Manual transmission problem/Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Team, I have just put a 1hdt and manual box into my sons Pj77, but struggling to get any gears...2 questions, can the selectors be adjusted and does anyone know how the centre diff is supposed to be wired up?

The H151F gearbox in the 80 series are known to have a clunky shift.

This is mostly due to synchro ring wear, but they are also sensitive to what oil you put in them.

You can help the shift feel by putting a slightly lighter oil in them.

Toyota spec is for a 75/80 weight oil.

I've used Castro VMX-M oil with really good results in a few 80s. It's a 70/80 weight oil, and meets all other specs. It's also friction modified.

Two of my cruisers, the gearbox has felt like it would need a rebuild because shifting 1-2, 2-3, and 3-2 felt impossible at times.
I changed the oil in my first 80 to a quality oil exactly as specced by Toyota, and it made things worse. Putting Castro VMX-M in that one made a huge difference.

My current 80 was extremely difficult to drive when I got it. I changed the gear oil ASAP, and shift improved dramatically immediately, and continued to improve for about a month. It's not perfect, but it's a pleasure to drive.

Other guys have used a Redline gear oil with good results. I don't know details though.

Castrol also had a VMX gear oil, the VMX-M z is the one you want. They are not the same.

Did you change the gear oil in the gearbox?

Assuming you've got the standard 80 series gearbox for a 1hd-t?

Is the clutch ok?
Hello mate, The gearbox was apparently rebuilt fully before I bought (it looks like it's been done judging by the exterior finish) I got a new HD flywheel and clutch but thinking about it I have used the 77 series clutch slave and master cylinders...Maybe not getting full disengagement of the Clutch?
New oil in gearbox and transfer box.

The H151F gearbox in the 80 series are known to have a clunky shift.

This is mostly due to synchro ring wear, but they are also sensitive to what oil you put in them.

You can help the shift feel by putting a slightly lighter oil in them.

Toyota spec is for a 75/80 weight oil.

I've used Castro VMX-M oil with really good results in a few 80s. It's a 70/80 weight oil, and meets all other specs. It's also friction modified.

Two of my cruisers, the gearbox has felt like it would need a rebuild because shifting 1-2, 2-3, and 3-2 felt impossible at times.
I changed the oil in my first 80 to a quality oil exactly as specced by Toyota, and it made things worse. Putting Castro VMX-M in that one made a huge difference.

My current 80 was extremely difficult to drive when I got it. I changed the gear oil ASAP, and shift improved dramatically immediately, and continued to improve for about a month. It's not perfect, but it's a pleasure to drive.

Other guys have used a Redline gear oil with good results. I don't know details though.

Castrol also had a VMX gear oil, the VMX-M z is the one you want. They are not the same.
Cheers, I will see if I can get some Castrol VMX and try it. Thanks for your advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom