Manual vertical seat adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My drivers seat is frozen. Horizontal, vertical, and seatback tilt wont move. Unfortunately the seat is in a low position and the 2 philips screws of the protective plate cant be accessed. Is there a way to get the seat lifted manually so i can access these screws to remove the plate? Also how do I remove the seat adjustment switches on the side of the seat so i can test switches to troubleshoot my other adjustment issues?

i was able to bend the plastic shield back enough on the one side with the plastic worm gear plug to get the hex screws and other bolt off. The nylon gear in the housing was stripped. Is there the same gear on the motor side that needs replacing? If yes then the seat must be raised to gain access to the bolts

thank you for any help.

Update:
I tried using vice grips to rotate the vertical jack screws and neither of them will budge.

Pulled the fuse for the power seat and the fuse looked corroded so i cleaned it off. Regardless ill be replacing it in hopes that’ll enable my vertical seat adjust to function properly. As for the horizontal adjustment are there 2 nylons gears (one for each horizontal jack screw?

AF3692B3-E2AC-4FA0-B42C-647CA3116EE8.jpeg

Also i was able to remove the switch box from the seat to begin testing the switches. My alternator is getting rebuilt right now so there is no battery power for me to use. can i use a 12v cordless drill battery to use as a power source when testing the switches? Do i just alligator clip the power to single plug i unplugged from the floor when removing the seat? Any guidance will help thank you

Checked the fuse and there was continuity so i dont think it was the fuse. Going to replace it regardless though because it didn’t look the cleanest

Finally got my alternator rebuilt and reinstalled. I put the driver seat back in the car and connected the plugs to see if i could get the seat to raise up and wouldn’t you know the vertical adjust works. The recline still wont work. I unplugged the seat from the power and ground that comes out of the floor and started testing for continuity. 3 wires didn’t have continuity. The front vertical up and down wires (R-B & G-B) showed no continuity and the reclining front wire (R-L) showed no continuity. The doozy is that the front vertical up and down does in fact work. But the front and rear recline do not. When i toggle the recline switch back there is an audible click and when toggled front there is no click. Any recommendation as to what to check next or does it appear that the recline switch is bad?

Just looked in the FSM and saw their switch testing diagram and I didn’t have continuity in the 2 forward connector positions and only 1 of 2 had continuity in the backward connector position. it says to replace the switch if continuity wasnt as specified, is it possible to replace only 1 switch or do you have to replace the whole switch unit?

Well, replaced the gears in both front seats and reinstalled. The driver seat now adjusts forward and aft. The recline feature adjust both forward and back, but theres a catch. The back adjustment uses the recline switch. The forward adjustment engages when you push up on the rear vertical switch. None the less it works enough to get in a proper driving position. Bad news is i must have improperly installed the new gears on the passenger seat because both stripped :bang: but have an extra new gear and an extra old gear. Hopefuly i get it right this time otherwise the passenger will just have to be happy with how the seat is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom