Replacing Side Mirror (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Someone sideswiped my 62 and broke the mirror. You can see the carnage below. I was hoping to replace the mirror, but it looks like the only part available is 87940-90A09 complete unit, manual only? Has anyone had better luck than me replacing a mirror?

IMG_0818.jpeg

IMG_0819.jpeg

IMG_0820.jpeg

Replace the whole thing. Electric mirrors I found weren’t necessary at all. Set the manual mirrors once & you’re done.
I stuck a little convex circle mirror on my driver’s side mirror so I had full wide angle view.

Look a lot like mine. I'm looking for replacement glass but I think they are aftermarket.
Screenshot_20231118_134726_Gallery.jpg

Replace the whole thing. Electric mirrors I found weren’t necessary at all. Set the manual mirrors once & you’re done.
I stuck a little convex circle mirror on my driver’s side mirror so I had full wide angle view.

Two questions then.

Are you saying the electric mirrors are unavailable?

And do the manual mirrors have the same mount as the electric mirrors? I'm concerned about the paint.

I thought the Toyota 62 electric mirrors were discontinued - and so were the Toyota 62 manual mirrors. I tried to find them 6 years ago.
I had put Toyota 62 manual mirrors on my FJ60 in 1990
The only replacements I could find (in 2017) were aftermarket. Not as nice as the original but looked fine.

The mounting base is identical even with aftermarket mirrors.

X2 on replacing the entire unit, usually the plastic clips break behind the glass and it is just junk then

There are a number of vendors that sell the glass by itself.OEM Mechanical mirrors are available from the usual sources - mega zip, part souq, amayama. The electric parts will move over easily to new mechanical bodies. Look for my write up a year or so ago.

I thought the Toyota 62 electric mirrors were discontinued - and so were the Toyota 62 manual mirrors. I tried to find them 6 years ago.
I had put Toyota 62 manual mirrors on my FJ60 in 1990
The only replacements I could find (in 2017) were aftermarket. Not as nice as the original but looked fine.

The mounting base is identical even with aftermarket mirrors.
You can buy electric mirrors for the 70 series. They are nearly identical and are plug and play. If you want to make them identical you can take the base from the 62 and mount it to the upper shell and motor/glass from the 70 series mirrors.

Boom, new OEM.

Note: I’m trying the 62 mounts on the 70 mirrors this week, so far looks plug and play.

You can buy electric mirrors for the 70 series. They are nearly identical and are plug and play. If you want to make them identical you can take the base from the 62 and mount it to the upper shell and motor/glass from the 70 series mirrors.

Boom, new OEM.

Note: I’m trying the 62 mounts on the 70 mirrors this week, so far looks plug and play.

keep us updated
and if it works some part #'s

Boom, new OEM.

That sounds like a winner.

keep us updated
and if it works some part #'s
the 70 series mirrors absolutely work, it's been done quite a bit here on Mud.
Part numbers: 87910-60460 and 87940-60420

The only difference between the 70 mirrors and the 62 mirrors are the base, and even then they are very similar. Most people just run the 70 mirrors with no changes (the curve on the base is slightly different and leaves a small gap that isn't really all that seen). The only thing I haven't seen anyone do is swap the base of the 70 for the base of the 62 (which is what I'm doing this week, but I need to re-paint the 62 base as the black base is... well... nearly 35 years old.

Update and success!

The chrome surrounds and electric motors are identical between the 70 series and the 62. The only difference is the base, but I can now confirm that you can swap the bases from your 62 onto the 70 series mirrors.

The tools required are a properly sized (this is very important) Phillips head screw driver, a pick (to disconnect the wires from the clip so you can feed it through the base), and some patience.

Note that the screws holding the 70 series bases on are very soft and are in VERY good with thread locker. I am still working at extracting one that stripped from the passenger side (see photo), but the driver side is fully assembled and working very well.

IMG_7004.jpeg

IMG_7009.jpeg

IMG_7007.jpeg

IMG_7012.jpeg

IMG_7008.jpeg

Update and success!

The chrome surrounds and electric motors are identical between the 70 series and the 62. The only difference is the base, but I can now confirm that you can swap the bases from your 62 onto the 70 series mirrors.

The tools required are a properly sized (this is very important) Phillips head screw driver, a pick (to disconnect the wires from the clip so you can feed it through the base), and some patience.

Note that the screws holding the 70 series bases on are very soft and are in VERY good with thread locker. I am still working at extracting one that stripped from the passenger side (see photo), but the driver side is fully assembled and working very well.

View attachment 3491830

View attachment 3491831

View attachment 3491832

View attachment 3491833

View attachment 3491834
Nice! I need to see if i can find OEM black 70 series mirrors now

dang. patience is the one tool on you list i don’t have!!

kidding aside this is awesome. i bought some aftermarket electric mirrors and they’re ok. but just ok. they vibrate more than the original ones and the chrome just isn’t staying nice as long. i’m really going to have to consider this now!!

dang. patience is the one tool on you list i don’t have!!

kidding aside this is awesome. i bought some aftermarket electric mirrors and they’re ok. but just ok. they vibrate more than the original ones and the chrome just isn’t staying nice as long. i’m really going to have to consider this now!!
It’s really not that bad. The patience is required to remove the clip from the wires to be able to feed them through the base, and for getting the thread locked screws out.

Note: it’s best to use JIS screwdriver in order to take the screws out. You run a high likelihood of stripping a screw if you use a regular Philips

Honestly, you’re probably better off buying old ones with bad chrome and painting them. It’s be much more cost efficient. I’ll sell you my passenger side one. 🤷‍♂️ My driver side is broken.

Dont do it man! the mirrors move in the wind just like the stock tiny 60 mirrors and the euro mirrors. The manual 62 mirrors are undefeated. Just paint them black with SEM trim black

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom