Events/Trails Mojave Trail Novemeber 2019 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

About 12 hours from meeting and getting the trip rolling. See a bunch of you soon.

Good old Saline Valley Hot Spings, bring a bottle or two of wine for the drum circle at night, you'll have lots of friends then. At least that's what I heard. 😉

2 new 20 liter Wavian fuel cans along with a 20 liter water can arrived in today's mail.
PS - I'm bringing the left over bag of Halloween candy for desert!
Yep tried using my new Wavian 20L blue can for H2O. Got a beautiful pile of rust. Doh!

Yep tried using my new Wavian 20L blue can for H2O. Got a beautiful pile of rust. Doh!

Wavian is very specific about not using their metal 'fuel' cans for water. They state that the coating in them is specific for oil products and will break down with water. They sell a nice plastic water container for $50 which seems pretty nice and has a tapped hole at the bottom for a spiggot with valve that stores in the top lid. We'll see how it works on this trip.

Wavian is very specific about not using their metal 'fuel' cans for water. They state that the coating in them is specific for oil products and will break down with water. They sell a nice plastic water container for $50 which seems pretty nice and has a tapped hole at the bottom for a spiggot with valve that stores in the top lid. We'll see how it works on this trip.
Wow I'll bet not many people know that, thanks for the info. :beer: This needs to be a sticky?

Last edited:
We I am back. I actually got home around 10 to 7 and in time to tuck my youngers into bed. I have to say this was one epic adventure. That water crossing at Afton Canyon is legit. My truck was starting to bob up and down like it was starting to float.

I am still waiting for my pictures to synch up after which I will post some of them up.

Can't wait to see that drone footage!

Frank

Definitely a fun trip!! Got back around 8PM last night, after airing up at the CO river, gassing up in Laughlin, and realizing I got an hour back after crossing into CA! Given the number of rigs (final count of 18) it was very well organized and never felt that big. I'll leave the story telling to others, there were some good ones! Below is a link to a shared album, feel free to add photos/videos if you want, I know there were some professional camera's out there, mine are not of that quality so if you upload and there are similar photos, but one better than another I'll trim out the fat: Mojave Rd 2019 - Beach n' Toys

Edit: individual water crossing videos from Tim are up! There are a few trucks missing though due to drone battery swap. And if you just want the short, combined version with bad background music try this: New video by Z Carr

Last edited:
It was sorta cold Saturday night but I felt better when the sun came up!
5AC49C90-9B47-4607-99BA-9267A65006ED.jpeg

I think the wheeling highlights were that water crossing that one hill climb, both fun!

Frank

Well this has to a be a top shelf event due to the people.... those are what make the trips the best, and of coarse the country we are in. Day 1 for the 8 that came up from San Diego and met 6 that were already there and had wheeled the beginning of the trail. One small no start issue was fixed pretty quickly. Once on point I learned quickly how my Gaia app works, a wrong turn...opps. Then we hits the water crossing. Found I have a small leak in one of the doors so something to fix. From there one rig had a radiator issue and a big save from the whole team, that included the tow and fix it team to the team that brought a new radiator up for the truck!!! First nights camp was late in to but nice on the back side of Hanks mountain. Day two was awesome with Lava tubes, Government holes and mail box. Another small issue developed and again the team crushed it, fire, what fire??? Night two was amazing, between the pot luck stuff to the drive in to the camp site with the camp site itself, great finish to the day. Day three went fast as the roads opened up a bit and we cruised through them. Big items we checked of the list were the Penny tree, Fort Puite and "The Obstacle" . At the end we all had a good laugh and lots of joy of finishing the trail. Amazing how this trip was ran with 18 rigs but never felt too big like @Mogwai stated. Again thanks to the members who came as they made this trip so memorable. Please post your images and videos to the Google drive as @Phulcrum and Farrah are going to be working up videos.

When your headlights touch the water....

Want to make this trip one day. Looks awesome

Is there any way to get rough coordinates of where you guys camped? Looks like these are a couple spots?

View attachment 2130823

View attachment 2130825
I'm sure someone has the coords for the 2nd site up new York Mountain Rd - worth it. The first site was behind Hanks mountain, a bit off the trail, we did this since someone was arriving late and this spot was more convenient off the 15. Instead I'd prob take one of the offshoots on the south side of little cowhole mountain which is closer to Mojave Rd trail itself. It also depends on whether you run west to east like we did, or if you go east to west these spots may not align with your travel.

Excellent picture of that tarantula.

Frank

Great trip. Link to a few of my photos from the trip.

Mojave Road 2019
Thanks for getting those shots of my vehicle at the top of the hill! That D810 takes great pictures (so does the photographer) - all of them are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom