Make an introduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey all. Noob here. I want to connect with LC owners and aficionados here in CO. I grew up here---left for 15 years and have been back for 15. I'm new to the club and new to off roading. I'm taking a drive with the wife and little one from Denver to Telluride and Pagosa Springs area next week and was hoping someone could point out a good trail run that is more or less on the way and won't add multiple hours to the drive time. Trying to get a little off road fun in to break in the new ride and give it a taste of the mountains. Any help greatly appreciated.--Miles

Owl Creek Pass would be a good one from Blue Mesa reservoir to Ridgeway. Ophir, Imogene or Black Bear from near Silverton to Telluride. Stoney Pass from Silverton to Creede would be another. Just depends on the degree of difficulty you want to do.

Owl Creek Pass would be a good one from Blue Mesa reservoir to Ridgeway. Ophir, Imogene or Black Bear from near Silverton to Telluride. Stoney Pass from Silverton to Creede would be another. Just depends on the degree of difficulty you want to do.
Excellent. I'll check them out. Thanks!

Owl creek pass is a lot of fun and does not add much time vs pavement. Silver Jack reservoir is a really cool place to stop and cool your feet or do some fishing. Plus you drive right past Chimney rock which is a bonus.

Owl creek pass is a lot of fun and does not add much time vs pavement. Silver Jack reservoir is a really cool place to stop and cool your feet or do some fishing. Plus you drive right past Chimney rock which is a bonus.
Thanks Mark. We may do that. I think Imogene pass is going to happen too but the wife and 7 year old will probably give that a pass (so to speak) because they don;t like the heights and sheer drops.

I second Ophir as an option. Its tame, just rocky, definitely not as high as Imogene!

Thanks Kyle and Mark. My wife and little one won't deal well with Imogene---I watched some videos. I'll probably do it solo early one morning. Glad to have Ophir as a more viable option.

Thanks Kyle and Mark. My wife and little one won't deal well with Imogene---I watched some videos. I'll probably do it solo early one morning. Glad to have Ophir as a more viable option.

My family returned yesterday from Lake City where we ventured on a lot of trails like Imogene, Ophir, Mineral, etc. If anyone in your family has a fear of heights and/or extreme exposure to steep drop-offs, then do NOT take them on:
  • Imogene
  • Ophir
  • Engineer
  • Cinnamon
  • Black Bear (It was closed when we were there)
  • Corkscrew / California / Hurricane
  • Stony Pass
  • Clear Lake
  • Governor Basin

Imogene will require 3-4 hours Ouray-Telluride. The Southern side (Telluride side) of Imogene is not for the novice or anyone with fear of heights. And Ophir is not for the faint of heart because the rock is very slippery even when dry (like flat shale) and the exposure is intense. These trails also hold true if you have ZERO experience on a real 4x4 mining road with the inherent risks of damaging the vehicle, serious bodily injury/death. On those trails and a few more not mentioned, there are places where there is no margin for a mistake.

The road going up to the start of Governor's Basin, Yankee Boy Basin, and the northern entrance to Imogene is beautiful but has one section of road that was cut out of the rock with a drop off over 500 feet. If your family can deal with that one section, then go do part/all of Yankee Boy Basin. It is VERY rocky and bumpy. Your Cruiser can handle it but it's gonna be a slow-go over the rocky road. The view at Yankee Basin is ok and imho, not worth the slow-go at the upper section of Yankee.

If you drive on the "scary" section of 550 which is about 5 miles from Ouray going south, many drivers heading south cross the double yellow because of their fear - no guard rails, steep drop-off, and the edge of the road is where the cliff begins. So be mindful of this to avoid hitting oncoming cars.

Mineral Creek is 2-3 hours from the Ouray side to where the road meets the turn-off to Engineer Pass. Passing on this trail is very limited and there's one spot that could be intimidating for those with fear of heights. There's a strong likelihood of body damage if you have no experience with tire placement and driving over rocks. And if you take this trail and want to venture into Animas Forks, the section from the Engineer turn-off to Animas Forks will also test your fear of heights and exposure.

I recommend Red Mountain Mining area. It's one of the few in the area I've not driven on. According to Wells & Peterson's book "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4 Wheel Drive", this road is "Easy. A fun, meandering road covering a variety of terrain from gradual gravel to narrow two-track. Suitable for all stock 4x4 SUVs with moderate ground clearance...do not drive this route during wet periods." The road is about 10 miles south of Ouray on 550, turning east on CR 31.

After doing a lot of 4x4 trails here in CO, I've seen many people on the trails who have no business being on them whether it's their vehicle, fear of heights, of having no clue how to drive on them - especially when it comes to passing a full-size vehicle at high altitude on a narrow road with a steep drop-off.

(1) Never drive above treeline in a storm or with the threat of a storm unless it's the best course of action. Lightning has been known to melt all the plastic and wires in the dash and render a vehicle un-useable.
(2) Most, if not all, of the 4x4 roads in CO are very dusty when dry (like last week). I recommend keeping the windows up, the a/c on recirc, and using an old air filter for the trails.
(3) Due to the rocks and dirt that comprises most of the CO back roads, they become VERY slippery when wet. If this happens to you, always keep your rig in a place so that if it slides a few feet, you won't go over the edge. If your rig is caught in an uncontrollable slide, it's better to aim for the rock wall than to go over the edge.
(4) When you enter a switchback, go about half way before you start your turn. Otherwise the back tire can get caught by a rock/tree/edge and you'll put the rig in a bad position in case you need to back up.

A few years ago my wife and I were walking the southern part of Schofield Pass. Coming from the Marble side we saw a very expensive Mercedes SUV that had scratches, dents, and scraps on all four sides. The rims looked like they were cut like a hot knife in butter. The side mirrors were ripped off. Windows were busted. The metal on the right side of the vehicle and been cut severely by the rocks on the rock wall. There was one guy driving and 3 people walking behind the vehicle. They were all freaked out. Rightfully so. People have died on Schofield. Those people took the road without doing any research about it. The section near Marble is easy. After the bridge towards Crested Butte the road (if you can call it that) becomes very narrow with no room to pass even a bicycle. After that group passed the bridge where backing up was dangerous, they choose the best driver to finish the trail while the others would walk solely because 3 survivors is better than 0.

Keep these things in your mind:
  1. The road and weather conditions need to be good.
  2. The mountains create their own weather. I've seen Colorado mountains have hot and sunny to severe thunderstorms in minutes. Always watch the sky.
  3. You need the right vehicle that is capable, like a Land Cruiser, and be sure it's in tip-top shape.
  4. Gotta have capable tires.
  5. You need experience.
  6. Always trust your instinct and make decisions calmly.
  7. NEVER allow a driver in another vehicle to tell you where to place your rig if you are NOT in agreement. Last week a tour operator at the top of Imogene insisted I move my rig to a very unsafe position that could potentially hurt others - especially my wife who was by the Imogen sign and was in harm's way. In front of all the tourists and other tour drivers, I confronted him point-blank about his arrogance who put lives at risk. I spoke with the company owner who was angry at his driver and very apologetic. Side note: what happened could influence the Forest Service to move the "Imogene Pass" sign to the flat area to prevent people and vehicle congestion where the southern and northern trails meet at the top.
  8. It's ok to say no and save the trail for another day.
I'm more than glad to talk by phone if need be.

Last edited:
My family returned yesterday from Lake City where we ventured on a lot of trails like Imogene, Ophir, Mineral, etc. If anyone in your family has a fear of heights and/or extreme exposure to steep drop-offs, then do NOT take them on:
  • Imogene
  • Ophir
  • Engineer
  • Cinnamon
  • Stony Pass
  • Clear Lake
  • Governor Basin

Imogene will require 3-4 hours Ouray-Telluride. The Southern side (Telluride side) of Imogene is not for the novice or anyone with fear of heights. And Ophir is not for the faint of heart because the rock is very slippery even when dry (like flat shale) and the exposure is intense. These trails also hold true if you have ZERO experience on a real 4x4 mining road with the inherent risks of damaging the vehicle, serious bodily injury/death. On those trails and a few more not mentioned, there are places where there is no margin for a mistake.

The road going up to the start of Governor's Basin, Yankee Boy Basin, and the northern entrance to Imogene is beautiful but has one section of road that was cut out of the rock with a drop off over 500 feet. If your family can deal with that one section, then go do part/all of Yankee Boy Basin. It is VERY rocky and bumpy. Your Cruiser can handle it but it's gonna be a slow-go over the rocky road. The view at Yankee Basin is ok and imho, not worth the slow-go at the upper section of Yankee.

If you drive on the "scary" section of 550 which is about 5 miles from Ouray going south, many drivers heading south cross the double yellow because of their fear - no guard rails, steep drop-off, and the edge of the road is where the cliff begins. So be mindful of this to avoid hitting oncoming cars.

Mineral Creek is 2-3 hours from the Ouray side to where the road meets the turn-off to Engineer Pass. Passing on this trail is very limited and there's one spot that could be intimidating for those with fear of heights. There's a strong likelihood of body damage if you have no experience with tire placement and driving over rocks. And if you take this trail and want to venture into Animas Forks, the section from the Engineer turn-off to Animas Forks will also test your fear of heights and exposure.

I recommend Red Mountain Mining area. It's one of the few in the area I've not driven on. According to Wells & Peterson's book "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4 Wheel Drive", this road is "Easy. A fun, meandering road covering a variety of terrain from gradual gravel to narrow two-track. Suitable for all stock 4x4 SUVs with moderate ground clearance...do not drive this route during wet periods." The road is about 10 miles south of Ouray on 550, turning east on CR 31.

After doing a lot of 4x4 trails here in CO, I've seen many people on the trails who have no business being on them whether it's their vehicle, fear of heights, of having no clue how to drive on them - especially when it comes to passing a full-size vehicle at high altitude on a narrow road with a steep drop-off.

(1) Never drive above treeline in a storm or with the threat of a storm unless it's the best course of action. Lightning has been known to melt all the plastic and wires in the dash and render a vehicle un-useable.
(2) Most, if not all, of the 4x4 roads in CO are very dusty when dry (like last week). I recommend keeping the windows up, the a/c on recirc, and using an old air filter for the trails.
(3) Due to the rocks and dirt that comprises most of the CO back roads, they become VERY slippery when wet. If this happens to you, always keep your rig in a place so that if it slides a few feet, you won't go over the edge. If your rig is caught in an uncontrollable slide, it's better to aim for the rock wall than to go over the edge.
(4) When you enter a switchback, go about half way before you start your turn. Otherwise the back tire can get caught by a rock/tree/edge and you'll put the rig in a bad position in case you need to back up.

A few years ago my wife and I were walking the southern part of Schofield Pass. Coming from the Marble side we saw a very expensive Mercedes SUV that had scratches, dents, and scraps on all four sides. The rims looked like they were cut like a hot knife in butter. The side mirrors were ripped off. Windows were busted. The metal on the right side of the vehicle and been cut severely by the rocks on the rock wall. There was one guy driving and 3 people walking behind the vehicle. They were all freaked out. Rightfully so. People have died on Schofield. Those people took the road without doing any research about it. The section near Marble is easy. After the bridge towards Crested Butte the road (if you can call it that) becomes very narrow with no room to pass even a bicycle. After that group passed the bridge where backing up was dangerous, they choose the best driver to finish the trail while the others would walk solely because 3 survivors is better than 0.

2. The mountains create their own weather. I've seen Colorado mountains have hot and sunny to severe thunderstorms in minutes. Always watch the sky.
  3. You need the right vehicle that is capable, like a Land Cruiser, and be sure it's in tip-top shape.
  5. You need experience.
  7. NEVER allow a driver in another vehicle to tell you where to place your rig if you are NOT in agreement. Last week a tour operator at the top of Imogene insisted I move my rig to a very unsafe position that could potentially hurt others - especially my wife who was by the Imogen sign and was in harm's way. In front of all the tourists and other tour drivers, I confronted him point-blank about his arrogance who put lives at risk. I spoke with the company owner who was angry at his driver and very apologetic. Side note: what happened could influence the Forest Service to move the "Imogene Pass" sign to the flat area to prevent people and vehicle congestion where the southern and northern trails meet at the top.

I think I might just stay in the house for the rest of my life.

• Imogene
  • Ophir
  • Engineer
  • Cinnamon
  • Stony Pass
  • Clear Lake
  • Governor Basin

5. You need experience.

Kidding aside. This is all very helpful. I'm very comfortable behind the wheel and with aforementioned exposure and am not new to navigating the CO mountains. I'm aware of the dangers and will take all necessary precautions and your response and input is thought provoking to say the least.

Don't let it scare you, many of the trails are pretty tame down there. I agree, Imogene has become nasty, Black Bear is more technical, but only in a few sections, pretty much everything down there has exposure. Corkscrew, Ophir, California...some of my favorite trails. Also, much depends on how much traffic and snow the trails receive. They plow the upper portions and grate the roads during snowy years. If its been a poor snowfall winter, then it can have a couple of years worth of trail damage, with more difficult conditions. Imogene and Cinnamon a couple years ago were bad.

Kidding aside. This is all very helpful. I'm very comfortable behind the wheel and with aforementioned exposure and am not new to navigating the CO mountains. I'm aware of the dangers and will take all necessary precautions and your response and input is thought provoking to say the least.

You're a very wise 4x4 driver. I said all of that because those of us who've been on those trails have come across drivers who shouldn't be back there. Most of the trails are easy, generally speaking. Some of the trails are difficult in only a few places, like Black Bear. Imogene isn't difficult but it's easier tackled going from Ouray to Telluride. Corkscrew isn't difficult but easier going up than down. However, many noobs find themselves on these trails and come to a freak-out spot and lose their focus. Even Engineer Pass is very easy on the eastern side.... it's just the western side where passing is limited and there's lots of exposure. The Cruiser with the right tires, driver, and weather conditions can handle it. But, even weather can set your plans aside. We were 2/3 of the way up Clear Lake but cancelled due to approaching bad weather.

Saying hi to the local land cruiser folks. I just moved here from California. My wife and I have a 2000 LC that I've been building during quarantine, and a 67 FJ 40 that is partly restored. Things are hectic with the move and work starting in about a week, but I'd like to connect with fellow cruiserheads sometime. Im in the Springs.
IMG_20200606_140111-01.jpeg

Project Low Ryder build thread
No pictures of the 40 on this device. I'll try and find one on the wife's phone.

image000000-01.jpeg

Here's both from several months ago when the 100 was nearly stock

Last edited:
Hello,

I am moving from Arvada to Woodland Park at the end of this month. I'm currently a member of the Rising Sun 4x4 club here in the Denver area. I own a 2008 200 series. I look forward to meeting and joining some of you on future runs in the Colorado Springs area!

Jameson Dion

PSX_20191011_171556.jpg

PSX_20201007_220642.jpg

Hello,

I am moving from Arvada to Woodland Park at the end of this month. I'm currently a member of the Rising Sun 4x4 club here in the Denver area. I own a 2008 200 series. I look forward to meeting and joining some of you on future runs in the Colorado Springs area!

Jameson Dion

View attachment 2469646

View attachment 2469647
Welcome Jameson! Nice 200, look forward to seeing you on some club runs. We are doing China Wall in Nov (Third Saturday). Keep an eye out for the post on the club forum.

Hey all, just found this clubhouse, so here is a quick introduction. I'm DJ, or Danger Noodle. I am 19 and currently living in Divide with my parents, and going to school up at Western University in Gunnison. I've lived in CO all my life, and my dad introduced me to land cruisers when I was about 4. I've been hooked ever since. (Not so great on the wallet, but great for memories). I am currently working on my 78 FJ40 (Build thread here: Builds - 1978 FJ40 Crawler Build) and usually run around with my dad's 78 FJ40 for wheeling trips with him. I'd love to join you guys for some runs, so I'll be watching here from now on.

Anyway, here are some pictures since I know you all love those.

My dad's cruiser:

20200930_165203.jpg

The previous state of my build, now more disassembled:

20200922_220826.jpg

Anyways, you can find me floating around in the 40 section or chat.

-Noodle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom