Utah COVID-19 Closures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Moab took a heavy hit due to this virus. EJS (Easter Jeep safari) and CM2020 (Cruise Moab) got cancelled. Their tourism economy is gonna take a hit.

@pappy - where we like to play, does all that fall in Grand county? For ex Lockhart Basin and way down south of Moab?

ATTENTION: The following order will be strictly enforced. Violation of the order is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by up to 6 months in jail, and fines of up to $1,950. Violations also could result in the revocation of overnight accommodation licensure.

UPDATE: Southeast Utah Health Department Issues Order Restricting Lodging, Food Establishments, and Closing Public Places

The Southeast Utah Health Department on March 17, 2020, issued a Public Health Order that places strict limitations on food establishments, closes movie theaters and other public places, and orders overnight lodging establishments to only accept new reservations for rooms for "essential visitors" effective at 10 p.m. tonight.
The order states in part:
"Overnight Lodging. Effective at 10 pm (MST) on March 17, 2020, all overnight and short-term lodging facilities (including but not limited to hotels, motels, condos, townhomes, guest homes, RV parks, and all camping on public or private lands) within Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties may only check-in, rent, or lease to Essential Visitors and Primary Residents. Essential Visitors and Primary Residents may utilize public lands for primitive camping purposes. No camp shall be located within 200 yards of another camp and no camp shall consist of more than IO people. An Essential Visitor is any individual renting lodging or camping for an amount of time less than 30 days for the purposes of work within Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties, or for an employer within the boundaries of Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties, and their spouse and dependents. Primary Residents are any individuals renting lodging for periods of 30 days or greater or whose primary address is within one of the counties."

STAY INSIDE!

Unless you are able to leave your house with all supplies, go to camp, not see anyone else, and make it home without even getting gas, just dont bother.

Lot of chatter about people wanting to take this time to just get away from it all out in the woods...meanwhile they stop and get gas...hit up a WalMart for a few additional supplies....maybe a fast food joint or two....couple fuel stops......thats the opposite of what people should be doing.

Were you guys searching for "moab" and found this thread in a local clubhouse? :)

SE Utah is locked down!!!

"In an effort to protect Moab from visitors possibly carrying the coronavirus disease, the Southeast Utah Health Department ordered Tuesday, March 17 that all lodging businesses in Grand, Carbon and Emery counties not check in anybody unless the guests can prove they work in one of those counties or are directly related to such a person."

Moab Hospital Medical Director Asks Tourists To Stay Away From National Parks

\/ \/ THIS ONE IS THE BIG NEWS \/ \/
^^ THIS ONE IS THE BIG NEWS ^^

I know, I understand, getting away from the congestion and masses of the bigger cities and going out to the wide open desert is appealing especially now, we all get it, but when that happens, the congestion and crowding is just shifted. Isolation doesn't exist when thousands are looking for it in the same place. It's not just moab, but of course that's my voice as I live here and work in healthcare. It happens, 4K-5K and more people (easily doubling the population and more) come to town every weekend and then Milt's has a hundred people standing shoulder to shoulder in line around the building, and City Market has no parking spots, and Walker has a line stretching to the toy aisle, and people are just strolling around downtown eating ice cream and rifling through red dirt shirts and trinkets. People talk about getting away out in the desert but they really just hang out when they get back from the trails, Arches, or whatever. We're social creatures of habit and getting together just happens, It's THAT hanging out that's going to bring caronavirus here. We're ALL going to be exposed but we can all something to draw that out and not potentiate the exponential growth curve.

"And despite the statewide cancellation of events and the shutdown of public schools, people are also still visiting Moab—which does not yet have a confirmed case of the virus."

Please please, read those articles and heed public health warnings! I know Moab depends on tourism but we cannot deal with the exposure rate were seeing in Washington and Italy! We NEED to be active participants in slowing the exposure rate, not just in rural SE Utah but everywhere!

Moab is a small community (pop 5,000) and will be overwhelmed with but a handful of cases. We only have a 17 bed floor with level 3 trauma unit with the nearest level 4 trauma hospital (Grand Junction) a 2-hour drive. Visitors continue to invade as they flee their communities with tens to 100+ COVID19 cases and community x-mission.
As people flee their crowded areas to "be alone in the desert", they will bring the virus and are bringing the congestion and crowding too. Isolation doesn't exist when thousands are looking for it in the same place, stopping at stores en route, from communities with person-person transmission are ways this disease is spreading so quickly.😫

Some communities (Washington and Italy) were hit so hard so fast they could only be reactionary, others have seen this response and are trying to be more proactive with measures to reduce person-person contact and therefore slow transmission and "flatten the curve". we ALL need to be a part of slowing transmission so that hospitals and communities do not see spikes in confirmed cases. Reducing transmission opportunity is key to reducing slowing spread. We're all going to get it but we don't all have to get it at the same time. If we can heed public health warning and slow spread we are less likely to overwhelm healthcare systems. Serious cases require intensive care and respiratory support AND significant equipment to care for those patients. Caring for these patients involves people (healthcare workers) who are MOST at risk of contraction and therefore will become unavailable to care for the most serious patients, all while not having the equipment to handle the number of patients requiring the care....

We're already in a bind as PPE (personal Protective Equipment, gloves, masks, face shields, etc.) are in SHORT supply without resupply until fall. As such, with these supply shortages healthcare institutions are forced into novel means to help protect the workers and patients alike. We (and many other institutions Stateside and Worldwide) are forced to reuse single-use items. We wear masks to NOT transmit Dz to Patients as well as protect ourselves from patient disease.

Please Please! Isolate at HOME, don't go on vacation. A few years ago a confirmed mumps case from North of here, who was ordered to home quarantine, came to Moab to vacation for the long weekend. 😲😣

Please, we implore you! This is a time for action for greater good rather than selfism. 🙏

Good COVID-19 (aka SARS-CoV-2) info (while I'm.on about it): Coronavirus is most contagious before and during the first week of symptoms

Were you guys searching for "moab" and found this thread in a local clubhouse? :)

It was on the whats new page... @DRANGED is very informed on the haps in Moab... :)

ahhh, I've never looked at that page. Going there now.

Yeah I just hit "New Posts" and saw it.

Hey all returned yesterday from Valley of the Gods Utah ! WOW what an awesome place!
WE WERE TOLD TO LEAVE BY THE SHERIFFS DEPARTMENT!!! Because we were not county residents, more COVID-19 craziness.
U1Qm2-HTkJ9fw_vCBMJr9oXGa0kUxsMUbiJdcKQofY0J1WJmYmT08TSHoF_XVJ9bB2LvcRbtp46fF1HGKkHpdPU3GLDZ64d9YakRf-Oi37-R3MKc3A13sNxV9hEeFWzDdhU7AgS5FVDCEZM417i1MnuAZlgs1EsbJrfA3B3c5TndsNUPFu2fzMKFkPtmadv6Nu2-4OYqbnrvnDWfK7-rFAq-9Q3dme0c0n_wspnFnDCTYOC1E9fs5ghP9TK8PtMbkgormy0LGLk70zdsGBRSjzL6wSmoPJwxRns2UpYQELuz7N6Z_de8F_GEAriajmAQ6ARL8jCB7RPJH8E8EAdQe1gIJxNF3mzMn8ychuOPb8D9z9WdtC0LwvPrgBq4ZEVvk5hDW11deLeu0NOeFTn9yAdCZ1IBUsWMATZJxm04g9hUu5g3RmQpDDPUDu3-UhgjkjOmiu-FFMRNjGdKkY0B3AanzmUVYucf_uElu3BS_N4pTB3qD2UQzZ848SfPUedB9raJ39LAO4PW-s9XbMWUm68dWzHNukal4l0RFJmB4CAS2129WNixRYbA7D0GSpbxEq3njKooEnZF7fYF33NI1ESje9YwSRlZZWA-GYd-yaWpx5wAM8CCSLHFf_ot7pasglKuZ30QU_10tQVYBBhwCcJIW9RIyIl6m2v14LUU6M3C9mVNb5VJrmYi8_ZsDg=w1190-h892-no
Vg7vCy0TqHx0WtWtM0_1c3sa8nauCk7xq_BZZhwC9O4_NO4uvfk5Iqc7y3Og_Plam0njJW0VwoQzCn7COQJjXc_eNk9e_A5LkwfJR0Kk_5jH9ieKJQC-jofg4titoKxbTyghs46H4sfkNVOtOvAg2PpXpQDkMBC7Uyau9qy_lAUAhuVVH_gboi0p1CMneMRM6g5XbxGebpX_lYBWOb8U7Mp7PuGWpKFHDUyJrUbpxiHiHZQ11R4EeT14376bosRF-GJrdneh4cs9SES6-R4O31IyfL14RJM4ESgVHP8SRYeH87j9mTpM6fmYwk0slHI08oaA1qc338zcUD6rxioYRjmzn9M4pk_aQD2ZN0brBMQwy5zbB_9immvaLtyzVjnUH9eEcylX7TCZ49wo-Tc0e8JJen_Fxr4R1FGjySCfBL8EHPHKFBpq6uzfwDUgwNzNlz-fAJfiKDpz00XkKe6GXckEK5MXpQtRSDFUrrQBH6T2ly5hP_U6MbNIh8AEfwsIQN3Op_cRbSqvOXHyLcNsEv9ZqYDsJkxo43eX3lcBd1Z0CXDCewq8qgtyfIK1VY1n_A2wRRpBSIG0F01P_L9K8p4LrD-xcRdxnlnayKP8uTBuCl6fHH7FwWdT01k-Nex0_kNeBWvM4ujNRrRMVy8uSafYu2ucGDVVPxVQcij5QcVQQryreOIwLcgpumMMug=w1190-h892-no

Interesting. San Juan County was not on the Southeast Utah Health Department order (Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties), unless something has changed.

Yup Saturday BLM reps came around to tell us the Sheriffs deputies would be out and sure enough 2 hours later they gave 24 hours to leave!

Guess we all will need to look for places to camp in NM , for a while.

I emailed the head of the Santa Fe National Forest on if they were still planning on opening the gates to forest service roads in the Jemez and she responded this morning to me with the following:

Not at this time. Typically we don’t start to open gates after winter closure until mid April. This year will likely be different.

Thanks,

Melissa

turning into Nazi Germany

This afternoon I was sitting in the parking lot of Home Depot on Eubank with my AC running while I texted my wife.

I was accused by a paranoid, upset man in his 60s who was yelling something at me. When I asked him what he was upset about, he accuses me of being a spy for the government.

He had convinced himself that the only reason I would be sitting there in a 4runner was because I was spying and watching the cars, as if I'm a secret agent out to make sure people are doing what they're being recommended.

I asked him "This is America, right? I'm going to do whatever the hell I want and sit in my vehicle and text my wife. Mind your own damn business."

Nope. He was convinced I was a spy and that's what I was doing there to make my money. He used the word "spying".

This is not the kind of paranoia I like seeing spread around.

And by the way; today we've exceeded the number of Americans killed in the 9/11 bombings. At a time when Patriots ought to be banding together for the greater good, poorly measured rhetoric is dangerous.

Last edited:
turning into Nazi Germany
I imagine the locals in San Juan County don't want a bunch of "city folk" flooding into their rural areas during this pandemic. They feel somewhat safe being away from the big cities. There is a lot of space , in that big county, where people could camp and be far away from others, but it is what it is.....

This afternoon I was sitting in the parking lot of Home Depot on Eubank with my AC running while I texted my wife.

I was accused by a paranoid, upset man in his 60s who was yelling something at me. When I asked him what he was upset about, he accuses me of being a spy for the government.

He had convinced himself that the only reason I would be sitting there in a 4runner was because I was spying and watching the cars, as if I'm a secret agent out to make sure people are doing what they're being recommended.

I asked him "This is America, right? I'm going to do whatever the hell I want and sit in my vehicle and text my wife. Mind your own damn business."

Nope. He was convinced I was a spy and that's what I was doing there to make my money. He used the word "spying".

This is not the kind of paranoia I like seeing spread around.

And by the way; today we've exceeded the number of Americans killed in the 9/11 bombings. At a time when Patriots ought to be banding together for the greater good, poorly measured rhetoric is dangerous.
Wow, sorry you had to run into this guy. He just doesn't understand that viruses don't have an agenda. Is this whole pandemic being over sold? I don't know yet. When I see nurses and doctors scared to go to their jobs, and they don't have the equipment they need, that gives me pause.... 40 doctors have died in Italy in last few weeks. These front line troops cannot be replaced. Try fighting a real war with guns, but no ammo. This seems like 9/11 in slow motion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom