Mig wire sizes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Planet X - I was about to post without support that those fumes can kill you, but noone would have believed me, especially Ed. :)

Honk! What makes you think I'm a doubting Thomas?:flipoff2: I sort of vaguely knew that welding galvanized produced some baad stuff, but that article is the capper.
I only need to tack this screen about every 4-6", so not a lot of welding, but do you think a wire wheel on a diegrinder will be sufficient? I also have some Muriatic acid I could either "paint' on it or spray.

Ed

Cadmium and some types of chromium are carcinogenic. That is the first time I have heard of someone dying of inhaling zinc fumes, but I notice that he had emphysema too which wouldn't help.

Cadmium will kill almost instantly if the dose is big, zinc takes longer. In light of that whether they'll cause a cancer later in life could be irrelevant. There are a few more examples of exposure results in that link if anyone didn't read it all, and they are of younger healthier guys. Type things like 'metal fume poisoning' or 'welding hazards, fumes' or the like in any search engine will pop up lots of info that could save a life.

It's definitely not to be fooled with and I guess that there's a danger in the ease of MIG welding with the relatively cheap availability of equipment to do it. A lot of people are out there welding who never took a class or were given any sort of safety training about it all.

Ed, I wouldn't have been as flippant as above if I'd have known that your screen was galvanized. I had only looked at the first post before answering you.

Well, I'm about to get with it. The hardware cloth I got seems to be kinda plated with something, but not the gobs of dull gray like some of it is. I'm going to hit it with a wire brush and start the arc on the tubing then let it flow around the wire.
I also bought an auto-darkening helmet to help me see where I am a little better.

Ed

Thanks all.:)

Degnol said:
Well, I'm about to get with it. The hardware cloth I got seems to be kinda plated with something, but not the gobs of dull gray like some of it is. I'm going to hit it with a wire brush and start the arc on the tubing then let it flow around the wire.
I also bought an auto-darkening helmet to help me see where I am a little better.

Ed

Thanks all.:)

Welding vertical down will help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom