MC residual valve question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up this MC off of a 91 4runner with disc/drum brakes. Am putting this on a 71 FJ40 I am converting to 4 wheel disc (the stock MC is going bad)The residual valve on the 71 is very visible, but where do I look on the 91 MC ? Appreciate any help anybody can give. Thanks
91MC.GIF

sorry i dont have any info for ya.but when i saw your name all i could think about was pulp fiction.thats probably one of my favorite parts of that flick.friggin hilariuos.sorry for the chat.

If you are talking about a movie, never saw that one. Don't watch many movies but I do like comedies. I like shooting my big bore revolver and a friend calls it a "handcannon", which is where I got my handle from. Was hoping somebody might be familiar enough with later model MC's since I can't see anything on this MC that even remotely looks like what I am used to seeing for a residual valve.

try a search...lately it seems like we have two master-cylinder threads a week.

pulp fiction is good, but no comedy,
manny

Spent a lot of time on search. Found nothing. Lots of info on stock FJ40 MC's, but nothing on these newer ones off of 4Runners/mini p'ups. Am continuing to search though.

WTH! I thought after the Californication of Oregon, they would have for sure taken away your handgun rights by now! Glad to see you still have them! Sorry I am of no help on your posting!

Some RPV's are external, while others are build-into the design of the MC.

I think I am running a common 4 wheel disc brake setup:
Front - LC vented front rotors/Large 4runner front calipers
Rear - Chevy 1/2ton vented front rotors/Monte Carlo front calipers

My donor MC came from a toyota cressida (4wheel disc - 15/16th bore).
You will need to verify that your MC bore is at least 15/16ths or larger.

As far as residual pressure, It seems like all newer vehicles have external units.

I am not running any external RPV currently (only what may be build-into my MC), and my cruiser stops great :D

After you have install your 4runner MC, take a cautious test-drive.
You may only need an adjustable RPVs plumed into the rear circuit, or experiment w/those wilwood 2lbs RPVs units.

Also, Make sure your booster-rod is adjusted correctly:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346851&highlight=booster+manny

hope this helps,
manny

That master cylinder will work fine. Have it on my 4wd 73 fj40.

Go to my webpage and read my write up on disk brakes in the cruiser section.

did whatever it came off of have drums at all? the residual valve is for drum setups to keep a small amount of pressure in the cylinders.

That mc doesn't run a residual valve inside of the body. It is pretty much the same as the fj80 mc's people often run, but it is about 1/4" shorter overall. Both are a 1" bbore. If you feel like you have too much pedal travel, try a residual valve for the rear. Wilwood, and other brands too, sell 2lb ones intended for discs, and 8lb residuals for drums. Residuals for discs are usually onely needed when the mc is mounted very low. In a normal setup mounted on the firewall, I think gravity provides the necessary residual pressure.

Hey, thanks everybody for the great info. I don't want any surprises when I start the swap.

snailwagon said:
That mc doesn't run a residual valve inside of the body. It is pretty much the same as the fj80 mc's people often run, but it is about 1/4" shorter overall. Both are a 1" bbore. If you feel like you have too much pedal travel, try a residual valve for the rear. Wilwood, and other brands too, sell 2lb ones intended for discs, and 8lb residuals for drums. Residuals for discs are usually onely needed when the mc is mounted very low. In a normal setup mounted on the firewall, I think gravity provides the necessary residual pressure.

Hey, Snail, that cleared up a lot of mysteries I had about residual valves. Good info!

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom