MC Toybox vs regear? (1 Viewer)

Should I add a MC toybox or build my 3rds with 4.88s?

• 4.7 toybox t case doubler (Stock gears with lockers)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.88 Axle ratio (w/ARBs) and stock t case

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is the plan:

FJ62 w/ SOA 35-37” tires.

Should I build my 3rd members with ARBs and 4.88s or keep 4.11s and add lockers, but do a Marlin Crawler toybox t case doubler?

My plan is to use the rig for trails, some moderate-difficult rock crawling and lots of snow wheeling. I will likely drive between 30-100 miles from door-trail and back instead of trailering it.

Marlin hasn't offered the 60 toybox for several years. Do you have a source for one?

Correct axle gearing (4:88 w 35s) with front & rear ARB lockers will be superior off road (and on road) compared to open diffs and too tall 4:10s with any additional transfer gearing.
Not even a contest.

I have a 4:1 Toybox. It’s the bomb, but a lot of work to install. If I was doing it again, I’d try to regear the tcase. I bet you end up with lockers, 4.88’s and crawler gears.

Last edited:
Toyboxes haven't been available for a long time, and installing one behind the longest transmission in a 60 might be a hassle (I had a big hassle with my doubler)

You'll need the 4.88's for when you're in high-range with the power-squeezing automatic.
However, off-road the FJ62 auto is great.
My experiences have been anywhere in the 100-150:1 range (with a manual) is the sweet spot for a moderate wagon.
With the auto you can get away with half that because of torque converter.

If I were in your shoes I'd go with 4.88's in the diffs (with lockers obviously) and 4:1 low gears in the original transfer case. The aftermarket t-case gears make the high-range a 10% under-drive which will help (essentially giving you 5.29:1 axle ratio, good for 35-38" tires with the 3FE).

I have 4.88 and 37's and it's great around down but now slow enough with the stock transfer case in low. I'm going Atlas to get lower.

In the end, you will end up doing both. No Toyboxes anymore (I believe I got the very last one), but the new Black Box seems like a solid option. 4.88s, 35s, double box of some type. Length overall is going to be an issue though.

There have been rumors of new Toyboxes and I really hope Marlin makes these available again. Mine has been flawless and the rage of really deep low gearing is great off the road.

I did everything I could to keep the length reasonable-H41 transmission/Toybox/Split case. And in fact if you go down this path, I'd recommend your first step be to swap in a Manual transmission.

If you really plan to keep the auto transmission, I would look into options that regear the transfer case to 4:1, AND to the differential gearing. THen your length stays the same for fewer overall mods. But the basic principle is to always match gearing to tires. Especially with the automatic in an FJ62. Big tires and stock gearing and it will feel dog slow. And it's hard on the transmission. 4.88s and 35s would be about right.

In my FJ60 I'm running an H55 5 speed, US spec split TC, Marlin 4.7 ToyBox and 4.56 diffs (with ARBs) and I'm now running 38" Swampers. I am VERY happy with this on the trail, and it'll do ok for the VERY little street use it gets with those tires (I trailer it). This is no longer a daily driver at all. The only street use it gets is to/from the trailhead which is never more than 20 miles or so at the most.
I didn't have any issues with length of the combo being a problem - of course new drive shafts are required.
My wheeling is mostly rock crawling. I run around in ToyBox low and TC high most of the time with low-low (235:1) reserved for the most technical spots. The control of going stupid slow is amazing.

I got a toybox about a year ago, but I believe it will be the last one until they decide to produce more.

There is only one toybox ever ran behind a fj62. I sold it over a year ago.

You might call Marlin and see if they have parts to build another toybox. You never know what they will come up with.

I would go with some 4.88's and air lockers. You can go a lot slower with an auto than a manual transmission so I wouldn't bother with a toybox if you could even get one. There was only a few 5 speeds with a toybox when I got mine. I have a 4.7 toybox and crazy low has rarely been used. The toybox engaged and 4H is about is low as I needed for 90% of the stuff I have done. How much does a toybox go for theses days?

Thanks for the opinions guys. I am heavily leaning towards building the 3rds. Last time I called Marlin a few months back, they made it sound like the fj62 toybox was available if I REALLY wanted it. Cost was an issue then so I didn’t ask about pricing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom