metric or inch tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
I'm under the impression from earlier posts that the 285/75/R16 is about as big as one should put on a stock 80 (and also 100?). But I don't see much written about inch sizes as in 33x10.5 etc.
Is there a reason why everybody always talks about the metric sizes but not the inch ones?
It this because of some esoteric rim issue or just that the metric sizing is more popular?

And what would then be the biggest inch size that one should consider for a stock 80 or 100?

thanks
E

Beo and Cdan confirmed w/ me a couple of months back 305s will fit on a stock 80. I added 33/285 BFG/AT and there great no rubbing on stock susp...should have addedd 295s :-\

E,
in 16" rims, radial tires are quoted in metrics and bias ply tires are in inches.

Makes no sense to me, but what the fawk do I know. :D :flipoff2:

305s? oooolala!
is that the same with the 100 series and 16" rims?

J, I'll be danged.... how about that! glad I asked.

E

yeah, that's why i quote my street tires as 295's and my trail tires as 36's :D :flipoff2: Streets are radials and trail tires are bias.

Then again, I've been told I'm always bias and a few other things too. :flipoff2:

Guys,
Be sure you use all the metric numbers. A 295 is not necessarily "taller" than a 285 tyre. Those numbers don't tell you anything about the diameter. You must specify all 3 numbers; or at least the first 2 if we're always talking about 16" tyres.

305/70R16 ~ 33" diameter
285/75R16 ~ 33" diameter

-B-

BFG AT/KO's only have one version of 295's B. :flipoff2: ... and I wasn't comparing their size. Simply stating a measurement so the metricnesstitude would be ozzy. :flipoff2:

Shees, some 90 year olds shouldn't even be up this late. :flipoff2: :D

I *know* you know, Junk. The clarification was for Eric and anyone reading that didn't understand the metric tyre sizing.

Old farts sleep till noon every day... and besides, it's not that late in my time zone. :D

-B-

I just figgered you and Chag both fell asleep watching Wheel of Fortune everynight whilst bsing about the days yall used to run shine during prohibition. :flipoff2:

:D :D :D :D :D

what's this with trail tires being generally bias?
this generally true?
because of stronger construction, sidewall maybe?
I thought everybody had gone to radial by now...
E

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=7603;start=msg63775#msg63775 date=1068997593]
what's this with trail tires being generally bias?
this generally true?
because of stronger construction, sidewall maybe?
I thought everybody had gone to radial by now...
E
[/quote]

You can't compare the strength of bias to radial. Hands down bias are what you NEED for extreme trails.

As B- noted, metric size tire require the full designation to understand the "inch size".

EG: 305/70/16= A section width thru the center of the carcass of 305 mm (12.01 inches).

An aspect ratio of 70%, the sidewall is 70% as tall as the section is wide, .7 x 305 = 213.5mm or 8.41 inches.

A wheel diameter of 16 inches.

So, 8.41x2=16.81 + 16 =32.81 inches tall (or 33x12.00x16)

A 285/75/16 is roughly a 33x11.00x16

D-

well, had a look at the BFG AT tire specs (on the BFG site, it lists all dimensions) and sure enough, as J. mentioned they only have the metric sizes for the 16" rims. Weird. But for the other rim sizes they list both metric and inch sizes. Weird. And so obviously then they have radial tires in inch sizes at leat for the non-16" rims.
The AT by the way has 2 belts and 3 plies on the sides.
E

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=7603;start=msg64019#msg64019 date=1069043410]
how 'd you know so much about being snickered at, Junk?
hmmm.... this might explain a lot of things....
:D
[/quote]

yer chick told me how she snickers about you behind yer back :eek: :flipoff2: :D for more, you'd have to be in chat. :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom