Maltec Trucks how cool are they? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did 100 miles of dirt yesterday and Ms LCP slept 1/2 of it ...smooth.

IMG_2987.JPG
IMG_2995.JPG
IMG_3019.JPG

I was interested in a Maltec, but after three unanswered emails, unanswered direct messages on both IG and FB i`m contemplating simply attending Allrad this year and finding one of the many other vendors offering similar builds. I get that they are super busy, but dang. Shouldn`t be this hard to part with 140K+ lol

tell me about it, there are a lot of companies that are too busy for money :) I was ready to spend 25+ and had 2 companies never answer. the third said they were busy and i got on their schedule, everyone must be making so much money that they dont need the business :p

Just listened to this 1hr 13min podcast interview with the Maltec guy. Really interesting to hear the history (used to build Dakar style trucks), and really interesting to hear the reasons behind different styles of builds in Europe vs US. Also some big news about a North American spec release coming next year. Anyways, very cool, just makes me want even more:

Some big changes for 2019

Almost 2020 so patiently waiting on the news.

2UZFE powered 80 or 2018 200 Series? Not sure what the best platform would be for a build, but I believe they are still missing the mark on the US market.

I agree that in Europe the majority of the builds are for "Inside Living" so to speak, but look at us in the US and we do almost everything outside. I wouldn't want to grill steaks inside of my rig, but the lack of exterior compartments seems amiss.

Exterior access to propane, exterior access for camp table and stove storage, exterior access to camp shower / hot water setup.

Phil - I know this has been discussed before but any way for a custom spare mount on the rear of the camper? I travel alone most of the time and with getting older and my back issues, there is really no way I want to try and operationalize that tire placement.

Is Maltec willing to talk about options or is the roof mount all its ever going to be? I understand R&D and costs and would totally understand if they are not willing to entertain anything else, but so far, there has really never been an answer to that question.

1574096747167.png

This one would almost be as bad as the height is still an issue, but seems better than roof mounted.

1574096665874.png

Thanks as always Phil - Appreciated~

V/R,

john~

The question has come up -
My senior approach is roll the tire off and chase it.:meh:
As for options Maltec prefers one off builds to suit the buyer.

Thanks Phil -

I understand your point, but I changed a tire on Black Bear last year, just before the first tight section. Rolling it off is just something I'm not going to do, but that's just me.. :)

Appreciate the note on the "one off builds" and was hopeful that was the case for the price tag.

Appreciated Phil as always -

J

Although i would probably never be able to commit this amount of money to a vehicle, it is cool to see nonetheless. The ideal solution for North America would be an indoor/outdoor kitchen like that found on the Bruder EXP6. All that would be needed is an external hatch and smartly designed cabinetry.

1574112750954.png
1574112725663.png

IMG_5540.1.jpg

Build your own. This is my rolling idea.

Diesel. Turbo, 1HDT, manual, 3 difflocks, interior under construction, heater, fridge, lights and solar do what they should do. 90 + 180 l fuel on board.
Still sewing on the Canvas for the Pop Top, the first journay was amazing.

Last edited:
View attachment 2137345
Build your own. This is my rolling idea.

Diesel. Turbo, 1HDT, manual, 3 difflocks, interior under construction, heater, fridge, lights and solar do what they should do. 90 + 180 l fuel on board.
Still sewing on the Canvas for the Pop Top, the first journay was amazing.
it is easy to build one but problem is good quality FRP panel so far i did not find not even one company in usa who can make big panel and sale it in small amounts usa is 10 year behind europe just look at USA made campers all garbage made off wood and cheap insulation not much changed in last 30 years

it is easy to build one but problem is good quality FRP panel so far i did not find not even one company in usa who can make big panel and sale it in small amounts usa is 10 year behind europe just look at USA made campers all garbage made off wood and cheap insulation not much changed in last 30 years

It is not easy to get parts from the US to Germany. Most companies send only to US adresses, sometimes to Canada. Do not know why. There is a market overseas. My front bumper went in a friends container in the USA to get it to Europe, just because there was a little space left. Custom fares had been paid, that is normal.

Even Wits End is not answering my email regarding f** ny t-shirts.

The panels my box had been made off are by paneel.tec.de, x-line is the products name. I am really satiesfied, just contact him. I am sure, there is a way to send it to you.

Last edited:
100% brand new on a modified 80 chassis/drivetrain

Why? The 76 has a coil front end already and bolt in Coil rears available. The 80 series diffs are smaller and weaker than the ones they would have removed. The 80 series drivetrain is a huge step backwards. They come with a 1VD V8 turbo diesel. For the $$'s they are paying to modify them, why are they removing better parts to downgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom