Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T - Anyone Using Them? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have five 35x11.50R17 Toyo Open Country AT III tires sitting around waiting for rims, and looks like they are going to be waiting until November for said rims to arrive. All this waiting around has me second guessing my tire choice and idly looking at other tires while I pass the time. The sidewalls on the Toyo's are specifically what has me second guessing them. The "side biters" are barely deeper than the lettering on the tires and I am known to use (Destroy) my sidewalls with frequency on the trail.

The Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T looks to be a solid alternative as well with much more aggressive sidewall lugs. I haven't been able to find much in terms of real world reviews, but everything I have found so far seems extremely positive. I like the inclusion of silica in the rubber compound as, in my experience, that seems to make a marked improvement in winter conditions.

Before I get yelled at about the search function, I did read @runnerxa 's review, great feedback and love the way they look on the LX! Just wanted to see if I could elicit more feedback from the 200 series crowd. Anyone else running these?

I was having my Falken's balanced again this past week and discount tire had a set of 295/60R20's brand new sitting on the floor.

I had been seriously considering them for next year when I toss my Falken's. Looking at them in person solidified that decision for me. I think they look like a great AT tire.

Last edited:
I was was having my Falken's balanced again this past week and discount tire had a set of 295/60R20's brand new sitting on the floor.

I had been seriously considering them for next year when I toss my Falken's. Looking at them in person solidified that decision for me. I think they look like a great AT tire.

Awesome! I think that's a great tire size on the stock 20's and with the aggressive tread and sidewall should look amazing. I know I should be able to stuff a 35x11.50R17 Toyo Open Country AT III no problem knowing its a bit skinnier, has virtually no sidelugs to worry about and runs a bit small but it seems the Baja Boss AT runs more true to size (35x12.50 shows section width at 12.8") and with the aggressive side lugs I might considering stepping down to the 296/70R17 or even go skinnies with the 35x10R17

Yeah, I'm running them in 305/70r18. Contrary to past tires (KO2s, Nitto RGs), these run pretty true-to-size if not a bit larger. They were 35.5" off the truck and are right at 35" on the truck. On one hand, it's cool to have the additional clearance; on the other, it's taken quite a bit of work to optimize the fit.

Aside from that I'm extremely happy with the tires so far. I have about 5000 miles experience with them. Offroad, they're pretty amazing in rocky, mountainous terrain. Once the weather cools down we'll see how they fare in the desert (washboards, sharp rocks, cactus, etc.). I think they'll do well.

On the highway they're fine... they're more aggressive than KO2s and even RGs and you can feel it. There's probably a thin line between the ride quality of the Baja Boss A/T and some of the less aggressive mud tires.

I would totally buy them again based on my experience so far though. However, that experience is mostly driving around town, a long road trip, and probably 200 miles or so on trails.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm running them in 305/70r18. Contrary to past tires (KO2s, Nitto RGs), these run pretty true-to-size if not a bit larger. They were 35.5" off the truck and are right at 35" on the truck. On one hand, it's cool to have the additional clearance; on the other, it's taken quite a bit of work to optimize the fit.

Aside from that I'm extremely happy with the tires so far. I have about 5000 miles experience with them. Offroad, they're pretty amazing in rocky, mountainous terrain. Once the weather cools down we'll see how they fare in the desert (washboards, sharp rocks, cactus, etc.). I think they'll do well.

On the highway they're fine... they're more aggressive than KO2s and even RGs and you can feel it. There's probably a thin line between the ride quality of the Baja Boss A/T and some of the less aggressive mud tires.

I would totally buy them again based on my experience so far though. However, that experience is mostly driving around town, a long road trip, and probably 200 miles or so on trails.

Great info! When you say they are more aggressive on the highway can you elaborate? Rougher ride, noise, droning, don't track well, wander, tramline, etc? One thing I really liked about my previous Falken AT3W's was how rock solid (Not necessarily whisper quiet, but very smooth, tracked exceptionally well, turned in nicely, etc.) they were at high speeds. The fact that you would buy them again is about as good of an endorsement as you can give a product in my opinion.

Great info! When you say they are more aggressive on the highway can you elaborate? Rougher ride, noise, droning, don't track well, wander, tramline, etc? One thing I really liked about my previous Falken AT3W's was how rock solid (Not necessarily whisper quiet, but very smooth, tracked exceptionally well, turned in nicely, etc.) they were at high speeds. The fact that you would buy them again is about as good of an endorsement as you can give a product in my opinion.

The two things that stand out are a slightly rougher ride and a bit of inconsistent wandering at highway speeds. I've been running them at 35 psi and even going down to 33-34 is a noticeable improvement. I just put on a new suspension and thus got a new alignment so perhaps the wandering is better now? Will report back.

I have five 35x11.50R17 Toyo Open Country AT III tires sitting around waiting for rims, and looks like they are going to be waiting until November for said rims to arrive. All this waiting around has me second guessing my tire choice and idly looking at other tires while I pass the time. The sidewalls on the Toyo's are specifically what has me second guessing them. The "side biters" are barely deeper than the lettering on the tires and I am known to use (Destroy) my sidewalls with frequency on the trail.

The Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T looks to be a solid alternative as well with much more aggressive sidewall lugs. I haven't been able to find much in terms of real world reviews, but everything I have found so far seems extremely positive. I like the inclusion of silica in the rubber compound as, in my experience, that seems to make a marked improvement in winter conditions.

Before I get yelled at about the search function, I did read @runnerxa 's review, great feedback and love the way they look on the LX! Just wanted to see if I could elicit more feedback from the 200 series crowd. Anyone else running these?

Well if you decide to dump the Toyo's I'm all ears...

I just installed them on a second set of wheels. They rub on my UCA so I’m waiting for a set of bora spacers before I put them back on and put some miles on them. The one thing that stood out to me with the limited miles I have on them is how quiet they are for such a relatively aggressive tire.

AB8B8D68-9310-4859-904A-36F8BAFAF287.png

I just installed them on a second set of wheels. They rub on my UCA so I’m waiting for a set of bora spacers before I put them back on and put some miles on them. The one thing that stood out to me with the limited miles I have on them is how quiet they are for such a relatively aggressive tire.
I am new to this thing and just got a set of Alpha Equipt 17" wheels with a 35mm offset. I am also considering these tires and am curious what the UCA is that the tires rub on? I have a 2014 with stock suspension and will do the sensor lift on the front as well.

If I need to get spacers I would like to do so at the time of installation if it will eliminate any rubbing. Could you advise a novice on what spacers and size I might need?

Thanks!

I am new to this thing and just got a set of Alpha Equipt 17" wheels with a 35mm offset. I am also considering these tires and am curious what the UCA is that the tires rub on? I have a 2014 with stock suspension and will do the sensor lift on the front as well.

If I need to get spacers I would like to do so at the time of installation if it will eliminate any rubbing. Could you advise a novice on what spacers and size I might need?

Thanks!
Your wheels (specifically the offset) will keep you from rubbing on the front UCA (upper control arm). You won't need spacers. You have perfect offset for a 35" with the AlphaEquipts.

Your wheels (specifically the offset) will keep you from rubbing on the front UCA (upper control arm). You won't need spacers. You have perfect offset for a 35" with the AlphaEquipts.
Awesome! I think the tire size I was going to get was the 285/70/17, will these work? I was afraid anything bigger would rub the mud flap

Thank you for the prompt reply

Awesome! I think the tire size I was going to get was the 285/70/17, will these work? I was afraid anything bigger would rub the mud flap

Thank you for the prompt reply
That size will be fine. Probably won't need to touch anything. That's the biggest you can go before you need to start moving plastic.

If that's the size you are going with, check your local classifieds for Jeep Rubicon takeoffs. Rubicons are fitted with LT285/70R17 Load C, and lots of Jeep bros take them off when they buy them to go to 35+.

That size will be fine. Probably won't need to touch anything. That's the biggest you can go before you need to start moving plastic.

If that's the size you are going with, check your local classifieds for Jeep Rubicon takeoffs. Rubicons are fitted with LT285/70R17 Load C, and lots of Jeep bros take them off when they buy them to go to 35+.
Thank you again, I am looking forward to getting these tires installed!

Thanks!

Very smart move brother! Post some pics.
What tires are you planning on running?

NVM 285/7017 needs zero modification. You are in golden territory and i think you could even go a size up to be honest with that ideal of an offset.
I only rub in reverse (+25 ET) in half lock and above on front back splash guard and even then i could easily adjust it but never do its that minor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom