Medford Area Engine Shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got new motor and Trans mounts so I don't have to redo something later. Do you have a Trans jack?

Where's your new job?

I got new motor and Trans mounts so I don't have to redo something later. Do you have a Trans jack?

Where's your new job?
Yup, its unique but effective. Good job on all 3. I'm working for another contractor out of Medford. Let me know if you want it asap.

Yea for sure install them seperate. If it were me, I would get the engine in first then stab the tranny in. Kief has a great point on the motor mount. It's way worth the little bit extra in the long (or maybe not so long) run.

Okay, so the motor comes back this weekend! now begins the process of remembering where everything goes!

Cool, I work tomorrow and am bumping up to 10's next week I can bring a tranny jack if you want to borrow it but it's a beast

Will that jack fit in my focus? I'll pick it up from you sometime next week if you don't mind.

Well, she lives! Everything is back in and running! A few things popped up that I was able to figure out. I had to siphon fuel up to the fuel pump and prime the carb and the oil pressure gauge read 0 until I figured out that the sensor was on the wrong node. I got through my 20 minute break-in for the cam with no other problems until the end of the cycle. Towards the end, the carb started backfiring a bit so I shut it down and decided not to drive it to work this week until I can get it timed properly.

During the rebuild we found that cylinder 5 & 6 had aftermarket pistons installed...1 had broken rings and the other had a broken skirt. The cylinder walls were still in good shape and the broken rings and skirt didn't cause any major damage. The motor is back to stock specs with a header and a Weber.

Along with the rebuild I installed:
  • New Clutch
  • Ground Flywheel
  • New Motor Mounts
  • New Transmission Mounts
  • All New Fluids
  • Core'd Radiator (Water Pump, Hoses, Thermostat, Cap were replaced shortly before the overhaul)
  • Checked Driveshafts

Nice job! :cheers:

It's running and driving but found the fuel pump is leaking and knocking. I'll have a new pump on Tuesday and hopefully the problem is solved.

Some aftermarket pumps need a spacer as the OEM doesn't and the arm gets smashed or broken when installed without it and it won't perform well...Just something to keep in mind

The pump I have must be aftermarket because there is a 3/16" spacer in it now. Do the pumps knock when they go bad?

I suppose it could, I would make sure the arm is all there and the pivot pin, if the pivot pin failed I could see that as a source of the knock.

You could always take the pump out and put an electric pump on it and see if it still knocks. Mine was missing the spacer and not pumping for crap because half of the arm was broken off in the oil pan. You sure the valves are adjusted correctly?

New pump will be here tomorrow and I'll see where I'm at. As for the valves, I didn't check them because it doesn't really sound like a valve noise. It sounds like a hollow knock, if that makes sense.

So do I run the spacer or not?

Fuel Pump 2.jpg
Fuel Pump 1.jpg

Compare it to your old one and see if it is any different. If the arm is shorter than probably not. I would be inclined to just run the spacer and see if it works. Worse comes to worse you remove it.

Engine is back out and back at the machine shop. I got 10 miles on it and it just died. I thought the battery or alternator took a dive but the engine was locked up. After further investigation, it looks like maybe the #1 rod seized on the crank. I'm waiting on Stan to disassemble and inspect everything to find the culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom