Matt's 1997 fzj80 "Build" thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was just getting started with that when, I kid you not, a priest stopped to help. After that I said at least it is a nice day, tried for a few more minutes and then walked to the office.

I'm heading to Woodlawn fer some wrenching this evening. Should I come and rescue you on my way?
It'll be like 6...

You back home? forgot to check on you when I was up town

I think I have narrowed down the drivetrain whine (and worsening off-throttle grinding) to the rear driveshaft.(Just like Eric said)

I should have gone directly home from the last meeting two months ago (where Eric said it was the rear shaft) and checked the rear shaft.

Over the weekend I reinstalled the front and pulled the rear shaft to inspect the ujoints. The joints seemed ok, one was a little tight, but there is noticeable play in the slip joint. I am guessing that is where the off-throttle grinding noise was coming from. Also, it was installed 90 degrees out of phase, like the front shaft is supposed to be. After greasing everything and resetting the phase I re-installed it backwards so the slip joint splines would ride on the other side and it is quiet. No more 50 MPH+ whine and the grinding is completely gone.

I don't like the slip joint pointing down, but since it seems to be working for now I think I will run it.

Last edited:
ROH TAHDE.
Why flip it though? I bets it was the out of phase. But I also bet that slip yoke, if loose, is toast.
I need to refresh my U-Joints, all four of them. Maybe we should do a drive-shaft party?! Who's game?!

ROH TAHDE.
Why flip it though? I bets it was the out of phase. But I also bet that slip yoke, if loose, is toast.
I need to refresh my U-Joints, all four of them. Maybe we should do a drive-shaft party?! Who's game?!

My original reason for flipping it was to just put the u-joints in a different spot to see if the sound changed. Once I found the play in the slip joint I figured it might help since the wear should be on the other side of the splines.

You are probably right that the phase probably was the issue. I will have to look back through my records buy I am pretty sure one of the joints was replaced by Toyota at some point.

I've always found it odd that cruisers run the rear shaft backwards anyway,

My original reason for flipping it was to just put the u-joints in a different spot to see if the sound changed. Once I found the play in the slip joint I figured it might help since the wear should be on the other side of the splines.

You are probably right that the phase probably was the issue. I will have to look back through my records buy I am pretty sure one of the joints was replaced by Toyota at some point.

Rear U Joint was replaced by Toyota of Dallas sometime after the 200K mile mark...I hate dealerships.

I've always found it odd that cruisers run the rear shaft backwards anyway,

I can't imagine it would last long dragging the slip joint over rocks.

Rear U Joint was replaced by Toyota of Dallas sometime after the 200K mile mark...I hate dealerships.

Just looked it up and it was 210k. I remember now that that is the reason I ruled the rear shaft out from the start.

image.jpg
Here's a picture of your front bumper and winch being used in Telico many moons ago...they originated on wngrog's 96.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom