Maximum tire size with BP-51's and slee UCA??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Others here may have a different experience than me...but I can tell you that from my personal frozen trips...while muds will do fine in slushy or thick snow, they can be really scary on icy roads. KOs will do WAY better on ICY roads than most muds because of siping. In fact...many muds are downright SCARY on icy roads. Really...its the ice that's dangerous...

For snow mixed with highway ice? KOs (or KO2s) do pretty darn well.

Here's me 100 sloggin through a serious BLIZZARD at -16 F...
View attachment 1161380

And in hard-pack snow...
View attachment 1161381

And Icy Highways...at 10,000 feet +...

View attachment 1161383 View attachment 1161384

Never even a HINT of wishing for chains when on roads. The only time I might want muds would be in slushy stuff, or where you have to grab an edge of concrete, etc. Others here might have a different view.

This is why I went ahead and got KO2s instead of more aggressive Trail Grapplers. While I'd love Trail Grapplers in muddier stuff, I'm more likely to be in snow than mud...

Anyway... Just thinkin... ;)

Markupoop
Awesome pics!!! You pretty much confirmed what my thoughts were, I've rolled mudders in powder and some ice, and my experience was the same as yours... Horrible on ice, but good in slush or powder! I rolled some Goodyear MT/R's up on icy and snowy roads and they were not horrible, but not nearly as good as my Duratracs!

If I could find some for that price I would be all over them. I will keep my eyes peeled for sure.

thanks!!
If I could find some for that price I would be all over them. I will keep my eyes peeled for sure.

thanks!!

What area do you live in? I'm a craigslist junkie... I could keep an eye out. :)

Here's my tundra rolling Goodyear MT/R's in deep snow, some compact areas! Mudders with some chains work great in this stuff!
email6684.jpg

email6655.jpg

Man... My (and your) pictures do two things to me:

1. I gotta do a snow road trip!
2. I miss my built-up 100....and I'm DYING to build up my 200!!!! Just wish I had a spare $14k sitting around... heeeheee (or is that boohoo...)

What area do you live in? I'm a craigslist junkie... I could keep an eye out. :)

im in San Antonio Tx, text me anytime you find a set. 210-838-1818

thanks a lot!!!

Blaine

Here's a GREAT website for finding out the ACTUAL size (height/width) of just about ANY tire you'd be interested in.

DO **NOT** put your vehicle type in. If you do, it will show you only factory recommended, blah blah blah. Just hit the brand, tire type, and then look at sizes. It even includes revolutions per mile for each tire in each size. Also weight...height, width and more.

Here:Tire Size Conversion
I lived on that website while selecting my tires. Then made my purchase at discount tire for a better price and install. That's a great resource.

I am totally open to the BFG KO2's . I think that is a great looking tire and if its anything like its predecessor I'm sure its kiiler for both longevity and quietness. So you think the 285/70/18 KO2 will require the spidertrax spacer from slee?

thanks

Blaine

No, sorry for the confusion, they don't actually make the KO2's in a 285/70/18. I was just saying that would be the perfect size for the LC. The only tire made in that size is the BFG MT that kreiten has. As you're seeing, the issue is, there's just not a lot of choices for us in an 18" tire. You basically have 3 main sizes that will fit with no or minimal trimming. 275/70/18, which is a 33.2" tire, but a little skinny (I will say, if you get it in the BFG KO2, it looks much wider than other brands in that size), 285/65/18, which is a 32.8" tire, but wider, and you also have the 295/65/18, which is actually a pretty good size, but you can only get that size in the Goodyear Duratrac, which I wasn't a fan of, although some guys love them so it's strictly personal preference with that. If you're okay with going with spacers (I've had them on other vehicles for years with no problems), the Nitto G2's in the 295/70/18 would fit too with minimal trimming, although that is a pretty big tire if you're trying to be conservative.
Something to note though for all you that are super picky about tires like I am, if you buy them from Discount Tire, and you're not happy with the tire, they will let you swap them for something else. Also, here is another tire calculator site that lets you compare tire sizes:
295/70-R18 vs 285/70-R18 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World

When we sold my truck we changed the tires to Terragraplers G2 285/75R17 and it fit without KDSS relocate brackets and wheels spacers. Truck had BP51's and SPC UCA's. Spare tire also fit underneath the truck fine. That is about a 34" tire.

Lift does not buy tire clearance. You have to check the tire clearances at full stuff, essentially eliminating the lift. The only think lift buys you is that if it does rub at full stuff, when you lift the vehicle you have more up travel before rubbing with a lift vs. stock.

Nice, you have a Tundra too? A buddy of mine just got a brand new 1794 edition...sweet truck.
sold the Tundra... They are really nice trucks!

I'm thinking about trying the KO2s in 305/65/18. That's 33.61" in a 12.2" width.

I'm thinking about trying the KO2s in 305/65/18. That's 33.61" in a 12.2" width.

If they had that size in a 17, I'd have tried it too.

The wider taller tyres on std rims rub point is mainly on the control arm on the lock, and on the sway bar and chassis.

285/75/18 is the ideal 35 size, and we use the Method 18 x 9 with 25mm pos to clear, and a little work to the inner fender behind the mudflap, and put the mudflap back on so you cant ell it been changed.

The tyre will still just touch the control arm front leg on hard lock though.

even 33 x 12.5 width will rub the arm on std rim offset, but going to the TRD offers clearance to the arm. We use a wheel spacer on the front for TRDs on 35s on the 200 to clear.

We us 4mm front bump spacers and 20mm rear to stop 35's rubbing on up travel as well, like Christo said, lift doesnt mean big tyre clearance, as the suspension still goes up and down to the same place.

When we sold my truck we changed the tires to Terragraplers G2 285/75R17 and it fit without KDSS relocate brackets and wheels spacers. Truck had BP51's and SPC UCA's. Spare tire also fit underneath the truck fine. That is about a 34" tire.

Lift does not buy tire clearance. You have to check the tire clearances at full stuff, essentially eliminating the lift. The only think lift buys you is that if it does rub at full stuff, when you lift the vehicle you have more up travel before rubbing with a lift vs. stock.

@sleeoffroad Rock Warrior wheels I assume?

The more I am reading on this tire topic the more I'm leaning towards some TRD bead lock rims for better tire selection and size. Great thread so far and thanks again for all the great responses.

Blaine

The more I am reading on this tire topic the more I'm leaning towards some TRD bead lock rims for better tire selection and size. Great thread so far and thanks again for all the great responses.

Blaine

Good choice. :) Here's one of mine:
KO2-RW.jpg

Gorgeous

What is the location ?

Others here may have a different experience than me...but I can tell you that from my personal frozen trips...while muds will do fine in slushy or thick snow, they can be really scary on icy roads. KOs will do WAY better on ICY roads than most muds because of siping. Really...its the ice that's dangerous...

For snow mixed with highway ice? KOs (or KO2s) do pretty darn well.

Here's me 100 sloggin through a serious BLIZZARD at -16 F...
View attachment 1161380

And in hard-pack snow...
View attachment 1161381

And Icy Highways...at 10,000 feet +...

View attachment 1161383 View attachment 1161384

Never even a HINT of wishing for chains when on roads. The only time I might want muds would be in slushy stuff, or where you have to grab an edge of concrete, etc. Others here might have a different view.

This is why I went ahead and got KO2s instead of more aggressive Trail Grapplers. While I'd love Trail Grapplers in muddier stuff, I'm more likely to be in snow than mud...

Anyway... Just thinkin... ;)

Markupoop

Gorgeous

What is the location ?

The night blizzard shot was somewhere in Wyoming at 3AM...

Hard pack shot was in the Tetons (Wyoming)...

The 10,000 feet highway shot was in Brian Head, Utah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom