out in the desert/mountain roads a bit. It was really basic and had no safety and very little comfort features so I'm thinking the 100 series might be the way to go. It's been an internal struggle with the 80 but I think for now the 100 is in the lead.

I'm curious about your thoughts on capability and clearance compared to my old Cherokee. I know the 100 is a much, much better rig but I really don't want to go crazy on the mods this time around. I hope to just put some 285 BFGs and call it a day. Curious if I can get by clearance wise on the same stuff since I will have bigger tires but of course losing the solid front axle.

Your Cherokee on 31s wasn't doing anything a stock 100 can't do. Especially any model with ATRAC. You won't be disappointed.

Sorry for your loss. I dig an XJ. Was driven home from the hospital in one when I was born.
Thanks. The Xj was a manual and I've finally come to terms that I can live with an auto. It was just extra unfortunate because I had just done full fluid change on everything with the expensive stuff like Redline on trans and even the fancy rubber reusable gaskets on the diffs. Then 3 days later it was gone and thoroughly trashed.

welcome aboard!

where abouts in CA?
Thanks! I'm in the bay area now but was down in San Diego until recently. I mainly went out to Anza Borrego but occasionally went into Arizona to Kofa to offroad a bit. The ATRAC Mongoose mentioned does look pretty interesting. I'm not great at offroading and could use all the help I can get.

@Grumpy Grumperson The 100 is very capable in stock form. so any upgrades you do will only enhance it. Be warned though owning a 100 series Land Cruiser will be slightly spendy if you go about keeping it well maintained etc. As you already may know this forum is filled with great information and people that know these trucks inside and out. So if you are just a bit mechanically inclined there is nothing that can't be done in your garage.

Good luck in your search and potential purchase.

You'll love the 100 series! I was looking at XJs before I got mine. They are significantly heavier than an XJ so keep that in mind. It does help it ride a lot smoother but you'll feel the weight when you're offroading and going through corners. Mine is completely stock other than a set of 33s. I've taken it through some of the trails in moab and I'm still debating if I even need a lift. These rigs are very capable in stock form.

@Grumpy Grumperson The 100 is very capable in stock form. so any upgrades you do will only enhance it. Be warned though owning a 100 series Land Cruiser will be slightly spendy if you go about keeping it well maintained etc. As you already may know this forum is filled with great information and people that know these trucks inside and out. So if you are just a bit mechanically inclined there is nothing that can't be done in your garage.

Good luck in your search and potential purchase.
Thanks. I do enjoy working on my own stuff. I can handle most of the basic stuff and had a 3rd Gen 4Runner years ago so I won't be too shocked on the prices hopefully. I remember the Toyota inner tie rod ends being crazy expensive on that one. I've been reading non-stop on here and looking at common failures and replacement costs. This forum is amazing and I've learned so much already.

You'll love the 100 series! I was looking at XJs before I got mine. They are significantly heavier than an XJ so keep that in mind. It does help it ride a lot smoother but you'll feel the weight when you're offroading and going through corners. Mine is completely stock other than a set of 33s. I've taken it through some of the trails in moab and I'm still debating if I even need a lift. These rigs are very capable in stock form.
That sounds exactly like my plan and I appreciate the reminder on the weight. Looking forward to the smoothness. If I end up getting a 98/99 I might replace the front diff with ARB locker but that would be it initially. I'm sure I'll catch the mod fever one day but it's nice to know I don't have to since it's so solid right out of the box.

Do some homework on which 100 series you want, 98-99 rear lockers, 00+ ATRAC, 03+ 5 speed tranny, 06+ VVTI (more HP). Wait for the right one and don’t look back. Rust is really the only thing that will kill these. Parts can be pricey but OEM is OEM imo.

Do some homework on which 100 series you want, 98-99 rear lockers, 00+ ATRAC, 03+ 5 speed tranny, 06+ VVTI (more HP). Wait for the right one and don’t look back. Rust is really the only thing that will kill these. Parts can be pricey but OEM is OEM imo.
Thanks. I've been all over that since I finally locked in on the 100. I see lots of pros and cons on them but nothing I can't work around or learn to live with.

I actually like the early ones because I'd like to update the head unit. I know this is minor thing but I enjoy playing with those gadgets.

The 5 speed is pretty appealing but I notice a clear price jump at 03. It's not too high but I'd always like to keep extra cash for repairs if needed.

The 06-07 are close to early 200 series prices in my area so those are all that I probably wouldn't go for.

I really just want to find something clean that's been maintained and not so expensive that I can't afford to treat it right.

If I didn’t pile on highway miles I’d love 01-02 for simplicity. The 5 speed is a must after having my 2UZ 4R. I like the fact that 03-05 is not VVTI and still mostly non AHC. Nothing against it because it’s great to drive, just like simplicity in case your not close to home. Your right about the 06-07 unicorn prices being right there with 200s.

I come from a long and continued history with XJ's, MJ's, TJ's and even a WK. I bought my 100 in 2016 and it was my first Toyota, not counting a Camry my wife had when we first met. Initially I really wanted to want an 80 series but after driving an 80 and 100 back-to-back the decision to go for the 100 was very easy to make. Full disclosure, I still have a TJ Rubi and a couple of MJ's... but my wife now drives a 200 series.

You will not be disappointed with ANY maintained 100 series. While the learning curve will be steep and some nomenclature will seem hard to grasp, this forum and a factory service manual will be godsends in helping you get acquainted with the 100 series platform. The 98/99 100 seems to get a lot of flack on the forums, but I must say my 99 has been a fantastic vehicle for the past 150k miles 👍

Be ready for the 'Toyota Tax'. While I find OEM Toyota parts are reasonably priced, it's the aftermarket mods that will cost you a fortune. Aftermarket products built for the 100 (bumpers, brackets, tanks, etc) usually have a much higher quality fit/finish/design than any of the mass produced Jeep parts you may be accustomed to seeing. Since there are fewer fabricators and parts builders for the 100 series it seems like those who do produce stuff for these vehicles are still very involved in the community.

I come from a long and continued history with XJ's, MJ's, TJ's and even a WK. I bought my 100 in 2016 and it was my first Toyota, not counting a Camry my wife had when we first met. Initially I really wanted to want an 80 series but after driving an 80 and 100 back-to-back the decision to go for the 100 was very easy to make. Full disclosure, I still have a TJ Rubi and a couple of MJ's... but my wife now drives a 200 series.

You will not be disappointed with ANY maintained 100 series. While the learning curve will be steep and some nomenclature will seem hard to grasp, this forum and a factory service manual will be godsends in helping you get acquainted with the 100 series platform. The 98/99 100 seems to get a lot of flack on the forums, but I must say my 99 has been a fantastic vehicle for the past 150k miles 👍

Be ready for the 'Toyota Tax'. While I find OEM Toyota parts are reasonably priced, it's the aftermarket mods that will cost you a fortune. Aftermarket products built for the 100 (bumpers, brackets, tanks, etc) usually have a much higher quality fit/finish/design than any of the mass produced Jeep parts you may be accustomed to seeing. Since there are fewer fabricators and parts builders for the 100 series it seems like those who do produce stuff for these vehicles are still very involved in the community.

Thanks. That's good advice and good to hear from a Jeep person.

I thought a TJ after the XJ. I had a YJ and while it wasn't the greatest vehicle it was very fun to drive because I just left the top and doors off. I can't do that in my current situation and the 100 really just makes sense.

Maybe the Toyota tax will keep me to my word about not going aftermarket crazy.

If I didn’t pile on highway miles I’d love 01-02 for simplicity. The 5 speed is a must after having my 2UZ 4R. I like the fact that 03-05 is not VVTI and still mostly non AHC. Nothing against it because it’s great to drive, just like simplicity in case your not close to home. Your right about the 06-07 unicorn prices being right there with 200s.

Understood. I don't need it for commuting but will be doing the occasional road trip. If I see a good 03-05 then I'll jump on it but won't turn around an earlier one based on the 4 speed.

The Land Cruiser IFS is like the Swiss Army knife on wheels. Road behavior and comfort is great than a solid axle 4WD. Off road, because of ATRAC and factory locking center differential, it’s very capable less the front end suspension but it’ll get up here with decent All Terrain tires. Just avoid as much as possible a rusted LC/LX.. it just creates a ton of problems down the road.

100 series are reliable, capable & comfortable. Cheap to maintain they are not.

I just looked at an 03 LX that was really clean. It's a little more than I want to pay though so the search will continue. I would honestly prefer a LC to the LX for some shallow reasons but would definitely get an LX if things looked right.

It sounds like a LC for your needs fits just right.
If you were going to daily drive it, a LX with more sound deadening and AHC is hard to beat.

Regardless, welcome to the forum, and I hope you find a great one!

Welcome, lots of knowledge here ! Good luck on your search and pics are always welcome !

@Grumpy Grumperson I’m in a somewhat similar boat to you except with a 96 Tacoma instead of an XJ Cherokee. I miss the space and strength/build quality of my old 97 Land Cruiser, but I'm hesitant to get another one since the 80 series is just not good value for money these days. Most of them are trashed, and you'll likely end up paying 10k+ for a basket case leaking from every seal, gasket, and hose. The 100 series doesn't seem to have as many common leaks, and doesn't tend to burn oil and randomly lose oil pressure, blow head gaskets, and overheat like the old straight six. The 1FZ-FE may have a certain vintage charm to it, but they can be a major PITA to maintain when they get some age on them.

Having said that, reports of failed front diffs on the UZJ100 have been scaring me off getting one. Some will say it's overblown, while others will say it's a ticking time bomb, so it's hard to get a good idea of how much of an issue it really is. Regardless, it seems like getting rid of the solid front axle did sacrifice at least some durability. Honestly, I don't know why they felt the need to switch to IFS, since the 80 series already had quite a comfy ride with its coil-sprung setup. Mine rode like a Cadillac even with the original suspension.

The 98-99s actually appeal to me more, since they still have the simplicity of the 80 series while eliminating the aforementioned issues associated with the 1FZ. They also often have a rear locker instead of ATRAC, which has mixed reviews in the 4x4 community. Some even have speculated ATRAC may contribute to front diff failures in the 00+ models.

Finally, as others have pointed out, these are very heavy vehicles: almost three tons in stock form. They are also quite a bit larger than an XJ Cherokee. This makes them more unwieldy on tight trails, and they get bogged easier in mud compared to a lighter model like an XJ or Tacoma. However, their ample interior space makes them great tourers. IMO they're best suited for camping and moderate trails as opposed to very technical wheeling and/or "rock-crawling", unless extensibly modified.

Having said that, reports of failed front diffs on the UZJ100 have been scaring me off getting one
Here’s some good chatter about the 100 diffs. Sudden traction after wheel spin seems to be the lethal combo on the first page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom