Builds Mike's 1978 FJ40 Turbo Diesel Refit Project and Cross Country Road Trip! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not quite ready to spill the beans on that part, but soon enough :)

I forgot to mention that I built a little resistor setup that I can change from 0.5-1-2 ohms to adjust where I wanted the low fan setting to be. I bolted it to a, aluminum plate as a heat sink, and they barely get warm to the tough so that's good. They are cheap 1 ohm resistors that are 100w rated.

Here's the quickie I came up with:
1606933130611.png

1606933148741.png

As you can see I settled at 0.5 Ohms. Now that the resistance I want is known I will do a permanent install when I get around to it.

Mike

Another worthwhile modification was wiring the fan Hi-speed to trigger a relay that feeds to the fan. I was only seeing 11.8V at the fan through the original harness. Now the fan sees 14.2V and the increase in fan speed is pretty significant.

I bet a lot of people would get higher fan speed if they were to do the same!

Mike

Another worthwhile modification was wiring the fan Hi-speed to trigger a relay that feeds to the fan. I was only seeing 11.8V at the fan through the original harness. Now the fan sees 14.2V and the increase in fan speed is pretty significant.

I bet a lot of people would get higher fan speed if they were to do the same!

Mike

I had to do something similar on my All-Trac for the starter solenoid wire. It ran from the battery on the drivers side all the way to the passengers side of the car, then through the firewall them back to the Drivers side! Its way too long and goes through 6 or 7 connectors before it gets to the ignition switch!

I have also had trouble with connections in the fuse "box" on my FJ. The old clamps for the glass fuses were getting corroded and also getting hot! I cleaned them up but I think I'll replace them eventually with something more modern.

All this hand sanitizer took its toll on my old steering wheel. Got a chealpie steering wheel off eBay and drilled it to fit where my grant was:

1607463685313.png

1607463711142.png

I'm probably going to paint that ring black.

I love this new offset. It brings the wheel about 1.5" closer to me and gave me a lot more leg room. Also gets my fingers further from the turn signal stalk which is nice. I used to bump it occasionally off road.

Love the Japanese flag and the Italy print.

Full Speed!!

Mike

I'm probably going to paint that ring black.
There's a chrome bezel on the shifter console that was used for my transmission conversion. It's at juuust the right angle to reflect sunlight under the lenses of my sunglasses. I can always find some other project that needs more attention, but that thing is SO annoying.

There's a chrome bezel on the shifter console that was used for my transmission conversion. It's at juuust the right angle to reflect sunlight under the lenses of my sunglasses. I can always find some other project that needs more attention, but that thing is SO annoying.
I'm thinking of either media blasting it or painting it with the pewter paint to match the cluster.

Its the little things!

Mike

I would love to go snow wheeling this year with my buddy.

I started a thread here:

Does anyone have any advice in preparation for such an adventure?

Thank you,

Mike

Wear clothes in layers so you can take layers off when you are digging. Cotton is bad. Sweating is bad. I generally keep a complete set of dry clothes in my rig all winter. Wet clothes + cold weather = a real bad time. Be prepared to spend the night with your rig if you get stuck. You're much easier to find if you are near your rig, so hiking out generally is a bad plan. Be sure you tell somebody were you're going (in enough detail to be helpful to anyone who needs to come looking for you) and when you expect to be back. A long handled shovel is nice to have, but so is a short handled shovel. A WWII entrenching tool is pretty handy sometimes too. Give yourself a couple shovel options. Chains are good to have, but only if they actually fit and you know how to put them on and actually do put them on before you get stuck. It sucks a lot when chains come off, so practice in the driveway a few times and make any adjustments that need making. Wheel spin turns snow to ice. Lockers/limited slip can make all the wheels lock up at the same time, and it tends to happen when you're going just a little too fast through a curve with a big drop off and no guard rail. If you find that you're sliding and can't steer, sometimes a bit of throttle can actually help. (I said a bit of throttle. Wheel spin is still bad.) It's nice to have solid and easily accessible recovery points at both ends of the vehicle. Kinetic ropes are real nice. If you're pulling someone out, remember that wheel spin makes ice and that it's really annoying when the recovery vehicle gets stuck too. I've never used them, but I understand that traction boards (Maxtrax or whatever) work well in snow but that you need to put tails on them or they will get lost under the snow. And, yeah, where I grew up in Michigan, help would usually come by if you waited long enough, but in Montana that isn't always the case. Be prepared for a little worse that what you expect for the area you plan to be in.

Wear clothes in layers so you can take layers off when you are digging. Cotton is bad. Sweating is bad. I generally keep a complete set of dry clothes in my rig all winter. Wet clothes + cold weather = a real bad time. Be prepared to spend the night with your rig if you get stuck. You're much easier to find if you are near your rig, so hiking out generally is a bad plan. Be sure you tell somebody were you're going (in enough detail to be helpful to anyone who needs to come looking for you) and when you expect to be back. A long handled shovel is nice to have, but so is a short handled shovel. A WWII entrenching tool is pretty handy sometimes too. Give yourself a couple shovel options. Chains are good to have, but only if they actually fit and you know how to put them on and actually do put them on before you get stuck. It sucks a lot when chains come off, so practice in the driveway a few times and make any adjustments that need making. Wheel spin turns snow to ice. Lockers/limited slip can make all the wheels lock up at the same time, and it tends to happen when you're going just a little too fast through a curve with a big drop off and no guard rail. If you find that you're sliding and can't steer, sometimes a bit of throttle can actually help. (I said a bit of throttle. Wheel spin is still bad.) It's nice to have solid and easily accessible recovery points at both ends of the vehicle. Kinetic ropes are real nice. If you're pulling someone out, remember that wheel spin makes ice and that it's really annoying when the recovery vehicle gets stuck too. I've never used them, but I understand that traction boards (Maxtrax or whatever) work well in snow but that you need to put tails on them or they will get lost under the snow. And, yeah, where I grew up in Michigan, help would usually come by if you waited long enough, but in Montana that isn't always the case. Be prepared for a little worse that what you expect for the area you plan to be in.
Thank you for the pointers! I will definitely get some shovels and clothing like you mentioned.

I will not be going alone but we will make sure we cna spend the night.

Back in NY we ran narrow tires in the winter to cut through the snow, but I was under the impression people do the opposite out west to float on top?

Thank you again !

Mike

Back in NY we ran narrow tires in the winter to cut through the snow, but I was under the impression people do the opposite out west to float on top?
I've seen it done both ways. I really think it's terrain and snow type dependent. Best advise there is do whatever the locals are doing.

I've seen it done both ways. I really think it's terrain and snow type dependent. Best advise there is do whatever the locals are doing.
It makes sense.

When I used to snowmobile, certain conditions the snow was too light to really ride through it. I'm sure its density dependent with trucks dependent on flotation as well.

I was hoping to try and float on top for fun!

Mike

Thank you for the pointers! I will definitely get some shovels and clothing like you mentioned.

I will not be going alone but we will make sure we cna spend the night.

Thank you again !

Mike
[/
It makes sense.

When I used to snowmobile, certain conditions the snow was too light to really ride through it. I'm sure its density dependent with trucks dependent on flotation as well.

I was hoping to try and float on top for fun!

Mike
Tire pressure and speed make a difference, too. And weight, of course. A guy I used to know had a 1974 that he built for snow runs in the winter. Soft half cab. Fiberglass front end. SBC. It was a bad machine!

Tire pressure and speed make a difference, too. And weight, of course. A guy I used to know had a 1974 that he built for snow runs in the winter. Soft half cab. Fiberglass front end. SBC. It was a bad machine!
I wonder if my truck can do it...

It's not super light. I wan to find some guys who know what's up to follow them around the first time. I have a feeling my truck is around 4500Lbs.

Hopefully I can run like 3-5psi with the 39's and get it to float when the snow gets heavy enough.

:)

I wonder if my truck can do it...

It's not super light. I wan to find some guys who know what's up to follow them around the first time. I have a feeling my truck is around 4500Lbs.

Hopefully I can run like 3-5psi with the 39's and get it to float when the snow gets heavy enough.

:)
With bead lock wheels, you should be good! I have done more snow in atv's and utv's and it always seems to be a fly-by-the-Force deal for me. Feather the throttle, hammer it, lower the pressure, it's an art form! lol

We still haven't gotten the chance to get up into the snow this year.

Last week we went up to KOH for a corona-fest:
1613665957885.png

Having the windows up with the AC on recirculate was a great upgrade:
1613666018484.png

No more dust in my teeth this year!

Truck performed flawlessly. Ran a few trails but nothing spectacular, and mostly at night.

Built a RAM mount for my work PC:
1613666160977.png
1613666184807.png

It paid for its self on my first mid-week wheeling endeavor :)

We went to Hungry Valley this week but my buddy was leading the way and got all jammed up:

1613666323211.png

He took a bunch of body damage on both sides and lost this window. He was a good sport about it but it took a few hours to get him out of the squeeze he was in trying to not make it worse.

I did however get one video so shared some TDI noises with everyone:

The snow wheeling has to happen soon!

Thanks,

Mike

Watching leaf springs do leaf spring things is always fun. Looks great!

What air cleaner are you running? What is the CFM rating on it? Dual filters?

What air cleaner are you running? What is the CFM rating on it? Dual filters?
I ran these for years:

But just recently switched to this with a sock:

Now I have a filter restriction gauge and neither of these has registered on the gauge yet.

The gauge is very sensitive. I cover a bit of the snorkel inlet with my hand and it will max it out at idle.

I ran an AEM dry-flow on my previous truck for many years as well.

Out here in this fine dust the AEM is probably the safer bet.

Both these selections were the largest I could fit in the footprint I have.

The diesel does not have the peak air flow you might see on your V8 but there is no throttle so over the the same timeframe there will be a lot more air mass that has been flowed through my filter than most spark ignition engines. Hence the larger elements on diesels!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom