Marlin center diff spool with rear locking hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone swapped out the diff spool when replacing the gears in the center diff? I'm interested in doing this since I have it all apart but im not sure about the locking hubs or what to get. Since I also drive this on pavement a lot id like to be able to unlock the rear so i don't twist axles and wear tires out. Slee offers a full kit but only fits up to a 97. I have a 99 lC100.

Anyone swapped out the diff spool when replacing the gears in the center diff? I'm interested in doing this since I have it all apart but im not sure about the locking hubs or what to get. Since I also drive this on pavement a lot id like to be able to unlock the rear so i don't twist axles and wear tires out. Slee offers a full kit but only fits up to a 97. I have a 99 lC100.

Cruiser Outfitters has a kit for 100s. Also, you’d be unlocking the *front* hubs, not the rear...

The center spool is more like a 2wd/4wd conversion than what you may be thinking of. The rear will always be connected but the front then becomes disconnected/connected via the old CDL mechanism.

Many have swapped in the diff spools. We just did this 100 Tcase last week. Part-time spool, 10% High Range under drive and 3.3:1 low range gears :cool:

3EFE24B4-01DB-47ED-9095-3DA8EE0BAE6E.jpeg

We just launched our kids did allow part time conversions on the factory CV axles using AISIN hubs. We also have part time conversion kit that includes replacement CV axles.

99B38544-4255-40F0-8C0D-DFAF759843DC.jpeg

We also stock all of the high range overdrive and underdrive options as well as the low range gear sets for the 100 series T case. They do require a few additional parts from the 80 series applications so make sure you’re dealing with a vendor that’s up to speed on those.

What benefits do you get by converting a very safe and stable All wheel drive vehicle into a 2wd? may be 0.5 mpg improvement and less wear on CVs over sliding, skidding, hydroplaning on ice and water puddles? Watch Andrew's building a 20 year old landcruiser video on you tube.

What benefits do you get by converting a very safe and stable All wheel drive vehicle into a 2wd? may be 0.5 mpg improvement and less wear on CVs over sliding, skidding, hydroplaning on ice and water puddles? Watch Andrew's building a 20 year old landcruiser video on you tube.

Some people use their Cruisers differently. Less wear and tear on front end components, ability to limp off trail or home with a broken diff or axle, many prefer the handling and lack of torque steer too. It's definitely not for everyone (and for those folks we sell plenty of parts too) but for the many that have done it, they enjoy and we're happy to supply them with parts :D

Once converted it functions identically to any other non full-time Land Cruiser, ie every single 4x/5x/6x/7x and a wide variety of non US variants of the 8x and 10x platforms. There are faaaaaar more part-time Land Cruisers driving around the world FWIW. I haven't seen Toyota issue a recall on a brand new 7x Series because customers are "sliding, skidding, hydroplaning on ice and water puddles" due to its lack of full-time 4WD.

Driving on ice or snow? Lock the hubs and engage 4 High, just like Land Cruiser owners have done sucsessfully for 6 decades now. :D

FWIW I've done a lap or so around the world in part-time 4WD Toyotas, not once did we say "I wish this 7x Series was full-time". On the flip side we race a 200 Series and we've all wished we could have a 2WD mode option for handling alone. Sadly the 200 setup will require far low work to convert than the 100 Series which can be done with 100% factory parts if desired.

Some people use their Cruisers differently. Less wear and tear on front end components, ability to limp off trail or home with a broken diff or axle, many prefer the handling and lack of torque steer too. It's definitely not for everyone (and for those folks we sell plenty of parts too) but for the many that have done it, they enjoy and we're happy to supply them with parts :D

Once converted it functions identically to any other non full-time Land Cruiser, ie every single 4x/5x/6x/7x and a wide variety of non US variants of the 8x and 10x platforms. There are faaaaaar more part-time Land Cruisers driving around the world FWIW. I haven't seen Toyota issue a recall on a brand new 7x Series because customers are "sliding, skidding, hydroplaning on ice and water puddles" due to its lack of full-time 4WD.

Driving on ice or snow? Lock the hubs and engage 4 High, just like Land Cruiser owners have done sucsessfully for 6 decades now. :D

FWIW I've done a lap or so around the world in part-time 4WD Toyotas, not once did we say "I wish this 7x Series was full-time". On the flip side we race a 200 Series and we've all wished we could have a 2WD mode option for handling alone. Sadly the 200 setup will require far low work to convert than the 100 Series which can be done with 100% factory parts if desired.
I agree! Aside from my 100, I’ve always had part-time 4WD in all of my Toyotas. On a couple of those rigs I’ve also altered the wiring to allow using the rear e-locker in 2WD, which is glorious. Plan to slap your new kit on my 100 to get part-time in it as well, as soon as I can cobble together the funds. Part-time 4WD errrthang FTW :flipoff2:

The two little pinion gears in the center diff can explode (@wv_lx450 ) The spool eliminates this point of failure

For me, I'll be buying the part time kit when I get my bonus from work. One of the biggest benefit is that it completely resolves many of the issues people have with the CVs. No more wear and tear on CVs, no vibration worries, no diff drop for street driving, etc.. also, I've had to limp home before in a part time rig, and once in the 100 series.. it's so much easier to just unlock hubs, go to 2wd, and get home. 100 series required removing driveshaft, locking cdl, and removing drive flanges, risking water getting into the hub and spindle.

The two little pinion gears in the center diff can explode (@wv_lx450 ) The spool eliminates this point of failure

This is first time I have seen CD pinon gear failure mentioned here, although the case mentioned is on an 80. I think this is good reminder to lock the center off road. Locked those pinion gears are out of the loop and the lock mechanism is very strong.
The t-cases for 80 and 100 are almost the same and those pinon gears are small.

This is first time I have seen CD pinon gear failure mentioned here, although the case mentioned is on an 80. I think this is good reminder to lock the center off road. Locked those pinion gears are out of the loop and the lock mechanism is very strong.
The t-cases for 80 and 100 are almost the same and those pinon gears are small.
Incorrect. Pinion gears aren't out of the loop when locked. The rear is entirely loaded by the side gear.

Question - the GX470 has a torsen diff in the t-case - can this arrangement be swapped into an LX?

Question - the GX470 has a torsen diff in the t-case - can this arrangement be swapped into an LX?

No, totally different components. GX470 is doable, just different parts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom