Events/Trails Mojave Trail Novemeber 2019 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great pictures and write ups. Thanks to those that helped with my radiator. Frank for diagnosis, Mike for the Bars leak donation, Bauers and team for the email to Bud for the used radiator that Jeff donated, Tony in the Tundra for the 30+ mile tow in the dust and dark, Bud for delivering the radiator and picking up three gallons of coolant, and Brian for the early morning help with the removal and install. And to all for encouragement, tools, straps and offers to help. The help of this group continues to amaze, and made it possible to continue the trip and make it home safely. :clap::clap::clap:

That radiator recovery was a never say die club victory for sure.

Agreed. His Trundra was very well built for over landing.

Alright, well now that the dust has settled (literally), we've covered a few stories and/or points, and shared a TON of awesome photos and videos (345 and counting!) - does anyone have any post-trip reflections to share, about traveling in a group that size, about your setups, things we should do/not do in the future, etc...? What does everyone do after the trip, do you go through your truck bolt by bolt or wait until the day before your next trip? :rofl: I haven't done anything expect spray the heck out of the bottom to wash the acidic grime away, but I should probably go through the air filters, and check some nuts/bolts?

I also plan to pack a small bag that contains the items that are last to get used - namely coffee stuff and a fork/spoon, and probably the jet boil. I had packed these in my main storage container but realized quickly I just needed one little thing and I'd have to unstrap/restrap the storage container. This way I can either keep it all packed (say for a quick lunch stop) or pack away the main bits (say early morning wheels up) and leave out only the last minute items for quick grab and go.

Oh.. and I underestimated the amount of beer and overestimated the amount of water needed. :cheers:

Edit: I also thought it was helpful to have a wheels up time each morning - not a window, but a specific time we should be ready to roll. Gave everyone something to plan around. I also liked getting into camp before dark, I understand it's not always possible but see prior point - I feel like we were routinely behind schedule in the mornings, which pushed the time we got into camp that much later. Very minor points!!!

Last edited:
I have been on some runs with 25+ rigs (was on a few overland trips in the U.P (Michigan) and this went better.) The first trip they tried that old keep the person behind you in sight but that just stretched the group way out. The next year they tried "speak up or keep up" where if the group is going to fast you radio up and the front slows down. That did a massively better job keeping the group together. I think with the unavoidable dust you just have to accept the group is going to get stretched out but regardless Jeff did a great job pausing at key points to let everyone catch up.

I also like the wheels up time and at least trying to get to camp before dark. Sometimes you just can't, but it's a nice target.

I too finally unpacked and got my truck sort of vacuumed it out last night. I don't typically go over it all that well but after a dust run of this magnitude I will replace the air filter at the very least. We all should probably check our diff fluid for any signs of water intrusion.

Otherwise I don't think I'd change anything except maybe try to get Monday off so I could have camped Sunday night. It was a really fun trip.

Frank

I have been on some runs with 25+ rigs (was on a few overland trips in the U.P (Michigan) and this went better.) The first trip they tried that old keep the person behind you in sight but that just stretched the group way out. The next year they tried "speak up or keep up" where if the group is going to fast you radio up and the front slows down. That did a massively better job keeping the group together. I think with the unavoidable dust you just have to accept the group is going to get stretched out but regardless Jeff did a great job pausing at key points to let everyone catch up.

I also like the wheels up time and at least trying to get to camp before dark. Sometimes you just can't, but it's a nice target.

I too finally unpacked and got my truck sort of vacuumed it out last night. I don't typically go over it all that well but after a dust run of this magnitude I will replace the air filter at the very least. We all should probably check our diff fluid for any signs of water intrusion.

Otherwise I don't think I'd change anything except maybe try to get Monday off so I could have camped Sunday night. It was a really fun trip.

Frank
What's the easiest way to check diff fluid and what would I be looking for?

Stick your finger in there. If it comes out gray and bubbly it has water in it. If it looks like oil then you're good.

Front, check at transfer case. I think it's a hex bolt, but not sure on your model.

Rear, top bolt on rear differential. I think it's a 24mm.
I *generally* like any process that involves sticking my finger in there.

I got one of Greg's cabin air filter prototypes for the 80 a few years back. It has definitely jumped to the front of the line of upcoming mods. Here is a lengthy thread on ideas others have. I made the mistake of opening the fresh air vent at speed on the hwy into Laughlin. ☁☁☁☁☁🤮

I noticed on the 2nd day my 4WD light was flashing even in 2H but didn't notice anything acting funny, got home did some research and found out the ADD (Automatic Differential disconnect) on the front axle had faulted. I climbed underneath and found my scuba'd breather had come off and I probably sucked in some water going through the crossing. I've been checking it the last couple days and its been actuating and no flashing so I'm hoping it dried out and dodged a bullet. But morale of the story like Frank said, check your diffs and breathers to make sure you didn't suck in any water.

20191112_180828.jpg

I had extended my front diff breather up to the hood but the rear is up to the underside of the truck which was well under water so I need to check my rear diff.

Sometimes water mixed with oil can also make a milky white paste.

If your diff breather caps worked as they should water should have been kept out but it never hurts to check when the water is up to your headlights, or in Mogwai's case hood.

Frank

I had extended my front diff breather up to the hood but the rear is up to the underside of the truck which was well under water so I need to check my rear diff.

Sometimes water mixed with oil can also make a milky white paste.

If your diff breather caps worked as they should water should have been kept out but it never hurts to check when the water is up to your headlights, or in Mogwai's case hood.

Frank
You calling me short!?! I will check my breathers and diffs tomorrow. I'm 100% sure they were all under water, so hopefully the check valves were up to snuff.

Anyone remember that one time Frank tried to pull an Irish goodbye and walk away from the group sitting around the fire... but 30 minutes later came back and asked which direction his camp was? :p Good times...

30 minutes? Try 4, I got lost right away... I think.

30 minutes? Try 4, I got lost right away... I think.
HAHA... 30 makes for a way better story. Let's agree to disagree and call it 15 :p

For the 80 series folks also check your transfer case. The often overlooked transfer breather goes from the actuator into a T on the top left rear of the transfer case then runs forward to the transmission dip stick tube. Unless you have personally replaced it I'd bet it's original.

Hi Everyone
FYI - Farrah just submitted the article and images to TLA Magazine. Stan with TLA says that the Jan/Feb magazine is pretty full and doesn't know if he can get our article in for that issue. if he can't it will go into the March issue. Thanks everyone for a great trip and contributing to the amazing photo/video collection!

For the 80 series folks also check your transfer case. The often overlooked transfer breather goes from the actuator into a T on the top left rear of the transfer case then runs forward to the transmission dip stick tube. Unless you have personally replaced it I'd bet it's original.

Good advice!

I took my transmission, transfer case, front and rear breathers and ran them up under the hood to an ARB breather kit...just an idea,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom