May Long Weekend - May 16-18, 2009 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm looking for a may long trip. Recently relocated from Calgary (RMLCA) to Kamloops. I have lots of time off on either end of May long to get lost on an exploratory run. I Have a truck/camper/trailer queen Buggy set up, but also more than willing to do Buggy/tent safari style trip too. I haven't been wheeling in this area and have no idea these places y'all speak of, but i can follow like a trusty old donkey.

Come on out! I'd say you could follow Dan (crawlin cruiser) but he has to work. I'm sure we will be posting directions at some point. Problem with May long is snow, pretty much everything above (or close to) 1000M has still got a lot of snow.
GG

I'm looking for a may long trip. Recently relocated from Calgary (RMLCA) to Kamloops. I have lots of time off on either end of May long to get lost on an exploratory run. I Have a truck/camper/trailer queen Buggy set up, but also more than willing to do Buggy/tent safari style trip too. I haven't been wheeling in this area and have no idea these places y'all speak of, but i can follow like a trusty old donkey.

Bryan, if the trip ends up pushing through windy ridge, on to mud lakes, I am more than willing to spend the extra time to try to push through China head to Big Bar and back around to where we started, or if we can't make China head, go back through the windy ridge trail to get you back to your truck and camper so that you don't have to take your buggy on the highway.
Cheers,
Deny

Bryan, if the trip ends up pushing through windy ridge, on to mud lakes, I am more than willing to spend the extra time to try to push through China head to Big Bar and back around to where we started, or if we can't make China head, go back through the windy ridge trail to get you back to your truck and camper so that you don't have to take your buggy on the highway.
Cheers,
Deny

Either of those would be better than following Carpenter Lake out to West Pavillion Road, then up to Big Bar. Waay less km's driving public gravel roads.

Watching the river hydrographs for work the snow melt is delayed this year, but there's still a good month and a half for that to change.

Watching the river hydrographs for work the snow melt is delayed this year, but there's still a good month and a half for that to change.

or.... :grinpimp:

db_Customer0441.jpg

So I'm reading his report on the Windy Ridge trail, especially the part about how they got the the fork between Windy Ridge and Poison Mountain, he's making it sound a lot tougher then it really is. We did that trip last year and then the Chinahead run with no problems (which is apparently a: "This was listed in my Fourwheeler's Companion book as a class 6 route ("Difficult and perhaps dangerous to the vehicle...Anticipate a point of no return and some route-finding problems....don't go alone." - I did that in 2 wheel drive most of the way and we had fresh snow).
Who the hell goes on a trip into a place like that with no chainsaw?
But I think the most important mistake they did was to continue on a trail they never did, in the dark after driving for the entire day. They were lucky to return home in one piece. I remember doing that trail the opposite way 4 years ago with the club and before I got a locker and still had 31s, it was challenging and I used the winch a lot. It goes to show that when you go into areas that you are unfamiliar with bring a lot more then you think you'll need. I am glad they were able to come home to write about it but hopefully this will also be a good lesson for everyone, especially when it come to exploration trips (like the one we have planned for Chilko Lake area). Some days it's better to camp on the side of the trail then end up off it, down a ravine.

So where is the map?

I'll be testing the towing of my 81 whilst dragging a boat to the Okanagon.

Ya'll have fun now ya'hear!

you got a nice big tranny cooler on that rig?
GG

Something about this size should do you just fine:

TransCooler.jpg

Okay, maybe this one is a bit of overkill. But if your towing, you want to have one in there before you go. I also highly recommend you have a tranny flush done if one hasn't been done (verified) in the last 50-60 thousand Ks. Also, don't let the tranny hunt for gears. These things are not cheap to rebuild.

Be very carefull with the tranny temps. Steve Shultan's 80 blew his tranny pulling a boat on Vancouver Island. Big bill for rebuild. They can't pull much without tranny upgrades- kit and extra cooling.

Call ATEB to confirm this problem with stock units.

X2 on being carefull if it says 7000 divide by 2 and get a tranny coolerX2 call ATEB. Better Yet dont tow anything with your 80( take advice from someone who pulls stuff around for a living, I would not tow a boat with your 80, especially if it is 18' plus

OK, slow day at work, and I decided to pump myself up for this trip a bit, so I got on Google Earth, and managed to follow the entire windy ridge trail from Churn Creek to Mud Lakes. Even seen in detail Mikes hill, pretty neat stuff. Can't wait.:bounce:

No cooler on it, I think anyways, never really looked. No pyro gauge either.

Rated towing capacity is 7000 lbs, I'm not sure yet what the weight of my buddies new boat is.

Been there, done that, wouldn't recommend it. I spilled a lot of ATF on the highway and my Cruiser was off the road for 3 months; see IH8MUD Forums - View Single Post - The 80 series automatic transmission have problems ? they break ?

I had pulled the same 17.5' boat on the same trip at almost the same speed with my '90 Trooper several times without drama.

Not having a pyro, I thought I was doing the engine a favor by down-shifting to 3'rd but had no idea what that would do to the A442F. By the time the warning light came on, it was too late.

sorry 'bout the hijack

-Steve

I think I'm gonna pass on any towing for the near future at least. Other projects more pressing and I don't need the anxiety of replacing a tranny before Rubithon (or en route to it).

Even if you don't plan to tow, a tranny cooler is a good idea, especially on long hills with a grade that tends to have your tranny hunting.

Or wheelin' when your maybe revving high but going slow, perhaps with your foot on the brake

You haven't wheel'd in granite :bounce:
Rubicon chews up overheating trannies, and yes, auto's get very hot while rock crawling.
GG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom