2uz-fe manual conversion... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

None of that is for US-spec. It would be awesome if we could get something though. It would also be nice for someone to take the plunge on fabbing an oil pan, mounts , and transfer case adapter to fit a lsx with 6L80e in the 100.

I have to think it's possible given my experience with Toyota and their design for manufacturing. The PCM would most likely need to be changed also to a manual trans type to ignore any automatic trans inputs.

After having wheeled nothing but manuals for over 20 years, then getting an 80 and now a couple of 100's with the auto, I'd have to ask, why??? The 100 will never be enough of a rock-warrior to warrant it. If it's for the "can it be done?" and cool factor, then go for it, but it'd be a huge step backwards in terms of functionality.

I just ran across this looking for rebuild kits for my a343f due to a slipping clutch. I may just get a reman or if I can source all the 5spd swap parts for under 5k I may consider.

Why? Either you prefer a manual or you don't. If you do then a swap is worth it.

Personally... Manuals in everything for me is my preference.

image.jpg

Why? Lol. I asked myself, why not when I stumbled upon that page.

I had mostly manual trans cars since I've been driving(13yrs), maybe 10/12 cars. My current DD/econo car is a 5spd. I do prefer a manual trans.

Btw the point of this thread isnt to get ones opinion on wether manual vs auto on the trails. It is to get a feeler on the difficulty of the swap. Mainly ecus/com issues.
Master cylinder placement. Crossmember issues? Transfer case issues?

After having wheeled nothing but manuals for over 20 years, then getting an 80 and now a couple of 100's with the auto, I'd have to ask, why??? The 100 will never be enough of a rock-warrior to warrant it. If it's for the "can it be done?" and cool factor, then go for it, but it'd be a huge step backwards in terms of functionality.
Many hard core rock crawlers prefer an auto over a manual. IMHO a manual transmission would be a detriment to it's rock crawling ability. Triple locked, lower t-case gears, body armor and 35's make the 100 a formidable rock rig.

Well then, :cheers:! Haven't done the trans, but many non-USA trucks came with the manual, so I'd think MC and interference issues should be minor, if any at all.

I just like the metal on metal feeling of a manual. Auto fluid drivin power just isnt real gear to gear umph.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Found these. I need to get to my 100 to check the clutch master clearance.

This v8 would be a blast with a manual. Not into hard rock climbing and the manual would make the truck more engaging. I already drive it like a rally car. ;<)

Www.dieseltoyz.com can do the conversion for like 30k. Includes a 1HD-FTE.

http://dieseltoys.com/landcruiser-100-diesel

Which countries had LHD and 5 speed manual v8? I know UK had rhd, 5 speed manual and V8.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people are trying to turn this thread into a manual vs auto thread. If you want a thread about that, start a new one.

I haven't talked to cruiser parts yet, but my guess is bellhousing, bolt pattern of flywheel, and pilot hole size and depth are different between US and non-US 2uz-fe engines.

This v8 would be a blast with a manual. Not into hard rock climbing and the manual would make the truck more engaging. I already drive it like a rally car. ;<)

Www.dieseltoyz.com can do the conversion for like 30k. Includes a 1HD-FTE.

http://dieseltoys.com/landcruiser-100-diesel

Which countries had LHD and 5 speed manual v8? I know UK had rid, 5 speed manual and V8.
If that is a brand new engine and trans it would get closer to being worth it. That's a bit on the steep side if it's used parts. I love the idea of that conversion, but in md we can't convert from gas to diesel in a model of vehicle that wasn't available in the US as a diesel. The only loopholes on that are waiting until the vehicle is 25 years old, or claiming its a street rod build.

Were there any global 100s that came with MT and ATRAC? Wondering if think the ABS/ATRAC/VSC hardware would block the space to install a clutch master cylinder? There's not a whole lot of room up there where it would go. I have my BlueSea battery isolator there and it's a tight fit.

Also wondering how nice VSC/ATRAC would play with MT. I suppose you could always disable it.

Traction control may be integrated with the auto trans. You could put a manual in, leave the pringle switch connected and set to neutral or park I guess as well as leave the other atm sensors connected. You will likely have some dash lights on, but all you would need is a trans, clutch, flywheel, master and slave. This is a ghetto ultra cheap way to do it. Would probably kill the value of the vehicle. Not sure what it would do to AHC either.

Does anyone on here own a petrol power V8, manual transmission? Did Toyota even make this option for any countries? I know Australia has a diesel version but is there a petrol version out there? Did Toyota ever make a manual transmission for their V8 powered Tundra?

Check out the picture I posted above. I don't have any other info on it. I lost interest in the swap.

My current Frontier (and my previous two vehicles) is a 6spd and one of the big selling points for my wife letting me get a 100 is the fact that it's an automatic. I think a small part of me will die when I can't shift through the gears anymore, but everything else about it will bring me joy. Also, happy wife happy life, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom