Motorhome towing an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rich said:
Toyota published a TSB specifying which vehicles can be flat towed behind a motorhome. Landcruiser from 1992 - 2000 is listed as Not Towable.

Be sure to lets us know the results after you prove Toyota correct.

Here is the link to the TSB you speak of: http://rav4world.com/tsb/AX001-00.pdf To complete your thoughts, Remco also says it cannot be done.

I want to personally thank you for the helpful spirit in which your message is conveyed. Defininately apples and oranges but this same TSB says a '98 4runner is not towable and I put well over 10,000 total towed miles on the one I just sold without ANY problems. Remco also said it could not be done.

IF I smoke something, I will report it forthwith.

Last edited:
but.....

Tools R Us said:
And trailer bearings are much cheaper than Cruiser bearings, birfs, etc.

but what about the muffler bearings? how much are they? and the headlight fluid, too.....

And trailer bearings are much cheaper than Cruiser bearings, birfs, etc.

The problem with a trailer is, it is difficult to store when you are camping. Much easier to just tow a dinghy. I also have a Diesel Pusher Motorhome, and the Cruiser would not even be felt being towed. I hope this is possible. I will be watching this thread.

Bottom line suggestion as stated earlier in the thread: Free wheeling front hubs and disconnect the tailshaft to the rear differential. Total bolts to undo 4 and tie the rear drive shaft away against the chassis. :wrench::deadhorse:

this thread has grown so much since I last visited. I really want to get a locked 80 again vs the 2004 Honda Odyssey. They practically weigh the same.

While trailers seem really Logical when towing something.... People who RV view trailers as an extra burden. We are going full time in an RV for a year or two and will be visiting many places where Toads (vehicles towed 4 down) are acceptable and don't add to the length of the vehicle. With a trailer, you need a longer RV spot. My 36' Motorhome plus a 20' trailer will put me at 56', whereas I can disconnect my toad and park it up front keeping me at 36'.

Having a Landcruiser as a toad is very appealing as its a go anywhere type vechicle.

I know for a fact that the Honda Odysseys can be towed no problem even though the dealer and manuals say its a no-no.

Has anyone here hooked up their 80 yet and towed it or is it still just discussion at this point?

See the last posts in this thread. Applies to 80's and 100's. I did it with the 100, but sold it. Planning to do it with the current 80 as well.

attachment.php

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/325015-need-tow-100-behind-motorhome.html

I have flat towed my 1993 over 5k miles, transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, key in ignition to unlook wheel. 40' 400 hp diesel pusher tow vehicle, no notice 80 is back there. I will NOT back up, as a jack knife will take out headlights, fenders and bumper.

Lights can be integrated so 80 lights will mimic tow rig lights. I use a $20 set of magnet trailer lights - they will blow off in Utah with those nifty 60 MPH crosswinds. Not elegant, but cheap and easy.

I do have synthetic lube in the drivetrain, have no idea is that is a factor.

Towbar is connected directly to stock tow hook/loop thingies. Brake Buddy (braking for 80) was $200 on Ebay. If you have a problem with the Brake Buddy the factory will overhaul it for cheap. Power for Brake Buddy taken from RV batteries, so no possibility of running out of battery power in the 80 and losing braking.

I am not contridicting more knowledable people here, just stating my experience. I tend to overthink things too, but this simple approach has worked out well. I thought I would try it, and if it did tear something up, I would buy something more suitable. Have dealt with trailers all I want to in my life.

Question: will the viscous coupler in the transfer case get warm if it does NOT see a difference in drive shaft speeds? My transmission is never more than warm, even in 90+ degree heat in the Arizona desert.
(Need to get an infrared thermometer so I know exactly what the temp is.)

It has been my experience that factory owner manuals are written by their legal departments and always error on the side of caution so as to avoid lawsuits of one type or another. Flat towing an LC seems very doable if caution is excercised.

I think the major issue from Toyota's point of view is that the transfercase oil pump is driven by the idler gear, which does NOT spin when the xfercase is in neutral.

However, the output shaft and bearings are all bathed in gear oil, and there is very little load on the system....

Well Poo... the thread I posted earlier 1991 - 1997 Toyota Landcruiser | Remco Towing is going to be pulled from their website. I just got off the phone with a salesperson and he said they don't approve this method.

I'm going to go for it though so I am currently looking for a Locked 80 and hope to find a 40th out there somewhere. I'll do a step by step writeup on it when I do and plan on putting 10,000 toad miles on it in 2011/12.

Anyone want to sell me their Wife approved Locked 80?

Didn't you have like 5 80s a couple years ago?

Didn't you have like 5 80s a couple years ago?

Yessir, I've owned 6, 4 locked, 2 unlocked. MUST HAVE ANOTHER thanks to this thread!

Done some research on an 80 Toad setup and hope this helps someone.

Recomendation is to go with a 10,000lb towbar.

I'm currently looking at the Blue Ox Aventa LX No. BX7445 10,000 lb towbar

Per the Manual, you want the Mounting plates no lower than 4" below the receiver.

(you can download the Manual from the link below)

Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar - 10,000 lb - By Blue Ox

Picture One is the whole enchalada.

Picture two puts me right where I need to be

Picture Three is what you will see following me.
East Seattle-20110213-00021.jpg
East Seattle-20110213-00025.jpg
East Seattle-20110213-00027.jpg

The Landcruiser Shown in the picture is NOT mine and was not hurt in the mockup process.

They make Mounting plates specifically to each vehicle... however I'm yet to source one for the cruiser so what I will likely do is get a (non arb) WENCH:hmm: steel bumper and custom mount Plates that likely go to another large vehicle to the bumper.

Still working out the brake controller and lighting, but need to do it on the cheap. All parts will be researched and then bought 2nd hand on ebay. Brake controllers (when used) should be rebuilt (for peace of mind) and can be done fairly cheap from what I've read.

Few more shots
East Seattle-20110213-00026.jpg
East Seattle-20110213-00024.jpg
East Seattle-20110213-00022.jpg

Read through all the flat-towing threads I could find and there's a lot of conflicting info. Tuner's experience seems to suggest that it might be okay in spite of Toyota's warning to the contrary. Planning on flat-towing this truggy behind one of our 5-tons, like this, using military surplus towbars. We've flat-towed a bunch of vehicles using them and they work great as long as you've got 3/4 or 1" shackle mounts on the vehicle being towed. Here's a link to some more info about the towbars if anyone is curious.

gatosbros_FJ80_truggy_01.jpg

robo_trailer_01.jpg

I've flat towed 2 80's over 20,000 miles with no issues but its not saying you wont have any.

So for you guys doing this, what's the consensus on tranny/t-case shifter position?

Both in neutral? Tranny in park and t-case in neutral?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom