Mileage considerations in LX470 purchase? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there. Noobie in VA looking for an LX470. This site is amazing and have spent hrs reading all the great posts.

I’ve gotten the clear take home message of “Avoid rust at all costs” in looking for a used LX470. But I’m wondering if folks feel there is a “mileage cutoff” above which for each model year you would “keep looking”.

My driving habits over the last 30yrs of driving have me logging 12-15k/yr on my vehicles, which would equate to say 180k to 225k for a 2006 LX470. Yet I often see in posts when someone asks about a 2005-2007 if it’s over 200k it will be considered “high mileage”. Would folks agree? I’d love to find a 2006 with 150k, but if it has all the appropriate maintenance down, NO RUST, nice interior/exterior, should 225k on a 2006 be a deal breaker?

Thank you!

This and many other threads on the same topic. Basically comes down to how has the truck been maintained?

This and many other threads on the same topic. Basically comes down to how has the truck been maintained?
Thank you!

Hi there. Noobie in VA looking for an LX470. This site is amazing and have spent hrs reading all the great posts.

I’ve gotten the clear take home message of “Avoid rust at all costs” in looking for a used LX470. But I’m wondering if folks feel there is a “mileage cutoff” above which for each model year you would “keep looking”.

My driving habits over the last 30yrs of driving have me logging 12-15k/yr on my vehicles, which would equate to say 180k to 225k for a 2006 LX470. Yet I often see in posts when someone asks about a 2005-2007 if it’s over 200k it will be considered “high mileage”. Would folks agree? I’d love to find a 2006 with 150k, but if it has all the appropriate maintenance down, NO RUST, nice interior/exterior, should 225k on a 2006 be a deal breaker?

Thank you!

Folks here aren't scared of 200K+ miles if the maintenance history is strong, so no 225K on a 2006 is not a deal breaker.

Thank you!
Where in VA are you? Plenty of people in this state who could help you check out a truck.

I'd say 200k miles is upper-30s human equivalent in years/wear. OEM parts are juuuuust starting to wear out with a few creaks, aches, and pains in the morning to get going.

In short, no.

It's rare to find a "low mileage" 100 series as of 2021. I'd consider "low" in this situation to be <100k miles. Anything else is just in the category of "not new-ish". Once you're in that category, upkeep matters. Bushings, steering racks, engine accessories, etc... all wear out. If somebody cares for the car, they can keep it in great shape at 200k or 500k. Literally. We have a user on here that's got 500k on their 100 and engine oil analysis still looks awesome. The engine and trans of these vehicles can last 500k+ rather easily if maintenance has been kept up.

Condition trumps mileage. There is no cutoff.

Similar to the notion and cliche that broccoli, blueberries, wild fish, tomatoes, etc are “anti-cancer” foods. They are ”anti-“ only because the current diets of soooo many people of sugar and carbs are “pro-cancer”. The “anti-“ foods are not anti-, they’re the old normal antidote.

Anti-inflammatory fish oil and turmeric are called that now because of the modern inflammatory diets of eating crap.

Same with “high mileage“ LX/LCs. 200k+ miles is considered high mileage only compared to the normal sugary crappy cars of today. If everyone drove Land Cruisers, ate wildcrafted duck eggs, blueberries and venison, 300k miles and 120 years would be the society norm.

Low mileage LC/LX are overpriced and overrated.

So buy cheaper priced LX/LCs with normal miles and use other funds for wild food and arrows.

My 99 has 190k miles and the motor runs like a top, doesn't use a drop of oil. I drove the thing 600 miles recently and wheeled it on some rocky trails....then drove it all the way home 600 miles. I wouldn't do that in a Jeep with 90k miles

I purchased it around 173k but I wouldn't be scared of 225k if they have proof some things have been maintained. mine had an AHC system flush, new radiator, and brake fluid flush before I got it. The Lexus records showed dealer maintained through 90% of it's life.

I've only HAD to replace the alternator brushes and a front differential seal. Other things I've done preventatively. These things are reliable but be prepared to work (or pay to have work) done on them. I've done the following:

Front diff seal
New hub flange
Alternator brush replacement
Steering fluid flush (now my rack leaks)
Wheel bearing repack

About to do:

New driver CV
New ball joints upper and lower
(hopefully not) a new steering rack
Transmission fluid exchange

Don't be scared of the mileage, unless you pay to have all your work done because the little things that will fail on ANY CAR will eat you alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom