Megacruiser camper build? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need someone to tell me I’m dreaming right now. I’ve been eyeballing the decommissioned Japanese “megacruisers” in the diesel section of the forum and can’t help but think of a camper build. They seem to fit perfectly inside a shipping container, reportedly can hit 81mph new and empty, and get 25 mpg at 37 mph. My 100 gets 14-15 stock. Even if this gets 17-18 once built that doesn’t sound too bad to me.

A lot of other camper builds I see end up sticking out the sides of the stock bodies but I would think are still made to fit inside a container. If that’s the case it seems like starting with a vehicle of that width wouldn’t really be a downside. I dream of sleeping sideways in my truck and this seems like we could as it’s 7 ft wide and we are not tall.

The 15B-FT/FTE engines are also put in commercial busses I see a lot when I travel. Other spare parts I’m sure are not as available but “Life is too short to drive boring cars”. What say you people of Mud? Silly idea or potential?

I don't see why it can't be done if you can get it registered legally in the US and in your state. Are you planning on just putting a prebuilt camper on the back or building something yourself? It would likely be loud in the cab, might not be too comfortable to drive and may not get the gas mileage or speed you are hoping for but don't see why it couldn't be done and turn out cool - especially if you have some fab skills and create a camper for the back yourself that matches the style of the vehicle.

We are toying with the idea of doing some travel in the next several years. This would be a fun project from the looks of it. Likely a self built camper regardless of platform. It’s just fun to have projects; especially those that last several years. The issue I see isn’t overall width but track width and parts availability. Thanks guys.

ok, your dreaming.

it would be a super cool project,,,,, and a fun rig to play with.

but long distance driving and short term living? ehh i dunno.

once built and loaded it wont get a whole bunch better MPG than the 100 series, but it'll sure be slower and more taxing to drive for days on end.

but super fun project.

Last edited:
Stretched 80 with a diesel swap camper build it is! I’ll tell the wife Mud has spoken and the decision is final. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom