Me again (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

little_joe

SILVER Star
Threads
I sold my '04 V8 4Runner 2 weeks ago via the club, not sure if the buyer is on 'Mud. He or the club member who facilitated can reveal themselves...

After some serious soul-searching and number-crunching, test driving some radically different vehicles - o wait, funny story. I went to go buy a used Subaru Outback yesterday, same generation as my wife's (5th gen, 2019), but at least a different color. Believe me, it was anguishing accepting and admitting this. The car I intended to buy was not done with inspections, detailing, CPO process, so I couldn't drive it.

Anyway, turns out the salesman was a younger paisano from up North, very smart and good sales dude. In the course of him reinforcing our rapport and wrapping up our appointment for Tuesday, he said something like "Wow, that would be kind of weird to have 2 of the same car in your driveway."

Dude, you blew it. Absolutely blew it. I just locked up, turned red, started panicking. If I bought this Outback, this one statement would haunt me every single day we owned both of them. We left in my wife's Outback, and I resumed searching.

Today, I bought this. 2017 SR5, it's very basic - no TRD stickers (or features), no sunroof. Might be better to summarize what it does have: 4WD, V6, AT, AC, stereo, cruise, intermittent wipers, some buttons and cupholders. And get this - 16" wheels! (Didn't know they were available OEM as late as 2017.) 52k miles, lease return, all records. While a wholly unremarkable used vehicle, it frickin' hit every button I wanted and I am completely thrilled already.

Ain't got no plans to mod it. Happy with the wheels, the dinky tires are actually decent. Intention is to drive it and enjoy and take good care of it.
1616970649377.png

Tacoma Build thread, 4WD conversion, Pedal Monster, Super charger ...

NICE Ride Joe.

Toyota did just start offerings a factory firmware upgrade to help throttle response on some of the later Tacoma's not sure which years it applies to. people were complains of lag between pressing the pedal and anything actually happening.

@fourtrax Thank you for the heads-up on the throttle response, I did notice that it's a bit unusual. I have to go to a Toyota dealer soon anyway, so I will ask about that. If my vehicle won't get the new firmware, I can see a Pedal Commander or whatever it's called down the road...

I'm still wondering why you ditched the 4R. Thought you were on your way to getting it right??

I'm still wondering why you ditched the 4R. Thought you were on your way to getting it right??
Oh, but congrats on the Taco - dig it.

Yeah, congrats on the Taco, but what's the story on getting rid of the 4Runner? Seemed like you were making progress on it.

Don’t you worry. Your old 4Runner is in good hands. He’ll make an account soon. And more then likely join the club. He’s already ordered white knuckle slider. Snorkel. And alpha foxtrot roof rack. We’ve fixed most of the small issues. Valve cover gasket‘s. spark plug tube seals. spark plugs. actuator. Only thing left is t-case. But here are some pictures from this weekend.

C262FA30-3B27-49CF-BF96-5D9697F81748.jpeg

482600B7-C70E-4577-89B0-7F661F074025.jpeg

B085ADA8-C0EC-433B-8342-D3CC5C69F417.jpeg

1D14D6CF-D2ED-4494-88ED-B51A7DC9987B.png

Yeah, congrats on the Taco, but what's the story on getting rid of the 4Runner? Seemed like you were making progress on it.
Quite simply, I really needed something I could just put the key in and go, without having to work on it regularly. And by go, I don't mean just around town, but rather road trips.

Since my Mother passed in December, I've been back and forth between NE Ohio (8 hr drive) helping my father or just hanging out with him. Susana has also been going back and forth regularly to Hampton VA to help her late-80's parents. Having 2 reliable, newer cars with modern features will eliminate a huge source of anxiety for both of us.

Quite simply, I really needed something I could just put the key in and go, without having to work on it regularly. And by go, I don't mean just around town, but rather road trips.

Since my Mother passed in December, I've been back and forth between NE Ohio (8 hr drive) helping my father or just hanging out with him. Susana has also been going back and forth regularly to Hampton VA to help her late-80's parents. Having 2 reliable, newer cars with modern features will eliminate a huge source of anxiety for both of us.

Well that just makes all kinds of sense. The Taco should definitely fill that role nicely!

...and this afternoon, my Father fell (while playing pickleball) and broke an arm. Guess I'll be doing a road trip shortly; actually really happy to spend more time with him and I'm sure we'll have many laughs and a great time together.

I personally like the smaller torque tires. Congrats on the change.

I am all for the Taco.
I really want one myself. I have even thought about selling my 80 to get one.
Congrats!!

A beat-up 80 with 300K miles is worth at least 35K on Bring a Trailer.

Don’t you worry. Your old 4Runner is in good hands. He’ll make an account soon. And more then likely join the club. He’s already ordered white knuckle slider. Snorkel. And alpha foxtrot roof rack. We’ve fixed most of the small issues. Valve cover gasket‘s. spark plug tube seals. spark plugs. actuator. Only thing left is t-case. But here are some pictures from this weekend.
@jrmudder92 I see he's already got it for sale, what's up with that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom