Maxxis Razr -33x10.50-15 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

what is the deal with the red dots on the sidewalls ? I have some Maaxi Bighorns with that red dot on ‘em, what’s the deal ? What are they for ? I tried to open up the your “explanation” but an ad blocked all the info and I couldn’t “x” it off my screen !

73ADB885-E513-46C0-9B08-AFB3669D5021.jpeg

The red mark is the heaviest point of the tire.
Yellow is the lightest.

Yellow goes at the valve stem which is the heaviest point of the tire.

if your tire only has red I’d guess the yellow wore off

The red mark is the heaviest point of the tire.
Yellow is the lightest.

Yellow goes at the valve stem which is the heaviest point of the tire.

if your tire only has red I’d guess the yellow wore off
yeah... I never did see the yellow mark...unless its on the other side of the tire. My white letters are visible, and mounted that way...are yellow/red dots usually on the SAME SIDE ?

These things are huge.

I rolled them next to the 35” KM2s on my 40 and they *might* be 1” shorter.

They dwarf the 31x10.50 (29” actual) Coopers they are replacing.

We will see if the 2” body lift on this 1989 4Runner will clear these.

what is the deal with the red dots on the sidewalls ? I have some Maaxi Bighorns with that red dot on ‘em, what’s the deal ? What are they for ? I tried to open up the your “explanation” but an ad blocked all the info and I couldn’t “x” it off my screen !
Well, that was embarassing! My apologies! I hate it when a link goes to hell on you. I went back and fixed it. Here it is again, hopefully a better and more stable site.

33x10.50R15 Maxxis Razrs on 15x5.5” OEM Land Cruiser Steelies on 1989 4Runner with 2” body lift.

B4AE0929-3059-4DDE-8271-F766E5CFD575.jpeg
DC165AFF-315A-4662-A330-975EF8DBE184.jpeg
BA5BC37A-2179-4988-A441-EBE6287131B0.jpeg

I considered the Razr's, but endend up with 285 toyo MT's, and did some measuring:

Just curious, why did you go with Toyo instead of the Razr's?

Two reasons, I could not get the Razr here... would be a special (long and expensive) freight, and the Toyo has been around for so long without me trying them.

Two reasons, I could not get the Razr here... would be a special (long and expensive) freight, and the Toyo has been around for so long without me trying them.
Thanks! I think Toyo is a great choice. They are well built, actually overbuilt like our LC's. They are considered to be "heavy" when compared to their competition. I'm running 2 different Toyo tires currently and am quite satisfied with both. My A/T's for my 80 are the Toyo AT II Extreme and M55's (a very durable A/T style tread) on my Ford F350. I ran M55's on my 80 until I decided to upgrade to 35" - they don't make 315/75/16 M55's. I hope these Razr's hold up as well as Toyo's do. If the Toyo M/T's hold up as well as the Toyo A/T's that I've mentioned, I think you'll be happy.

Thanks! I think Toyo is a great choice. They are well built, actually overbuilt like our LC's. They are considered to be "heavy" when compared to their competition. I'm running 2 different Toyo tires currently and am quite satisfied with both. My A/T's for my 80 are the Toyo AT II Extreme and M55's (a very durable A/T style tread) on my Ford F350. I ran M55's on my 80 untile Razr's hold up as well as Toyo's do. If the Toyo M/T's hold up as well as the Toyo A/T's that I've mentioned, I think you'll be happy.
I hear ya. I run mine around 32 psi on the street lately with the rig unloaded and they measure about 33.5". But the bulge at the bottom, to me, indicates that if I ran more air in them, they'd be closer to the 35".
Hey mate, you say that the 315/75r16’s run at about 34” true size, any chance you have measured the width too? I’m really finding it hard to decide between a 285/75r16 or 315/75r16, If they did a 305/70r16 I’d jump on that, I just prefer the bit of extra width

Hey mate, you say that the 315/75r16’s run at about 34” true size, any chance you have measured the width too? I’m really finding it hard to decide between a 285/75r16 or 315/75r16, If they did a 305/70r16 I’d jump on that, I just prefer the bit of extra width
I have mine on 8 (20.32 cm) inch wide wheels. The tread contact is 10.25" (26.04cm) and they are 12.75" (32.38cm) side wall to side wall in width.
IMG_1426a.JPG

IMG_1427a.JPG

I've got about 4k miles on my razrs, and have been liking them so far. I find they are more noisy at middle speeds (like 30-45mph) than the km2 i had before. But above or below that, they aren't noticeable.

I also wanted to add that my tires came with both red and yellow dots on them. Summit Racing did the mounting and balancing before shipping to me, and they matched up the red dot with the valve. My tires definitely have more weight on them to balance than what I've seen with others who had the yellow dot matched with the valve. So i would definitely recommend going with yellow dot at the valve.

I've got about 4k miles on my razrs, and have been liking them so far. I find they are more noisy at middle speeds (like 30-45mph) than the km2 i had before. But above or below that, they aren't noticeable.

I also wanted to add that my tires came with both red and yellow dots on them. Summit Racing did the mounting and balancing before shipping to me, and they matched up the red dot with the valve. My tires definitely have more weight on them to balance than what I've seen with others who had the yellow dot matched with the valve. So i would definitely recommend going with yellow dot at the valve.
how do you rate them over the KM2’s that’s exactly what I’ll be replacing, have you done much Offroad work so far with them?

how do you rate them over the KM2’s that’s exactly what I’ll be replacing, have you done much Offroad work so far with them?

I was definitely a fan of the km2, and have really nothing bad to say about them. If the km2/3 came in a comparable size, on a 15" wheel (which is what I wanted to go back to, I've been running 17s with 255/80r17 km2s), I would have considered them. But with the size of these (real 33), the pricing, and the reviews, i had to give them a try.

Keep in mind I'm comparing km2s on a 17" wheel, which is also an E load range tire, vs these on a 15" and C load.

I think these are a little louder than the km2 overall. I don't notice it as much at hwy speeds (it's a soft top...), but between 25-45mph or so, I definitely notice. It is a very low pitch hum though, so not offensive (we'll have to see as they wear). They drive very well on the street, good grip in wet and dry. Good handling and ride but not sloppy. I've been running 32psi, but I haven't done a chalk test to see how close I am ideal pressures.

I did a little snow with them before winter was over and I felt they didn't hook up quite as well as the km2s. My driveway and street are both inclined and it seemed like I struggled more getting going from a stop when heading uphill than I ever did with the km2s. But it was a very small sample to compared to (6 years with km2 and 1 snowstorm with Razr, it could have been more icy than normal).

I did the Mojave road when they were brand new, and was very happy with the desert terrain traction. Went through desert rocks, sand, and mud, and they felt connected in everything. And no chunking of any kind.

I actually just got back from hitting a trail today. Pretty technical with some sandstone, rocks, and lose sand. Lots of steep climb/decent, off camber, ruts). I was very impressed. There were some lines on climbs (on rocks that shouldn't change much) where I would have to scramble a little, adjust my line, and wait for the tires to grab when I had the km2s, but these felt very sticky in the rocks, and barely slipped all day. Also, again no chunking/tears of any kind. Today was also the first time to air down (went to 14psi for this trail), and I was VERY surprised at how soft these were. They felt very pliant when aired down, even to just a hand or foot pushing on them, and the ride was incredible, like floating on clouds. (Again though, comparing E range to C range, and 15 vs 17", so not apples-apples).

So in my couple of months, about 4k miles, and varied terrain, those are my impressions so far after 6 years with km2s.

I was definitely a fan of the km2, and have really nothing bad to say about them. If the km2/3 came in a comparable size, on a 15" wheel (which is what I wanted to go back to, I've been running 17s with 255/80r17 km2s), I would have considered them. But with the size of these (real 33), the pricing, and the reviews, i had to give them a try.

Keep in mind I'm comparing km2s on a 17" wheel, which is also an E load range tire, vs these on a 15" and C load.

I think these are a little louder than the km2 overall. I don't notice it as much at hwy speeds (it's a soft top...), but between 25-45mph or so, I definitely notice. It is a very low pitch hum though, so not offensive (we'll have to see as they wear). They drive very well on the street, good grip in wet and dry. Good handling and ride but not sloppy. I've been running 32psi, but I haven't done a chalk test to see how close I am ideal pressures.

I did a little snow with them before winter was over and I felt they didn't hook up quite as well as the km2s. My driveway and street are both inclined and it seemed like I struggled more getting going from a stop when heading uphill than I ever did with the km2s. But it was a very small sample to compared to (6 years with km2 and 1 snowstorm with Razr, it could have been more icy than normal).

I did the Mojave road when they were brand new, and was very happy with the desert terrain traction. Went through desert rocks, sand, and mud, and they felt connected in everything. And no chunking of any kind.

I actually just got back from hitting a trail today. Pretty technical with some sandstone, rocks, and lose sand. Lots of steep climb/decent, off camber, ruts). I was very impressed. There were some lines on climbs (on rocks that shouldn't change much) where I would have to scramble a little, adjust my line, and wait for the tires to grab when I had the km2s, but these felt very sticky in the rocks, and barely slipped all day. Also, again no chunking/tears of any kind. Today was also the first time to air down (went to 14psi for this trail), and I was VERY surprised at how soft these were. They felt very pliant when aired down, even to just a hand or foot pushing on them, and the ride was incredible, like floating on clouds. (Again though, comparing E range to C range, and 15 vs 17", so not apples-apples).

So in my couple of months, about 4k miles, and varied terrain, those are my impressions so far after 6 years with km2s.
I had the same performance with my 315/75/16 set back last Sept in the Maze district. Actually ran them at the same psi (14) and did not have to take a 2nd line or break loose even once.

Great write up. I was going to run 35x10.5 tires but the 40 want fit in the garage once I put a soft top on so will be sticking to 33’s. Looks like a great tire for a great price compared to the well known brands for the same size tire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom