May I introduce me: Felde and his 1985 BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
May I introduce myself: I'm Ralf from Leverkusen, Germany, nicked Felde.
Im a 1972 build and located in Dresden and Leverkusen (near Cologne), Germany.
Since May I own a BJ73, make 1985, 3B engine.
The vehicle originates from Valencia, Spain, where it was owned in one family for 25+ years. It then came to an LC enthusiast in The Netherlands, were it sat in the barn for around 4 years. It was eventually restored and sold to a guy here in Germany, where I stumbled over it and couldn't resist..;)
The 3B engine is said to have 120k km on it since a complete overhaul. It fires straight away (well, batteries permitting). I changed all oils (engine, gearboxes, axles), the V-belts, coolant and flushed the cooling system. Then the waterpump started leaking, so I also replaced that.
The gearbox is a Blackbox. No idea what was done to it (or not). But it shifts and works well. No noises, no jumping gears. Brakes had been overhauled.
Chassis is all original and there is no substantial rust. But it urgently needs some conservation. Next job to attend to.
Drive train and axels are refurbished. Oilseals had been replaced, joints and propshafts look like new.
Suspension however needs to be replaced: All shocks are closed to finished. Springs look good and have new bushes, but the front springs have sagged. There is only two fingers space between axle and chassi-bump. New OME kit is already ordered..
Towbar didn't meet German legal requirements and had to be removed. Will get a legal Oneonta time and money are permitting. There are more urgent topics.
The body was restored / all rust cleared / new sheets welded in. The paint job applied is however horrible. But, well, it protects.
It has LJ seats installed. The driver seat is however worn and torn. Everything works, except for the AC. It is modified to R113a refrigerant, but empty.
Still a lot to do, and some surprises are always waiting, but it's so much fun. :bounce::cool:

20200619_205557.jpg

20200514_205906.jpg

Welcome to the forum! The old 73 looks good.

You will like the OME suspension, my first Cruiser was a BJ74 & I can still remember the crazy body roll on the soft std springs & shocks.

Cheers
Clint

Welcome to mud!

Nice looking truck.

Welcome to the forum! The old 73 looks good.

You will like the OME suspension, my first Cruiser was a BJ74 & I can still remember the crazy body roll on the soft std springs & shocks.

Cheers
Clint

OME suspension is in now.
Front: CS007F, with 60009 Sport Shocks,
Rear: CS017A/B, with 60062 Sport Shocks.
What a difference. The vehicle came up a lot.
Actually it is rolling more now, but with good control.
The old springs where saggy with just a fingers space between axle and frame-bump. The rear is quite hard and jumpy now as I don't carry much weight.
Need to gain some more impressions..
20200927_145417.jpg

Herzlich willkommen Felde. Ich habe in Haltern ein bisschen über ein jahr gewohnt. Ich habe Leverkusen besucht ein order zwei mal. Es tut mir leid dass ich nicht mehr Deutsch buchstabieren kann.

Herzlich willkommen Felde. Ich habe in Haltern ein bisschen über ein jahr gewohnt. Ich habe Leverkusen besucht ein order zwei mal. Es tut mir leid dass ich nicht mehr Deutsch buchstabieren kann.
Danke
Thanks for the welcome. Your German is quite good. I know Haltern quite well. Have been to the local scout center many times.

Danke
Thanks for the welcome. Your German is quite good. I know Haltern quite well. Have been to the local scout center many times.

I use to go to Leverkusen on business occasionally; not when I lived in Haltern but later when I was based in the UK. I worked in chemicals in Germany and other parts of Europe for many years. Unfortunately I don't get to speak German very much these days.

I really like the frame treatment; looks quite robust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom