Utah COVID-19 Closures (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This afternoon I was sitting in the parking lot of Home Depot on Eubank with my AC running while I texted my wife.

I was accused by a paranoid, upset man in his 60s who was yelling something at me. When I asked him what he was upset about, he accuses me of being a spy for the government.

He had convinced himself that the only reason I would be sitting there in a 4runner was because I was spying and watching the cars, as if I'm a secret agent out to make sure people are doing what they're being recommended.

I asked him "This is America, right? I'm going to do whatever the hell I want and sit in my vehicle and text my wife. Mind your own damn business."

Nope. He was convinced I was a spy and that's what I was doing there to make my money. He used the word "spying".

This is not the kind of paranoia I like seeing spread around.

And by the way; today we've exceeded the number of Americans killed in the 9/11 bombings. At a time when Patriots ought to be banding together for the greater good, poorly measured rhetoric is dangerous.

maybe he's the one who was the spy

This afternoon I was sitting in the parking lot of Home Depot on Eubank with my AC running while I texted my wife.

I was accused by a paranoid, upset man in his 60s who was yelling something at me. When I asked him what he was upset about, he accuses me of being a spy for the government.

He had convinced himself that the only reason I would be sitting there in a 4runner was because I was spying and watching the cars, as if I'm a secret agent out to make sure people are doing what they're being recommended.

I asked him "This is America, right? I'm going to do whatever the hell I want and sit in my vehicle and text my wife. Mind your own damn business."

Nope. He was convinced I was a spy and that's what I was doing there to make my money. He used the word "spying".

And by the way; today we've exceeded the number of Americans killed in the 9/11 bombings. At a time when Patriots ought to be banding together for the greater good, poorly measured rhetoric is dangerous.
Did the guy have a beard, trucker hat and big pot belly? My dad didn't say anything about going to Home Depot but he doesn't always tell me everywhere he's been.

I thought I heard that Sean Connery or Roger Moore were wandering the streets and parking lots. These Old 007 actors have been out of work and this may be effecting their judgement. Did the guy you dealt with have a British accent???? :D

Hot off the press.

1587220146397.png

These threads c/should be merged. . . .

These threads c/should be merged. . . .

I don't think that would be appropriate. The post you reference is over in Chit-Chat. While my star does allow me to combine the two, I would rather keep HDC within HDC. A while back I did suggest merging the San Juan County closure by @bearman512 into this one. I think that is appropriate.

Last edited:
It looks like things are getting dynamic in Utah. This from Kane County. Emphasis mine. I think before anybody considers going to Utah they should visit the respective County's website.

Canyonlands is still closed, and reservations in May have been closed.

On Monday April 13, 2020 Kane County relaxed the restrictions placed on travel by non-county residents. Effective today, some high use areas are designated as “Day Use Only”. Those areas include Wirepass Trailhead, Dry Fork Trailhead and its associated slot canyons, Elephant Cove Trailhead, Hog Canyon, The Dry Lakebed near Coral Pink Sand Dunes, and Peekaboo Slot Canyon Trailhead North of Kanab. Any other High-Density Recreation Areas where large groups of campers congregate are also open for “Day Use Only”.

Primitive or over-night camping that is otherwise allowed in other areas of Kane County is allowed for anyone so long as any single group is limited to ten people or a single household and each group is located at least 50 yards away from any other group.

Hiking and ATV use is allowed in all properly designated areas and trails.

State Parks are still only open to residents of the county where the state park resides.

For information on Federal Parks and recreation areas, please check their associated websites.

Kane County asks that all parties recreate responsibly and safely to alleviate overloading our limited medical services and personnel.

Last edited:
I imagine the locals in San Juan County don't want a bunch of "city folk" flooding into their rural areas during this pandemic. They feel somewhat safe being away from the big cities. There is a lot of space , in that big county, where people could camp and be far away from others, but it is what it is.....
SJ county was also late to apply restrictions... they waited until the first case before implementing travel restrictions....
It is what it is, and part of SJ is in the Navajo Nation (which is exploding with cases) 😟

But, like many places, reactionary is too late...

Last edited:
Interesting. San Juan County was not on the Southeast Utah Health Department order (Carbon, Emery, and Grand Counties), unless something has changed.

Nope, SJ isn't in the SE UT department, they withdrew a few years ago. 😖

Last edited:
I imagine the locals in San Juan County don't want a bunch of "city folk" flooding into their rural areas during this pandemic. They feel somewhat safe being away from the big cities. There is a lot of space , in that big county, where people could camp and be far away from others, but it is what it is.....
it's less though the camping out in rural areas as it is the refueling and resupplying in stores and gas stations, etc. That's the Crux.

Asymptomatic but infectious people from popationsnwith high community transmission unknowingly spreading the virus to naïve (aka unexposed) populations.

I don't think that would be appropriate. The post you reference is over in Chit-Chat. While my star does allow me to combine the two, I would rather keep HDC within HDC. A while back I did suggest merging the San Juan County closure by @bearman512 into this one. I think that is appropriate.
I'm Sorry, I can see your point. I hadn't gone back to the start to recognize its an HDC thread. I was just going by COVID and SE utah themes. 👍

Stay safe and home, in doing so that helps others stay safe too.

Last edited:
I'd like to get a handle on which counties are closed in UT for dispersed camping. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Garfield county - open
San Juan county
Kane county - open
Grand county
Carbon county
Emery county
Wayne - open

edit: updated list

Last edited:
Things may be changing in early May. I don't know that its clear yet if the state will be determining for all or if the state will still support Regional directorship from the rural offices.

Best to look here and at the district offices. Here is state recreation info related to COVID-19. Here is all UT info from COVID stance. This has a map of regional and local health departments.
And here has a list of state and local directives and orders, clickable by region/local level.

I hope this helps you with your info seeking. And please remember, its not the isolating camping that's hazardous, its the asymptomatic but infected and infectios person prepping drom or restocking at stores, refueling @ gas stations, seeking food/restaurants, etc. without maintaining protective precautions (mask, hand hygiene, distancing, etc.). Small businesses appreciate and need the business, but if travelling from high community transmission communities into communities un-exposed or with isolated cases, PLEASE be vigilant with precautions! 🙏

Moab recently comfied another case last week, well 2 actually. One was from/@ the liquor store (😬) and the other case was from a weekend visitor who started showing symptoms @ home friday yet came to Moab for a long weekend and was tested here while on a weekend vacation. Positive result. Where all did they go during that time here? Thus the contact tracing has begun.

Please PLEASE, if you're going to venture out for amazing spring opportunities, PLEASE be mindful of social distancing when interacting with people, please wash hands and wear a mask. 🙏🙏

Last edited:
I'd like to get a handle on which counties are closed in UT for dispersed camping. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Garfield county
San Juan county
Kane county - not sure
Kane is open to dispersed camping. Garfield was voting on it last week. See my links.

updated my post. Thank you gents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom