Manual to FJ Tcase (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey yall, I gotta a question, but heres a quick introduction since im new here(also to give you an idea of where im at)

I have an 04 V8 4Runner, and i swapped an FJ Tcase into it. I recently hydrolocked the engine, and gonna have to swap it. Since im already pulling it out, i decided i wanna throw a manual in it. only issue i have right now, i dont know what transmission will bolt up to the tcase. I saw someone had put an r150f behind the v8 of their 1st gen Tundra. Im hoping to put a ax15 or r150f behind mine. Thanks for any input yall!

Some other reading here on 'Mud, seems the H151F or an H55F is what you're looking for:

Now you have to help me: tell us all about your FJ Cruiser t-case swap. I too have the 2004 V8, and have a bad t-case leak. I have the seals in hand to do the work, but then I got to thinking about doing the FJC swap. Seems the tcase from an auto FJC is dirt cheap here in NC, which makes this an intriguing option - esp if you worked out all the kinks!

I would like an H series transmission, just hard to get one here in the states. Im hoping to do something like ?northboundtundra? on the tundra forums

And i just dropped the old tcase, bolted the FJ Tcase in, and have been running it fine since then. since the v8 4r has and awd front axle, no actuators to worry about. attached it some frontrange twin sticks (if you wanna have a clean looking interior, you dont wanna do this lol) i shifted the transmission shifter to the front by pulling the cable and rerouting it.

Snapchat-569982619.jpg

Some other reading here on 'Mud, seems the H151F or an H55F is what you're looking for:

Now you have to help me: tell us all about your FJ Cruiser t-case swap. I too have the 2004 V8, and have a bad t-case leak. I have the seals in hand to do the work, but then I got to thinking about doing the FJC swap. Seems the tcase from an auto FJC is dirt cheap here in NC, which makes this an intriguing option - esp if you worked out all the kinks!
forgot to quote you, but if you should definitely do a FJ case swap (its also the same tcase in all 5th gen TRDs and Trail editions)

So basically you just swapped it in w/ the twin sticks - nice! Did you have to do anything about the electrical components, and/or did you get everything working properly? The mechanical part seems straightforward, it's the indicators and computers I am concerned about.

And what has your experience been with the non-ADD front? - by this I mean, any concerns or weirdness with the tcase since the front output is always engaged and spinning?

So basically you just swapped it in w/ the twin sticks - nice! Did you have to do anything about the electrical components, and/or did you get everything working properly? The mechanical part seems straightforward, it's the indicators and computers I am concerned about.

And what has your experience been with the non-ADD front? - by this I mean, any concerns or weirdness with the tcase since the front output is always engaged and spinning?

I haven't figured out the trac, Lo and center diff lights, but they also dont bother me enough to care. No engine lights though.

I put 5k miles in about 6 weeks on it, and loved every second of it. Nothing weird from the tcase

I also love the shift on the fly 4 wheel drive the front diff gives you

Thanks so much for the followup on my hijack, @JoshuaZ FWIW I believe it may not be terribly difficult to find an H55 here in the states, I personally know several people who have them. I'll also ask our club members if anyone has one they'd be willing to let go.

Thanks so much for the followup on my hijack, @JoshuaZ FWIW I believe it may not be terribly difficult to find an H55 here in the states, I personally know several people who have them. I'll also ask our club members if anyone has one they'd be willing to let go.
will the h55 bolt right up to the FJ Tcase? thats my biggest concern right now, as i dont know how many splines are on it(i shouldve counted last time it was off)

will the h55 bolt right up to the FJ Tcase? thats my biggest concern right now, as i dont know how many splines are on it(i shouldve counted last time it was off)
I do not know, sorry. If I go get an FJC transfer case this week, I'll count them for you and take any other measurements.

I do not know, sorry. If I go get an FJC transfer case this week, I'll count them for you and take any other measurements.
well im getting my hands on a r150f with a tcase from a 88 v6. from what I can figure out, the tcase its coming with is chain driven, like the FJ Tcase, so im hoping theyll line up, or ill have to swap out the inputs. well see when its in

so, to get the r150f to bolt up, i had to get a tail housing from an r155f(2nd gen tacoma 4cyl 5 spd) havent taken it apart yet, but everything looks like itll line up!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom