For Sale Most Recent 80 Series Prices (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
There is a similar thread in both the 100 and 200 Classifieds Sections, makes sense here too. These trucks are changing hands at a rapid rate these days, having consolidated live market data is a nice thing for both buyers and sellers.

If you have recently bought or sold an 80 series and are comfortable sharing the details, post it here.

Well here‘s one about to sell live on BaT….and it’s gonna be a Sunday auction while most people are not sitting at their PC watching auctions. I bought mine at a BaT Sunday auction a month ago and I’m happy. 14 minutes left and it’s at $8500.

That Land Cruiser went went from $8500 to “12,850 ENDED” in the last few minutes

Yeah, got to say I watch a lot of BaT auctions (too many) to keep an eye on trading price of various cars. I have never seen a BaT auction quite like that one today. Usually if the seller is unresponsive to legit inquiries, that is a very bad sign. I usually don’t like seeing a reserve not met result, but in the case of that turd seller, I’m kinda glad nobody got stuck with that submerged piece of $hit. Caveat emptor! I usually pass on at least a couple of cars before I land on one that i eventually purchase. I bailed out on 2 BaT Land Cruiser auctions prior to eventually getting one I was happy with at a price that was favorable to me. Ended up getting my LX450 for $17k. Now I have the extra $10k I saved when I bailed out a few weeks back to pay for ARB lockers and a winch at Duggy’s Garage. See you soon Duggy.

Hardly anyone lists what they bought their 80 for on this thread.
1635163252995.gif

Well, I may be new to this site, but since I purchased a fairly easily identifiable LX450 with an Ironman bumper and snorkel as well as an OME lift and a set of aftermarket wheels and tires via popular website (BaT), (who published the final sale price on their site), I determined that it wasn’t worth trying to hide the actual purchase price from all y’all internet detectives sitting at home. In the case of the vehicle I purchased, I’m ok with what I spent which was the goal going into this. I’ve never bought anything from BaT prior to this vehicle so I did take a calculated risk. I bought a vehicle with high mileage but which came with $10k worth of required maintenance receipts, plus a recent top end, and $10k worth of tasteful bolt ons for $17k. Also, the vehicle was 6 miles away from me when I bought it so I saved the cost of shipping one from the west coast. I have been amazed by the cruiser every time I take it out. It’s actually awesome. I take it to a meetup on Sunday mornings and people go nuts over it while it’s parked next to cars costing considerably more. This thing is great. I’m just bummed it took me this long to realize how awesome they are. I should have been buying these from attractive soccer milfs years ago. I like things that are really really amazingly good at their intended purpose. This is one of those things.

I have a thread on here documenting my purchase and refresh of my 80. 4 years in the making Land Cruiser owner. I bought mine for $13,000 OTD. January 25th, 2020, ya know, RIGHT before the prices started rising. Had the K294 and Lseat leather. I've put a lot of money into it as many on here know. I got lucky. And I'd pay that again for the same vehicle. Very expensive upkeep, comes with the territory of owning a Flagship vehicle that cost $45,000-$50,000 back in 1995. I knew that coming in. Members of the forum told me at the time I was on the border of overpaying. Now it's a steal. I bought it from a local Toyota dealer to boot. The Salesman was very cool, told me stories of selling the 80 series brand new. And how people would come in and buy 5 for celebrities in California. Very interesting stories he told me about Land Cruiser. Also how much more expensive and valuable they are in Africa. One Land Cruiser that costs $86,000 new here, costs a Million dollars in Africa. A Land Cruiser broker if you will. I'll never get rid of it. My 2 year old already loves it and always asks to "drive it". Grabs at the 4x4 shifter and the windshield wiper stalks. It's the best. In fact, eventually all I will own is Land Cruiser.

Great to hear some of these 80 series trucks are getting in the hands of people who are driving and enjoying, that is the best way to Legitimize the value!

Most who have experienced them for many years aren't really shocked at the level of enthusiasm and current market!

I have a thread on here documenting my purchase and refresh of my 80. 4 years in the making Land Cruiser owner. I bought mine for $13,000 OTD. January 25th, 2020, ya know, RIGHT before the prices started rising. Had the K294 and Lseat leather. I've put a lot of money into it as many on here know. I got lucky. And I'd pay that again for the same vehicle. Very expensive upkeep, comes with the territory of owning a Flagship vehicle that cost $45,000-$50,000 back in 1995. I knew that coming in. Members of the forum told me at the time I was on the border of overpaying. Now it's a steal. I bought it from a local Toyota dealer to boot. The Salesman was very cool, told me stories of selling the 80 series brand new. And how people would come in and buy 5 for celebrities in California. Very interesting stories he told me about Land Cruiser. Also how much more expensive and valuable they are in Africa. One Land Cruiser that costs $86,000 new here, costs a Million dollars in Africa. A Land Cruiser broker if you will. I'll never get rid of it. My 2 year old already loves it and always asks to "drive it". Grabs at the 4x4 shifter and the windshield wiper stalks. It's the best. In fact, eventually all I will own is Land Cruiser.
I have been surprised at the upkeep costs of the 80 series compared to my previous FJ60's. I hardly ever had to do anything to the old 2F's besides occasional valve adjustments. The FZJ80 seems like the baselining never ends and the quirky nature of diagnosing problems is way more complicated. Almost everyday someone posts a mysterious no start or idle condition and it takes 10 pages of everyone guessing at the origin of the problem. The tight engine bay compared to the older models gets frustrating for those of us with larger hand size. It's just the price of owning a legend of a landcruiser, the 80 being the best of the best, though sometimes I miss the manual transmission and simplicity of the older models. Can't have it all.

I actually feel the opposite. Pretty low cost of ownership actually and very low upkeep but maybe i've gotten lucky.
Except for the gas

Bought mine a few years ago when they were still cheap and even though they're great don't know if I would spend the comparable money they're going for now.

I have been surprised at the upkeep costs of the 80 series compared to my previous FJ60's. I hardly ever had to do anything to the old 2F's besides occasional valve adjustments. The FZJ80 seems like the baselining never ends and the quirky nature of diagnosing problems is way more complicated. Almost everyday someone posts a mysterious no start or idle condition and it takes 10 pages of everyone guessing at the origin of the problem. The tight engine bay compared to the older models gets frustrating for those of us with larger hand size. It's just the price of owning a legend of a landcruiser, the 80 being the best of the best, though sometimes I miss the manual transmission and simplicity of the older models. Can't have it all.
Interesting perspective. If we're generalizing, seems to me the 60's are always the ones breaking down in large groups and the 80s are typically leading the charge. All I see are nonstop trail photos of 60 owners under their hoods.

That said, it does seem like 80 parts are on the large more expensive than 60. I don't have any facts to back that up though.

Interesting perspective. If we're generalizing, seems to me the 60's are always the ones breaking down in large groups and the 80s are typically leading the charge. All I see are nonstop trail photos of 60 owners under their hoods.

That said, it does seem like 80 parts are on the large more expensive than 60. I don't have any facts to back that up though.
I'm comparing apples to watermelons. I've owned three 60's and was missing the old school feel of them compared to the newer school feel of the 80. I just haven't had that fall in love feeling like you get driving the older classics. I do think that the 80 is the best looking and it represents the peak of Landcruiserdom. The more I get done to it, the better I feel about it though. The high prices were making me think about selling it eventually and acquiring a 40 series, but I think those prices are coming back down to earth recently, so will continue to drive, diagnose, and fix the 80 until it is close to perfection as my wallet allows.

IMHO the gas prices SHOULD pick away at leisure buyers since SHOULD BE harder to justify buying a 30 year old vehicle that MIGHT get 13 mpg. A looming recession SHOULD also BE putting cold water on the market. Collectors COULD pay the big $$ for extremely clean, low mileage, locked, examples.
Fixed that for you

Sorry just being pedantic but you are speculating and using the wrong language. There are no guarantees in the future only observation based on past trends.

It's interesting watching people evaluate what 80s are worth to them in this thread, since it's rarely the same number compared with to others. What's a steal to one person is over paying to another. I watch this thread for objective sales data, not the debate and I encourage other members to do the same. We may as well be debating if we prefer blondes or brunettes.

I have 100k in to my cruiser that i bought for $500. Feel free to call me stupid, i won't care. I enjoy the truck. It's kept me sane through covid. It's worth every penny. Just be prepared to have to spend money on what ever you buy, no matter how clean, to make it "yours" and double the amount of your original estimate to be close to what it'll actually cost. If you want cheap and boring, buy a Jeep.

I doubt they'll lose a lot of value over time, it's not like Toyota is making more of them. But I'd question anyone getting in to an 80 to make money unless they're a dedicated restoration shop.

(Excuse the typoes - i blame it on drink #5 waiting for a delayed flight) :beer:

It's interesting watching people evaluate what 80s are worth to them in this thread, since it's rarely the same number compared with to others. What's a steal to one person is over paying to another. I watch this thread for objective sales data, not the debate and I encourage other members to do the same. We may as well be debating if we prefer blondes or brunettes.

I have 100k in to my cruiser that i bought for $500. Feel free to call me stupid, i won't care. I enjoy the truck. It's kept me sane through covid. It's worth every penny. Just be prepared to have to spend money on what ever you buy, no matter how clean, to make it "yours" and double the amount of your original estimate to be close to what it'll actually cost. If you want cheap and boring, buy a Jeep.

I doubt they'll lose a lot of value over time, it's not like Toyota is making more of them. But I'd question anyone getting in to an 80 to make money unless they're a dedicated restoration shop.

(Excuse the typoes - i blame it on drink #5 waiting for a delayed flight) :beer:
Having obscene money into an 80 is probably more common than you think lol. I "overpaid" for mine by the standards at the time, but it was incredibly clean, well kept, and worth every cent. I don't identify with all of the people saying they wouldn't buy one now bc of the pricing, I still would honestly but I just like them that much :meh:

Having obscene money into an 80 is probably more common than you think lol. I "overpaid" for mine by the standards at the time, but it was incredibly clean, well kept, and worth every cent. I don't identify with all of the people saying they wouldn't buy one now bc of the pricing, I still would honestly but I just like them that much :meh:
Hey, it's still cheaper than a new one 😎

If somebody gave me a budget of $25k to buy a “car,” how much car do you think you could get for that price these days? Sure would be pretty stylish getting around town in an entry level new or late model s***box made out of mostly plastic. I’m amazed at the still relatively awesome “older” cars you could get for that price. Of course you would need to be able to take care of it yourself to save on maintenance, but you would be a whole lot cooler rollin’ up in your bench seat OBS pickup, or American muscle, or JDM anything than some dude rollin’ his monthly payment s***box. Not to mention the fact that you can actually work on the old stuff yourself and if you choose wisely, you can sell your car for more than you paid for it instead of depreciating a new junk box when you drive it off the lot. Give me the old stuff, a manual, and enough tools to keep ‘em running and I’ll be in the garage workin’ on my stuff.

Only 100k bro? Gotta pump those numbers up. Those are rookie numbers in this racket.

How much does your wife think you spent?
@Feldrian
Wife is Banker. I think she knows the exact tally before i do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom