Mirrors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I always thought rims were my Waterloo, but I've been very frustrated with the rearview mirror situation lately. Here's my dilemma. My OEM FJ62 mirrors are fried. I've adjusted as much as I could, but they still wobble at speed and need to be replaced.

Here are some options:

1. Get another pair of used FJ62 non-electric chrome mirrors, repaint black.
2. Get a pair of OEM black FJ62 mirrors.
3. Get a pair of OEM "Aussie" (actually Euro) style mirrors from MAF or SOR.
4. Get a pair of cheapo aftermarket replacement from CCOT.
5. Go outside the box and focus on other makes

Here's some pros and cons for the above options:

1. Non-electric mirrors not easy to find, and with the newest FJ62 being 15-yrs old, could be in the same condition as mine (won't know till highway speeds)

2. Available from one source, but expensive, over $300 with the week dollar

3. Available, but expensive, hard to justify $250-$300 for a pair of mirrors

4. I hear from most sources that they vibrate at speed, making the purchase pointless

5. I've seen cheap mirrors on old FJ60's, of the type with the C-shaped brackets, but I don't like the look. Nowadays most vehicles have mirrors integrated into the window corners. I *really* dig the mirrors on the new Wrangler TJ Unlimited, and found them for $120 new for the pair. *However*, they're designed for a flat mount, and the 60 series doors taper out where the mirrors mount. This means I either mount them so they tilt up (will look goofy), or figure out some sort of angled "shim" so they mount straight. They also mount with three screws, so I'd have to drill a couple of new holes into the doors and weld up at least one hole, maybe more.

Any thoughts? I don't want to run the small FJ60 plastic mirrors, that's not an option. I even thought of going with a retro FJ40 mirror look, but the size of the mirror heads is pretty small.

Opinions welcome. I'm leaning towards number 5 (the TJ mirrors), I've pretty much given up on any cheap alternatives on this @#$%^&* truck....

Don't fall for the crappy cheap knockoffs of 62 or OZ/Euro on Ebay. The real OZ/Euro ones are probably good, as are (obviously) new 62 mirrors, power or not.

I like the F350 mirrors that telescope for trailering. But as you discovered, they fit in the corner of the window. No can do, even though I'm in the glass bidness (side glass is curved - if it was flat I'd make new ones & adapt the Ford mirrors).

I bought a pair of the Euro knock-offs on ebay, :doh: and I wasn't happy with the quality. They are still siting in their boxes in my garage (not sure what to do with them). :confused:

I purchased a pair of fj62 non-electric mirrors for my 60 from Cdan. Don't remember the price, but it was less than the "aussie" mirrors from SOR/MAF/etc.

Huge improvement over the stock 60 mirrors. Yes they vibrate a little at speed. But, with a lift, the whole truck vibrates, as do the passengers. I can see better, that's what counts.

At city speeds, no vibration. WAY better vis. Parking/backing-up is a huge improvement.

Maybe if you can't tell, but I like this upgrade. Not perfect, but worthwile.

i'm in the same position as you..

I also need to change my OEM mirrors. my mirrors are the small plastic of FJ60.

I think i'm going to buy the OEM non-electric mirrors of fj62. here in Venezuela they're not hard to find but they're way to expensive

Atomic et al -
Check with Greg Overton ("overton" on this board) to see if he's the source of your crappy knockoff mirrors. He PMd me after I gave him a bad review on Ebay & told the truth about his junk here. Said he'd refund my money, but I'd already "fixed" the mirrors with new glass & some jungle engineering. I told him if he'd offered a money-back guarantee on the Ebay listing I would have taken him up on in instead of taking matters into my own hands.

It's the only thing I've been screwed on from Ebay (if you don't count the JDM axles, inlcluding the FF, which I bought & paid for last year & still haven't received).

Exiled said:
4. Get a pair of cheapo aftermarket replacement from CCOT.

Avoid these. Had a pair and the driver's mirror fell apart.

One more option is to go with 70 series mirrors. Mount same as the 60/62 mirrors. There will be a minor gap between the mirror mount and the door, but with the mirror gasket in place this is hardly noticeable. I like 'em.
mirror3a.jpg

I am used to the small 60 mirrors now. It just takes time. I actually like the look of them better than the larger 62 mirrors.

Just to let you know that there are people on the other side of the conversation.
I don't personally think I would spend that much money on mirrors. There are so many othe things I want :doh:

Good luck.

I had (now in a box) a pair of the CCOT Aussie knock-offs and once I tightened the internal spring they didn't vibrate too bad. Later I found a set of OEM Aussies on clearance from a vendor moving out of the Cruiser spacific market. They are much better and are slightly convex on both sides. I really like that and it's great that they don't have the US warning "things are closer than they appear"

They are expensive and not sure I'd pay $300 for them, but I do like them a lot.

I kind of like the Unlimited mirror idea if you can find a way to make it look good.

you can use OEM fj62 power mirrors, thats what I have on my 60, just stuff the wiring back into the mirror.

Landpimp said:
you can use OEM fj62 power mirrors, thats what I have on my 60, just stuff the wiring back into the mirror.

I did the same vibed before vibe now ...just thought that was a cruiser thing :cheers: there is now way I would spend $300.00 to fix it :beer: I do love the bigger mirrors ... but Henreys all ready has tham since its a 62 he just wants something good looking cheap and vibe free ...... :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2:

I have the chrome plastic 62 mirrors on my 60. They do not vibrate. Function perfectly, in fact. I got them from Mudrak for $160, IIRC.

M

I bought some black 62 style mirrors for my HJ60. It had the chrome jobbies on it. Ill be selling the chrome ones cheap!!!

When I get them soon.

Tom

I picked up the fj62 sized aftermarket plastic chrome mirrors from SOR a few years back and although the adjustment is maxed out, they do not vibrate, have not shattered, and were just over $100. An inexpensive alternative to the Aussie mirrors I hope to get one day.

Godwin said:
One more option is to go with 70 series mirrors. Mount same as the 60/62 mirrors. There will be a minor gap between the mirror mount and the door, but with the mirror gasket in place this is hardly noticeable. I like 'em.

Dude, I'm likin that 70 mirror...but then again i have a 62 and don't need any.

Godwin said:
Avoid these. Had a pair and the driver's mirror fell apart.

I agree with you i like'em a lot, in fact i was looking for them but i it's a little hard to find them. i'm still looking for them they looks sweet!!!.

but in case i don't find them y think i'm going with the 62's . i think i'll find them but they're no cheap at all.

:cheers: nice mirrors!!!!!!! great choise. PM me if any one of you have a pair of them.

Just on the off chance... I just replaced my 60's mirrors with 62 ones. Anybody want my 60 mirrors?

Yeah, didn't think so. :D

I have the cheap ozzie knockoffs and they vibrated like hell on my diesel bj60 so i took them apart and put stickey foam weatherstripping in the back and now they are quite stable and it cost 3.99 to fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom