Manual steer gear box 4wd - replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I noticed the gear box on my manual steer 1984 Toyota Pickup 4wd solid axle is leaking fluid. I figured I'd just go ahead and replace it but come to find out that sourcing the part is very difficult. I can find power steer boxes and 2wd gear boxes but no manual steer 4wd. Does anyone know of any company that sells re manufactured ones? I've considered the power steer conversion, but my first choice would be keeping it manual steer (I kinda like it). Has anyone encountered this issue - leaking gear box? I see that they sell rebuild kits with new seals. I haven't identified from where on the gear box it's leaking yet. If I can't find a new part maybe I'll try that. Has anyone rebuilt them before? How'd that go? Any tips? Going to check junk yards too, but I'm not holding my breath finding one that fits.

Thanks!

Reading about this in other threads/forums, someone said that the FSM for their 71 land cruiser said to add
i would just reseal it if you're insistent on manual steering.
Yeah, I just watched a video of someone rebuilding the gear box of an older Landcruiser. Hopefully it's not much different for the pickup as it didn't seem too difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom