Monstaliner regrets anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

*This is the only pic I had for this post*

6months in to a new to me '02 LX470.
190K on the clock. No issues so far. Good bill of health.
Paint looks great, no Oxy or fade. Plastic kinda not great.

Useage: daily driver but not necessary, just like to drive.
City dweller. Camping and beginning off roader. Tahoe, Yosemite, Deth Vally trips here and there.
Looking to install KISS drawers, roof rack, lights and maybe down the line a bumper.
Tire carrier and Jerry cans installed presently.

Paints fine but wanting to, I dunno, Plasti dip the cladding, bumpers.

Then saw tons of posts about Monstaliner.

I like to drink champagne but don't like the color on my LX. Geti g used to it but Meh...

Any you guys went deep and full Monstaliner the whole truck in say a black, grey or Green?
I'm no mad Max but I mainly wanted a camping/bug rig.

Kinda hate the thought of scratching up my paint cause there's no going back...
Looking for opinions/suggestions/thoughts.

I've Monstalined a few projects and one complete exterior and interior. It can be "repaired" or touched up if needed. I've never had to do this, but IMO stay with colors stocked by ML and not a custom tint for a full exterior. If you need to repair and have a custom tint color more than likely you will never get an exact match again.

One thing to remember is if you or anyone else wants to remove it in the future and go back to paint it is a time consuming and messy process. Aircraft strippers work the best to keep the integrity of the steel panels. If you use wire wheels, sanding discs or similar the heat they create can warp the panels and ruin them.

I personally liked the full lined exterior. I made the texture semi smooth for ease of cleaning it.

GL and take your time if you do this.

J

I've Monstalined a few projects and one complete exterior and interior. It can be "repaired" or touched up if needed. I've never had to do this, but IMO stay with colors stocked by ML and not a custom tint for a full exterior. If you need to repair and have a custom tint color more than likely you will never get an exact match again.

One thing to remember is if you or anyone else wants to remove it in the future and go back to paint it is a time consuming and messy process. Aircraft strippers work the best to keep the integrity of the steel panels. If you use wire wheels, sanding discs or similar the heat they create can warp the panels and ruin them.

I personally liked the full lined exterior. I made the texture semi smooth for ease of cleaning it.

GL and take your time if you do this.

J
Holy smokes you got it dialed in. I'm a beginner DIY guy so less is more for me. I'd def stay with stock colors. I'd have to learn how to paint the thing too. So this means trial by error. Worries about screwing it up so asking for simple solution with best results. Liking the *smooth* idea. Do tell. Send a link if you can

Yeah I'm letting go of resale value if I do a liner paint job. Kinda why I'm asking about remorse.

Jumping over from the 60 section, I'll chime in with my experience -

I monstalined the 60 two summers ago, mainly due to the amount of work the cruiser would've needed to get ready for conventional paint. The rear quarters, doors, fenders and front valance were dented and poorly bondo'd over with a peeling respray. The beauty of monstaliner is it hides imperfections, so for me lining the truck made sense. Also, the cost of a regular rock-solid paint job didn't make sense on a rig that i'd be running around on trails.

Two years later, I still dig the monstaliner look, but there are times when I pass by a well kept 60 in sky blue and feel like "aaaawe man, I should've waited a few years and saved up for paint work" but other times when kicking up rocks on a trail I'm glad I have the liner. Give-and-take.

Some tips if you do embark on this journey, take your time and plan out your method of attack. I pulled all the doors/hatch/fenders/hood, lined the roof/body/doorjambs, then rehung the doors and lined them on a later day. I wasn't sure if gravity would have an effect on the texture pattern so I wanted to paint the doors vertically to match the quarters, rockers and fenders. It took 3 gallons and a quart, plus about twelve rollers. I imagine if you just painted the exterior of your truck it would be easier.

IMG_1491.jpeg

Jumping over from the 60 section, I'll chime in with my experience -

I monstalined the 60 two summers ago, mainly due to the amount of work the cruiser would've needed to get ready for conventional paint. The rear quarters, doors, fenders and front valance were dented and poorly bondo'd over with a peeling respray. The beauty of monstaliner is it hides imperfections, so for me lining the truck made sense. Also, the cost of a regular rock-solid paint job didn't make sense on a rig that i'd be running around on trails.

Two years later, I still dig the monstaliner look, but there are times when I pass by a well kept 60 in sky blue and feel like "aaaawe man, I should've waited a few years and saved up for paint work" but other times when kicking up rocks on a trail I'm glad I have the liner. Give-and-take.

Some tips if you do embark on this journey, take your time and plan out your method of attack. I pulled all the doors/hatch/fenders/hood, lined the roof/body/doorjambs, then rehung the doors and lined them on a later day. I wasn't sure if gravity would have an effect on the texture pattern so I wanted to paint the doors vertically to match the quarters, rockers and fenders. It took 3 gallons and a quart, plus about twelve rollers. I imagine if you just painted the exterior of your truck it would be easier.

View attachment 2001048
Wow. Yes, well she looks great.
I would def be rolling(or spray if I had the where with all) straight on as it's stands. I mean you have the bumper and rugged no nonsense look. A purpose built truck.
Would you have just rolled it on without thanking the doors off? Any techniques to share?

Keep in mind the additional weight that product adds if that's something you're concerned about

Did my 4Runner and loved it. I custom color matched and that has faded, would NOT do that again, but overall I am happy with it.

4Runner needed paint badly before I rolled it, so it fit the bill nicely to hide some of the imperfections from the repairs. Didn't hide everything, but I was happy.

Would I do it again? Not sure... Maybe a trailer, but probably not a vehicle.

I had a '99 LX with a very bad paint job. I was seriously considering a Monstaline job on it in a dark tan color. My truck was about a $5-6k truck, so it made absolutely no sense to me to drop another $2-3k on a real paint job. I love the flat paint look on trucks, and had I kept the '99 (I found a good deal on an '05), I definitely would have ended up doing the Monstaliner. It seems you already know it'll affect the resale, but it's your truck and in all honesty, it's never going to be a $20,000 classic car going across the block at Mecum even with a $5k custom paint job.

View attachment 2001033

*This is the only pic I had for this post*

6months in to a new to me '02 LX470.
190K on the clock. No issues so far. Good bill of health.
Paint looks great, no Oxy or fade. Plastic kinda not great.

Useage: daily driver but not necessary, just like to drive.
City dweller. Camping and beginning off roader. Tahoe, Yosemite, Deth Vally trips here and there.
Looking to install KISS drawers, roof rack, lights and maybe down the line a bumper.
Tire carrier and Jerry cans installed presently.

Paints fine but wanting to, I dunno, Plasti dip the cladding, bumpers.

Then saw tons of posts about Monstaliner.

I like to drink champagne but don't like the color on my LX. Geti g used to it but Meh...

Any you guys went deep and full Monstaliner the whole truck in say a black, grey or Green?
I'm no mad Max but I mainly wanted a camping/bug rig.

Kinda hate the thought of scratching up my paint cause there's no going back...
Looking for opinions/suggestions/thoughts.
Why dont you get it wrapped it vinyl, not as expensive as paint, protects car, and can be removed

So guys: what's the prep like? Is the paint forgiving of a DIY prep job?
Would I be better off having someone do it? What's the timeline look at prep to last coat dry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom