Builds Mercedes OM606 Turbodiesel into FZJ80 - engine refresh and more turbo fun (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

great data, thanks for posting that up. Out of curiosity, can the nozzle position/cmd be set less than 10% ? I assume emp is getting pretty high at that point so maybe it's not worth setting any lower. Also does pw% and nozzle % trend linearly?
Yes, it can be, but it reduces engine torque so much it it's not worth it.

It's definitely not a linear relationship due to the angles of rotation and arm lengths. But it doesn't matter since you're going to let the controller find whatever position matches your boost target. I should note that the stock GTD2060VZ actuator is a "dumb" actuator so it requires an H-bridge to run it. I didn't want to fuss with that so I swapped another Hella actuator that already has it's own internal H-bridge and feedback control. It just requires 140hz PWM to work. The arm wasn't clocked right so I carefully drilled out the E-beam weld and tacked it with a MIG. Hasn't fallen off yet!

any luck on messing with the emp sensor for optimizing vane position? Getting close on my gtd2060 update and am looking to mooch off your testing ;)

I never got around to adding the pre turbine pressure sensor unfortunately. But I've been generally happy with the base vane position and gains I've made. I can send you my cal file as a starting point (will be different since you're at lower altitude).

Update - I've decided I want to upgrade to the GM 6l80 and figured it would be a good opportunity to switch to the newer common-rail OM648, so the complete OM606 setup is now for sale. Send me a message if interested before I post up in the general classifieds.

Please be sure to post a build thread when you start on putting the OM648 into the 80.

I assume you'll use the transmission adapter for the 6l90 from dieselpumpuk?

Cheers,
-Dan

Update - I've decided I want to upgrade to the GM 6l80 and figured it would be a good opportunity to switch to the newer common-rail OM648, so the complete OM606 setup is now for sale. Send me a message if interested before I post up in the general classifieds.
I'm thinking about the 606 swap....were you not completely happy with it?

I'm thinking about the 606 swap....were you not completely happy with it?

The 606 is a really fun swap, but with 5.29's, it really needed a taller overdrive on the highway so that pushed me toward the 6L80, which meant a different adapter plate and so I figured I'd go to the newer motor at the same time. I was sometimes pushing the limits of cooling on the 606 here in CO where we have 12,000' passes at a 6% grade and 65 mph speed limits in the summer. For basically any other area of the country the 606/A343F is a great combo, just not the best fit for the really demanding needs that I have. I'm an engineer so I'm fairly picky when it comes to this stuff.

It always did awesome on the trail and I did a ton of wheelin' with this setup. Total I've put about 18k miles on the setup.

Here's a few shots of some of this past year's trips with the setup:

The 606 is a really fun swap, but with 5.29's, it really needed a taller overdrive on the highway so that pushed me toward the 6L80, which meant a different adapter plate and so I figured I'd go to the newer motor at the same time. I was sometimes pushing the limits of cooling on the 606 here in CO where we have 12,000' passes at a 6% grade and 65 mph speed limits in the summer. For basically any other area of the country the 606/A343F is a great combo, just not the best fit for the really demanding needs that I have. I'm an engineer so I'm fairly picky when it comes to this stuff.

It always did awesome on the trail and I did a ton of wheelin' with this setup. Total I've put about 18k miles on the setup.

Here's a few shots of some of this past year's trips with the setup:

Have you decided to make a conversion kit to sell? For the 606 to a343f? (I know someone who might be interested 😉

I had a lot of fun building this project, but the time has come to put it up for sale:

So in the last iteration, with the better turbo and gears what mpg where you pulling down?

So in the last iteration, with the better turbo and gears what mpg where you pulling down?

The higher axle ratios don't really do anything for MPG, if anything it hurts on the highway since it turns a higher RPM. Still I'd get between 18-22 depending on the driving.

If you're not going the mechanical pump route on a 606 or looking to burn B100, then the OM648 option is really all upsides and no downside. More efficient with higher power capabilities in stock form. Comes as rear sump. Comes with VNT turbo. Plus they're much easier to find.

Do you know if the bolt pattern on the back of the block to attach the bellhousing adapter the same between 606 and 648? Might come in handy years down the road. If my 606 dies a 648 swap would be easy.

Last edited:
If you're not going the mechanical pump route on a 606 or looking to burn B100, then the OM648 option is really all upsides and no downside. More efficient with higher power capabilities in stock form. Comes as rear sump. Comes with VNT turbo. Plus they're much easier to find.

Do you know if the bolt pattern on the back of the block to attach the bellhousing adapter the same between 606 and 648? Might come in handy years down the road. If my 606 dies a 648 swap would be easy.

The 648 and 606 bell housings are different, and agreed on all accounts on the 648 vs 606 swap. I think the 648 will become a much more common swap with the standalone controllers available for it now.

Sorry Wrencher93, I missed your post, but just saw thecapedcapper's response.

Regarding the OM606 build, it has not started yet, but I have purchased some new / rebuilt parts, like the Dieselmeken IP, so mostly ready to roll. Otherwise, I've been delayed rebuilding my FJ40 tub with stainless. As everything, it has taken more time than expected and life continues to limit my time on the Cruisers. That said, the OM606 is next inline.

I plan to just finish the tub fab work and move to the OM606/97 LX450 build, and I'm almost there:

20221219_095322-30%.jpg
20221113_141428-30%.jpg

20221120_103846-30%.jpg

Transmissions like the A343f still work without electronics, you can manually shift P, R, N, D, 2, and L, you just don't get overdrive. So for all you "I hate electronics and I want a manual so my auto trans wont get water in the ecu on the trail or if an alien invasion with EMP happens my manual will still get me out" guys, just remember that an 80 series auto will still get you around in fully-mechanical mode.

This is a small park of an epic thread, but I wanted to hone in on this. I was under the impression turning on and off the 3 solenoids in transmission was what caused it to shift gears. @anothernord could you confirm this isn't the case? Has anyone else tried this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom