Meijer brand oil vs WalMart Super Tech? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious if anyone on here, has, or is running Meijer brand conventional oil, or Super Tech conventional oil in their 80? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I noticed the Meijer brand is labled "Manufactured by Warren Distribution." The Super Tech brand used to be Manufactured by Warren, but now the lable reads "Manufactured in the USA with foreign and domestic components."

I’m sure in a pinch they are better than no oil. I know I’ve used the super tech products before. If price is the concern you can get gallons of Mobil Delvac 15w40 at autozone for the same price. They even had a rebate last year for $5 off per gallon. There are a bunch of YouTube videos comparing dollar store and Walmart etc brand oils. The takeaway from it for me was they are fine for a short period but I wouldn’t want to rely on it. YMMV

I’m sure in a pinch they are better than no oil. I know I’ve used the super tech products before. If price is the concern you can get gallons of Mobil Delvac 15w40 at autozone for the same price. They even had a rebate last year for $5 off per gallon. There are a bunch of YouTube videos comparing dollar store and Walmart etc brand oils. The takeaway from it for me was they are fine for a short period but I wouldn’t want to rely on it. YMMV
I'm actually running Shell Rotella 15w40 right now. I'm going to swap back to 5w30 until the weather warms up. Right now with the cold weather, the engine seems to not run as smooth.

Let the flaming start. I don't have any issue, but I run their synthetic oil in my 80, 100, and in my Sienna. 5w30 high mileage in the 100 and Sienna, and 10w30 high mileage for the 80, all full synthetic. Been using it for 4 years in the 80 series, 3 in the 100. Read up on it on the "Bob is the Oil Guy" Forums. I tried the shell Rotella 15w40 for about one drive cycle. WAY too thick for my engine. I experienced a noticeable loss of power. I do not have any recent experience with their conventional oil, which is what I saw you posted asking about now.

Last edited:
If you want to read scientific data, and avoid the whole "I ran Royal Purple when I was rock climbing and noticed 50 more ft/lbs of torque" read this: 540 RAT - Tech Facts, NOT Myths - https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

He goes into EXTENSIVE detail about methodology, metrics, and tests tons of types of oil. The best bang for your buck is going to be on the WalMart shelf, it's just not Super Start. Quaker State 5W30 is in the top 10 with very pricey oils, and yet you can buy 5 qts for 17.99. I trust data, not opinions. And my wallet likes it too.

If you want to read scientific data, and avoid the whole "I ran Royal Purple when I was rock climbing and noticed 50 more ft/lbs of torque" read this: 540 RAT - Tech Facts, NOT Myths - https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

He goes into EXTENSIVE detail about methodology, metrics, and tests tons of types of oil. The best bang for your buck is going to be on the WalMart shelf, it's just not Super Start. Quaker State 5W30 is in the top 10 with very pricey oils, and yet you can buy 5 qts for 17.99. I trust data, not opinions. And my wallet likes it too.

Thanks for posting that link. I have been using Royal Purple Duralec, which I like. I was running Rotella T6 and the truck liked the Duralec more. However, after putting my engine back together, I will be switching to Quaker State Ultimate Durability and a Ford Racing High Performance FL1A filter (currently running a Motocraft FL1A but impressed by the higher quality of the FRHP filter).

Not a huge price difference between the Ultimate Durability and Duralec (from Amazon). Duralec is $40/gallon at O'Reilly, which IS a significant difference. .

You bet. If you read through the whole thing, you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about oil. As in, there's no need for break in procedures, no need for zinc additives, no need for a lot of stuff that has marketed well and perpetuated by "seat of the pants" wisdom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom