Builds matzell's stretched FJ40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the side panels about 95% done. A little skim coat and I think they will be ok. I did manage to catch myself on fires before putting on my welding jacket!

0101171.jpg

0101172.jpg

0101173.jpg

0101174.jpg

Between the 6742 tack welds I managed to get the drivers side cowl panel on and installed some nut-certs for the new holes in the hard top.

0101175.jpg

0101176.jpg

Awesome build, nice skills! Question: How did you get the "ribbing" in the floor section using that wood template on the first page, it looks like it turned out great.

Thanks,
~Al

Awesome build, nice skills! Question: How did you get the "ribbing" in the floor section using that wood template on the first page, it looks like it turned out great.

Thanks,
~Al
The shop I had do the sheetmetal work did it on a pull-max I think. One of the good things they did. I am really happy with the way the floor turned out.

Not much new. It is almost overwhelming finding all the problems with the body tub. I still have a lot of welds to address and trying to get it square to make sure all the parts fit. I had a few hours today so I put it together with the parts I had at the home shop to make myself feel better at least! It is starting to look like a mini Troopy.

stretch 40 1.14.18 1.jpg

stretched 40 1.14.18 2.jpg

I have another 40 project I am trying to decide on tire/wheel choices so I decided to see what a tall skinny (33- 9.5) would look like with a 4" lift. A little to skinny for my taste, maybe it will grow on me.
For reference, the 9.5 is on a 6" wheel and the 12.5 is on a 10" wheel

33 9.5 on fj60 wheel 1.jpg

33 9.5 on fj60 wheel 2.jpg

33 9.5 on fj60 wheel 3.jpg

I also played with a diff today. I have a Auburn limited slip that I plan to install in the rear of my stretched40. The ARB is for a customer of mine but I may put one in the front of the stretch40 if I decide to keep cruiser axles under it. I keep looking at the tons that I have built for it! and those 40's!

lc diff choices 1.jpg

lc lsd.jpg

lc arb.jpg

toyota lsd installed fj62 diff.jpg

I have been bouncing around on this project trying to figure out the direction that it is going. The original plan was set for so long and now it keeps changing. I still have a lot of body work and some work on the frame. I played around with the gas tank now that it is sprung under. I had to "modify" the tank to make the rear axle fit. I also took out the 4spd trans and t-case to make room for the NV4500 transmission. I need to clean the old mounts up and then add the LC split case and make a new cross member.

I have been working on a friends 77 FJ40 to get it ready for it's new home in Colorado. Once that is done I will focus on this project more before race season starts in April.

78 4spd and case.jpg

nv4500 in fj40.jpg

s10 gas tank mod 1.1.jpg

s10 gas tank mod 1.2.jpg

Finally getting back on this after working a 77 FJ40 for the last few weeks. I received the missing dowl pins for the transmission so I could install the t-case and build a new crossmember and mount for it. i had to move the stock crossmember back 10" to clear the new set up. I found that 2" DOM fits well inside the OE crossmember.

stetched40 crossmember 1.jpg

stretched40 crossmember 3.jpg

stretched40 crossmember 4.jpg

stretched40 crossmember 2.jpg

trans mount

stretched40 crossmember 5.jpg

stretched40 crossmember 6.jpg

stretched40 crossmember 7.jpg

stretched40 crossmember 8.jpg

After paying to have all the frame and body modifications, I am still correcting their mistakes!!!!!!

Here are the before and after pics of the new body mounts. This is what I have been dealing with since I got it back!

Before pics.

stretched40 rva mount 1.jpg

stretched40 rva mount 2.jpg

stretched40 rva mount 3.jpg

stretched40 rva mount 4.jpg

Digging this build but bummer in the hack job.

Digging this build but bummer in the hack job.
Thanks Justin, this has been in the works for a long time. (years) I have a few more weeks to work on this, then I head out to Colorado to pick up my next project "Cherry Bomb". It had a 20' "mishap" but I hope to turn it around and make a nice driver out of it. More on that to come. My first race is in April. The car is prepped and waiting but it has been sitting in the trailer since november. I need to double check everything before the race, so as you can imagine I will be busy in March.

I want to get most of the metal work done so I can get primer on any bare metal before it starts to rust. It helps it is in a heated garage.

No updates on the stretched40 project, I happened upon this little guy and bringing it back to life as a daily driver. This project is not dead just put on hold. I hope to get back on it later this year just need to figure out the direction.

32489714_1024809994348157_6368934495600508928_n.jpg

Awesome so far! Any progress?

Collecting dust while I finish a 77 FJ40 for a customer. Then I will have the time and money to get back on this, hopefully!

My 77 FJ40 is almost ready for the tub to get painted. Most of the doors and other parts are already painted. Once this gets painted I can finish the wireing and then it is off to it's new home. This is my "patches" project.

New Years resolution, Finish this stretched40 project in time for Coal Miners 2019!

77 40 resto 5.jpg

77 40 resto.jpg

77 40 resto 2.jpg

77 40 resto 3.jpg

77 40 resto 4.JPG

The stretch looks good! Bummer having to fix the shops quality. Do you plan on a bench or jumper seats in the rear? If bench, how much extra cargo space do you anticipate?

I have a set of early jump seats for it. I do not plan on anyone riding back there, just cargo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom